Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite thinks there is a wired backhaul when there is not

wfujkramer
Tutor

Orbi satellite thinks there is a wired backhaul when there is not

Hi, I successfully set up my Orbi + Satellite system (AX6000 / RBK852) where the main router is hard wired to the cable modem and the satellite backhaul was via wiress.  Worked great. 

Later decided that I in fact wanted to hard wire a few devices to the Orbi satellite to get even better speeds. So I plugged one directly into the satellite via ethernet, and ran a second ethernet cord to another side of the house where it connects to a Netgear unmanaged switch and four devices plug into that.  Now all devices that connect to the satellite router (wired or wireless) get an extremely low upload/download speed. It used to be 500mb/s (and over 1000 at the main router), and now it's 4.  I couldn't imagine what was wrong so I logged in to the router via th web interface and found that the Satellite is reporting that it has a "wired" connection.  I wonder if it thinks it has a wired backhaul to the router, when in reality one of the connecting devices (maybe a sonos speaker) might be giving it a drop of courtsy internet access instead. 

How can I tell the satellite "You don't have any wired backhaul, switch back to wireless".  or alternatively is there another problem that might be present?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
DatabaseJase
Luminary

Unfortunately a wired SONOS device will make the satellite think it has a wired backhaul. This is something to do with SONOS Net and I've not ever found a way to solve this. You'll have to only wire the SONOS devices to the router or run a wired backhaul from the satellite to the router. This is very frustrating and I've never found a fix.

EDIT: What I do have is a workaround but at additional cost. We use Powerline (Devolo in our case) for the SONOS devices that are wired with another Powerline adaptor connected to the router (not the satellite as this causes the same issue).  You don't need to buy the best Powerline devices as SONOS devices only have a 10/100 ethernet port which is fine for their audio only use.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@wfujkramer wrote:

Hi, I successfully set up my Orbi + Satellite system (AX6000 / RBK852) where the main router is hard wired to the cable modem and the satellite backhaul was via wiress.  Worked great. 

Later decided that I in fact wanted to hard wire a few devices to the Orbi satellite to get even better speeds. So I plugged one directly into the satellite via ethernet, and ran a second ethernet cord to another side of the house where it connects to a Netgear unmanaged switch and four devices plug into that.  Now all devices that connect to the satellite router (wired or wireless) get an extremely low upload/download speed. It used to be 500mb/s (and over 1000 at the main router), and now it's 4.  I couldn't imagine what was wrong so I logged in to the router via th web interface and found that the Satellite is reporting that it has a "wired" connection.  I wonder if it thinks it has a wired backhaul to the router, when in reality one of the connecting devices (maybe a sonos speaker) might be giving it a drop of courtsy internet access instead. 

How can I tell the satellite "You don't have any wired backhaul, switch back to wireless".  or alternatively is there another problem that might be present?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7