Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pre-sale question with regards to AX and Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)

Tony75672
Follower

Pre-sale question with regards to AX and Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)

Hi there,

I am looking at setting up a WiFi Mesh network on my farm and I am looking at the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK853) AX6000 to do this. However to get the WiFi signal from the house to the workshop I will need to use a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) which I noticed is not a Mesh device nor a WiFi 6 device.
1. Can I have the Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) in the middle of 2 sets of mesh node and still extend my mesh network in the barn?
2. With the RBS50Y not being WiFi 6 what will I loose in the barn site of the network?

Is my assumption correct in saying a mesh node can only "re-broadcast" the signal it is receving, so if signal strength was measured 1-10 you would want to place each node where it is receving a 10 signal, which could get pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Pre-sale question with regards to AX and Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y)

What is the distance from the house to the barn are? If is anything over 60 feet, your best option would be to run a buried CAT6A LAN cable from the home out to the barn area and then install a wired RBS there. 

Another suggestion:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wbc502.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7