Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi speed seems capped to 100mbs upload & download.

KeefM
Aspirant

Orbi speed seems capped to 100mbs upload & download.

We're in Spain and just moved to a new fast broadband provider. We're getting up/download speeds off their new Huawei router (wifi) of 500mbs+.

But the Orbi appears to be capped at 100ish up/down all the time? I rebooted it when I connected it to the new router. We have one satellite.

It is connected to the route by a very short Ethernet cable.

Can anyone explain, simply please, why this appear to be happening.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

have you checked the wan port statistics? Maybe it is connecting at 100mbps speeds. A sketchy cat 5e cable could cause that. 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 7
KeefM
Aspirant

The WAN statistics say its 100m/Full. But the port says it should be able to handle 2.5Gbs?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

1. what orbi do you have? 

2. If it supports 2.5gig hardwired connect, try a good quality cat 6 cable between modem/router. replace the one you have

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 4 of 7
KeefM
Aspirant

It's and RBR850. I'm connected to a Hauwei OptiXstar fibre broadband modem. Just connecting to that we're get 500+ wifi connection.

We've just upgrade to 1Gb broadband. So only just been aware of the issue. Previous snail connection didn't make 25mbs. we got the Orbi to navigate the house walls.

I've read on another thread it may be hardware problem as the port shouldn't be saying 100M/Full?

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a specific technical process that Ethernet adapters use to negotiate which "speed" to use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation 

The Orbi display is reporting that when it negotiated with the Hauwei, the result was 100MB/Full Duplex.  Manufacturers of Ethernet switches often put tiny LEDs on each Ethernet port to indicate which speed has been selected.  Netgear does not put LEDs on the router Ethernet ports, possibly because they are on the back and not readily visible to users. (Or, possibly to save 5 cents in manufacturing costs.  Nobody knows why.)

It could be some tiny flaw in the cable or one of the cable connectors. 

Message 6 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello KeefM,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

To verify network speeds run a speed test on the router that is connected to your modem. 

For instructions on how to perform a speed test on your network please navigate to the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038894/How-do-I-check-my-Internet-speed

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series