Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiRBR850 needs firmware update yet Sat RBS850 does not

Roadster198
Follower

OrbiRBR850 needs firmware update yet Sat RBS850 does not

My Orbi RBR850 is prompting for a firmware update however the RBS850 is saying firmware up to date.

Looking on the NETGEAR support site the latest firmware is listed for both.

I've cleared my cache on the browser (clutching at straws) however it's not made any difference.

I've not rebooted either of them so I suppose that is next.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: OrbiRBR850 needs firmware update yet Sat RBS850 does not

@Roadster198 wrote:

My Orbi RBR850 is prompting for a firmware update however the RBS850 is saying firmware up to date.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, it is common for the Orbi Firmware Update screen to display inaccurate or conflicting information.  Been that way for years.

Eventually (which may be months), it will get things right.

In the meantime, if there is some reason* to update the firmware, the only method is to download the firmware images for router and satellite from the Netgear support site and upload them manually to the satellite and then the router.  My own preference is to connect directly to the satellite web page using the IP address of the satellite (which will be found on the Attached Devices page).

* There is a mantra, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you manually load the FW if you want to update it. RBS FIRST, then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

The AU system really can't be trusted IMO. 

Message 2 of 6
vvemaraju
Aspirant

I updated from orbi portal which showed update available and not from the App (which showed no update available).

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Roadster198 wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, it is common for the Orbi Firmware Update screen to display inaccurate or conflicting information.  Been that way for years.

Eventually (which may be months), it will get things right.

In the meantime, if there is some reason* to update the firmware, the only method is to download the firmware images for router and satellite from the Netgear support site and upload them manually to the satellite and then the router.  My own preference is to connect directly to the satellite web page using the IP address of the satellite (which will be found on the Attached Devices page).

* There is a mantra, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 6
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Roadster198 ,

Can you try it again ?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies