Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Port forwarding only works for some ports - RBK852

death_cares
Aspirant

Port forwarding only works for some ports - RBK852

I have an RBK852 and have a few port forwarding rules set up, some of them work, such as ports 8080 and 8123 but others do not work such as 25565 and 443. All the port forwarding rules were set up exactly the same.

Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@death_cares wrote:

I have an RBK852 and have a few port forwarding rules set up, some of them work, such as ports 8080 and 8123 but others do not work such as 25565 and 443. All the port forwarding rules were set up exactly the same.

Some ISPs block inbound traffic on port 443 (reference).

Another thing to verify is that you don't have Double NAT (if you do, port forwarding will still work but only if your ISP router also has port forwarding rules for the same ports from it to the Orbi router).  You can check for Double NAT via the community faq instructions: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwardi...

Message 2 of 6
death_cares
Aspirant

I know double NAT isn't an issue as I only have the one router and I have other port forwarding rules that work. 

The page for my ISP (Cox) doesn't say that they block the ports that I'm having trouble with but I'll contact them and see

Message 3 of 6
death_cares
Aspirant

Contacted my ISP and they said that only the ports listed on this page (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet-ports-blocked-or-restricted-by-cox.html) are blocked and all other ports should be fine to forward

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for including the link to Cox (saves everybody time).

I seem to recall there being something 'odd' about port 443 (maybe because the Orbi responds to connections to port 443 for the web management interface).  Could you try setting up a rule to forward a different external port to port 443 on a device on the LAN?

It appears the goal is to operate a Minecraft server, correct?  When Orbi router forward ports, they pay no attention to "what happens". i.e. packet comes in, packet goes out.  Does the receiving device accept it? reject it? ignore it?  Orbi doesn't know and doesn't care.

It might be worth exploring whether  those packets reached the target device, such as:

• Using Wireshark on the target to see if anything comes into port 25565.
  • Enabling the LAN/WAN packet capture feature on the Orbi debug page: (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm ).
    Save the capture to a computer, then open the zip file and examine:
    • WAN.pcap
    • LAN.pcap
  • Ensure that the target computer Firewall is set to allow connections from 'public' networks. Typically, Windows treats LAN addresses different from WAN addresses.

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

That's a good point - What type of computer on your home network is receiving the traffic from the forwarded port?  If Windows then try making sure the network is Private and try disabling the firewall.  From the faq:

• Verify that your LAN device has opened the port and it's not blocked by a firewall.
    • If this is a Windows host then you need to disable the firewall so Windows leaves the port open:
      • Press the Win key, type and search for "network status"
      • Your active network needs to show "Private network" below it so the firewall is disabled.  If "Public network", press the Properties button and then change the Network Profile toggle from Public to Private.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7