Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wifi 6 RBK753s-100NAS satellite AP mode woes

orbira
Apprentice

Orbi wifi 6 RBK753s-100NAS satellite AP mode woes

Hi,

I bought RBK753S and it is replacing RBK53. I configured the router to AP mode (behind FIOS Quantun gateway) and Satellite won't connect with wireless backhaul. Was able to get them going with ethernet backhaul, but I need to connect one wired and one wireless. Netgear support as usual was of no use, and was told, WIFI-6 router do not support satellites in AP mode after an hour long discussion.

Before I return those, thought will give a shot here to see if anyone else is having similar issues.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi wifi 6 RBK753s-100NAS satellite AP mode woes

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure that both RBS and RBR are all using same version of FW. 

NG support would be incorrect telling you that AP mode doesn't support RBS. Ive had mine in AP mode since day one up to a couple of months ago. RBS work in AP mode. 

I would turn OFF the other RBS and bring the wireless RBS near or in the same room as the RBR and try to sync the RBS with the back sync button then hit the sync button the back of the RBR. It should connect. 

Message 2 of 8
orbira
Apprentice

The firmware version is v3.2.16.6 and all 3 devices are same version. I believe it is the latest.

Yup, I agree that NG support is wrong. But it has been my experience that many times they give answers, it seems, to just get rid of complex issues.

Have tried at least 3 times doing the same. Factory reset all 3 devices and start from scratch. They are sitting next to each other on same table. 

Question for you, when you initially configured the router and satellites, did you use the orbi app or did it on browser? Did you pair the satellite, while in router mode or paired after switching to AP mode?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya, NG support 1st level isn't known well for fixing complex stuff though this isn't rocket science either. 

I don't use the Orbi app unless I'm directed too for installation. 

Use the web page. Either mode should work however last time my setup was done in router mode so I could setup IP address reservations for my RBS which is still in router mode. You can try this as well if you want too. 

You should be able to sync them in AP mode as well. I prefer using a STATIC IP address configuration on the RBR, I use 192.168.0.85 for mine. My default DHCP IP address pool size is .100 to .150 for my needs. I would use the RBRs web page or the sync button on the RBS and RBR, ONE at a time while near the RBR. Then have the main host routers web page open up and as you sync then, set a IP address reservation on the main host router for each RBS. Save an apply the setting on the main host router. Reboot the host router and whiles thats rebooting power off all RBS and then place back in there remote locations. Power them ON. 

You should see them appear in the RBRs web page and on the host routers clients page. 

Message 4 of 8
orbira
Apprentice

As I powered on the router connected behind FIOS Quantun gateway, it switched itself to 10.x.x.x network to avoid conflict with Quantum IP address range. I then paired the satellites which got 10.x.x.x addresses as well. Then I switched the router to AP mode and had created a static reservation for the RBR on Quantum gateway, which got its reserved IP. However, the satellites never connected back despite trying exactly what you said. Pressed the sync button on RBS and the tried both ways on screen button (add satellite option) or on the back of the router sync button, but it kept on failing. Then I connected the RBS to the lan ports on the RBR (one at a time) and then I was able to sync. I was hoping now I could remove the network cable and it would stay sync, but it did not connect in wirelees mode.

Anyways, I might try once more, otherwise may be i have bad router/satellite hardware and they are going back unfortunately.

The process is not rocket science, I am upgrading them from RBK53 (the non AX older version of Orbi mesh) and the process was relatively straigth forward.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would configure the RBR first for AP mode. Set static or dynamic on the RBR. Try Dynamic first. Once the RBR is fully in AP mode, factory reset the RBS then try to sync. It should sync with the RBR and get a IP address from the host router...

Message 6 of 8
orbira
Apprentice

Thanks, finally ended up returning and buying new and removed the verizon FIOS router and using just Netgear. Router is setup fine, however now there is a new issue that port forwarding works from the hosts outside the LAN, but from LAN hosts if I use WAN IP to connect to internal hosts it does not work. Opening a separate thread on that.

Thanks for your help with this.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation