Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellites lost connection and will not re-connect

MarkB8019
Aspirant

Orbi satellites lost connection and will not re-connect

Hi,

Over night the other evening, all 4 of my Orbi satellites went offline and nearly all devices lost connection.

I initially tried power cycling the satellites, but they would not re-connect.

I then decided to factory reset the whole system. The main router came back online fine and I was able to set it up from scratch again.  However, it will not find and sync with any of the satellites.

I tried connecting each satellite directly to my laptop in order to flash the firmware to the latest version, but could not access the web interface at all.

I then attempted to flash it via TFTP, but the connection failed each and every time.

The only way I have been able to get into the web interface for the satellites is by connecting each one to the main router with a cable and finding the IP address.

I have now factory reset each satellite and manually flashed the FW, but it still will not find any of the satellites.

I have phoned NG a number of times, but keep getting cut off.

Does anybody have any ideas at all.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What happens if you hardwire a satellite into the router and sync it? 

Message 2 of 6
MarkB8019
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I assuming by syncing, you just mean hard wiring the router and the satellite and pressing the sync button on each box?

If this is the case, it doesn't do anything!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

If you open the web GUI page to the router do the satellites appear on the "Attached Devices" page? If so, turn off your sats and go back to the router web GUI and delete ("forget") the sats. After the router shows them gone, re-initialize the sats using the web GUI. Suggest using Chrome, Firefox or, Edge for the browser. Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
MarkB8019
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help.

I have finally managed to get this sorted.  However, it took me a good day and a half to get things working again.

Essentially, I think it was something to do with the firmware update to 6.3.7.5.  All the satellite updates seem to have been corrupted.  I basically had to do the following:

1. Factory reset all satellites.

2. remove all satellites from the web GUI.

3. Individually hard-wire each satellite to the main router one by one, finding the IP address and then navigating to that IP address.

4. Manually rewind the firmware to the previous version, then manually update to the latest version again.

5. Factory reset the satellite again after updating the firmware.

6. Sync the satellite whilst still hard-wired.

7. Disconnect the wire to establish wireless connection.

There were other issues with the status showing out of sync, which meant I had to re-sync a number of times.

To be honest, from what i've read, NG's firmware updates can cause major issues.  I've therefore turned off automatic updates and I intend to update manually in the future.

For such an expensive system, I do think the stability is shocking and for a person who isn't persistent or IT literate, it would be a nightmare.

Anyway we got there in the end.

Thank you again everybody.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7