Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbis RBR350 installed with a modem only

1topgazza
Aspirant

Orbis RBR350 installed with a modem only

Can I install my RBR350 as a mesh with only a modem. Not a router/modem? Or is not worth it and just get a new router/ modem and disable the WiFi on it as I have it set up now ?
Extra question. I have my 350 set as an AP. Is that the best setting given it’s wired to my current router/modem?

Thank you
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 8
1topgazza
Aspirant

Thanks
Would I disable the AP setting if connected to a modem only ?
My thinking is that I’d get a good modem/router replacement for what I have and just disable the WiFi on the new router. It would give me a backup WiFi.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No, if you run a modem only unit, the RBR will need to be in router mode. 

I preferr modem only units since ISPs are the only ones that can update FW on the modem. Modem combo units are the same so for some combo units, you may have a hard time getting these units updated from the ISP as some ISPs may not FW update user owned modems at all. NGs CAX series are the only combo units that you can FW update the router portion of the unit. The modem portion FW is still controlled by the ISP. Just FYI.

Message 4 of 8
1topgazza
Aspirant

Thank you I appreciate that advice

I’m in the UK and my ISP is Sky. So I would need a modem or modem/router that has option 61 (MER) capability. I do prefer NG so will need to check which ones have that option 61 in the connectivity settings
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first ask SKY on what they support and the configuration needed. They should know. 

Message 6 of 8
1topgazza
Aspirant

They are a bit weird and don’t give advice. But I do know as long as the modem supports DHCP option which many do now, including Netgear is a lot of their routers, then they will work
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Give it a try and see how it works for you. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series