Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Possible bricked Satellites after downgrading from v4.6.7.5 to v 4.6.3.16

marshall2553
Aspirant

Re: Possible bricked Satellites after downgrading from v4.6.7.5 to v 4.6.3.16

I have the exact same problem and posted about it here .  I've tried pretty much everything and all of my satellites still have the flashing white status light and appear to be in a reboot loop.  I attempted to downgrade via nmrpflash and although it appeared to be successful based on the console output there was no change once I rebooted the satellite.  I guess I should try to get an RMA started at this point.  I've moved on to a Ubiquiti setup, but it would be nice if I could get these working and sell or gift them to someone.  When they work they're great, but the bugs and connectivity issues have been frustrating.

Message 26 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommennd you contact NG support and ask about RMA options. 

@marshall2553 wrote:

I have the exact same problem and posted about it here .  I've tried pretty much everything and all of my satellites still have the flashing white status light and appear to be in a reboot loop.  I attempted to downgrade via nmrpflash and although it appeared to be successful based on the console output there was no change once I rebooted the satellite.  I guess I should try to get an RMA started at this point.  I've moved on to a Ubiquiti setup, but it would be nice if I could get these working and sell or gift them to someone.  When they work they're great, but the bugs and connectivity issues have been frustrating.

Message 27 of 34
marshall2553
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I recommennd you contact NG support and ask about RMA options. 

@marshall2553 wrote:

How do I go about doing that?  I purchased them in August of last year.  When I view my NG account the support options for my RBR853 are basically post here, purchase new hardware or purchase a support contract.  I tried the first option and the other two are not happening.  If I go to the "Contact Us" page and try to open a support case I only get knowledgebase suggestions and a link to purchase a support contract.  The phone support options say "Create a case before calling".  My free tech support ran out in November, though it does show that they're covered by the hardware warranty until August 2022.

Message 28 of 34
KMDonlon
Luminary

The links I posted do work, from what I have read nmrpflash doesn't seem to work, using windows and TFTP worked for me multiple times... I hope you try this and have success.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
Message 29 of 34
marshall2553
Aspirant

Thanks.  I tried TFTP but got a "Connect request failed" error each time.  Maybe it was a timing thing, the satellite reboots fairly quickly and I could see the connection dropping sporadically on my PC.  When you say it worked for you, was that after downgrading from 4.6.7.5 to 4.6.3.16?

@KMDonlon wrote:
The links I posted do work, from what I have read nmrpflash doesn't seem to work, using windows and TFTP worked for me multiple times... I hope you try this and have success.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Message 30 of 34
KMDonlon
Luminary

Yes, I downgraded several times from both versions... did you follow the sequence exactly and use the external program listed?

I wish I could help more on this since I had no problem restoring, I really hope you get your satellite back up and running 👍
Message 31 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Please reach out to a forum moderator to see what options you may have:

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

@marshall2553 wrote:

How do I go about doing that?  I purchased them in August of last year.  When I view my NG account the support options for my RBR853 are basically post here, purchase new hardware or purchase a support contract.  I tried the first option and the other two are not happening.  If I go to the "Contact Us" page and try to open a support case I only get knowledgebase suggestions and a link to purchase a support contract.  The phone support options say "Create a case before calling".  My free tech support ran out in November, though it does show that they're covered by the hardware warranty until August 2022.

Message 32 of 34
marshall2553
Aspirant

I used the TFTP client built into Windows 11, but otherwise followed the instructions in that support article.  I may give it a try with the GUI client, but I doubt that will make a difference.

@KMDonlon wrote:
Yes, I downgraded several times from both versions... did you follow the sequence exactly and use the external program listed?

I wish I could help more on this since I had no problem restoring, I really hope you get your satellite back up and running 👍

Message 33 of 34
NGSvensk
Apprentice

My 850 Satellight was bricked after a downgrading from v4.6.7.5 to v 4.6.3.16 firmware.  It was replaced under warranty.  It may have had an exsiting  hardware issue as I could not factory reset it by using the reset button for about the last 3  firmware versions.   I do not recommned downgrading firmware andthe 800 series of Orbis.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7