Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Printers friendly to Orbi

TrippleP
Aspirant

Printers friendly to Orbi

Could I get a list of printers that work with the Orbi WPA2/WPA3 security?  My last 3 printers have been nothing but trouble, showing "offline"  when they are online, 100% pass.  I've finally pinpointed it down to the security being WPA2-PSK/WPA3-personal.  To circumvent this, I actually have to connect the printer to the IoT network, set it only to WPA2-personal, and then every time I need to print something, I need to connect the laptop to the IoT network!  

If there are printers that are a little smarter and able to recognize the security settings of the Orbi, I would love to know!  

TIA

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the Orbi 9 series system? If so then the mixed mode WPA2 and WPA3 maybe the issue. This would be on the devices Mfr part in having compatibility of there devices that don't support actual WPA3 however WPA2 is supported however some of these devices don't seem to handle mixed mode even though WPA2 is being broadcast. This is something the mfr of these devices needs to handle for there products. Otherwise you'll need to use the IoT network that has the WPA2 only setting as the main network doesn't offer the WPA2 only setting. 

NG wouldn't have a list of devices that doesn't support mixed modes. It's kind of a thing that if it works it does, if it doesn't, it doesn't. 

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Which model of Orbi?

Could you please describe more about "showing 'offline' when they are online".  Is this on the printer control panel?  On the Orbi app?  On the Orbi web interface?  Are you able to 'ping' the printer?

Message 3 of 15
TrippleP
Aspirant

Yes, I do have the Orbi 9 system.  my current printer needs WPA2, and my system only has the WPA2-PSK bundled up with WPA3-personal.  The printer cannot communicate through WPA3, so even though it is online, and the printer software shows it connected and passes all tests, the other devices in my network see it offline.

So, do you know of any printers that are able to communicate on this mixed mode of security?  

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't. 

Can the printer be ethernet connected to the Orbi system? 

Message 5 of 15
TrippleP
Aspirant

On the printer UI it shows printer is connected and passes all tests.

On the orbi app it shows offline, but with a static IP assigned. (for some reason I am not able to sign into the web interface.  will troubleshoot this later...right now I need this printer to work!)

On laptop, desktop, phones and tablets, printer shows offline.  No communication is possible at all. Not through the smart printer app, not through any program that allows printing.  You cannot "choose" the printer, it is grayed out and says "offline"

Message 6 of 15
TrippleP
Aspirant

I guess I can try that.  It's just that, even though they are in the same room, they are on different sides of the room, and I wanted to avoid unsightly cables 😉

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Id contact the Mfr of the printer and let them know it's not working with mixed mode WPA2/WPA3 setting. It's up to devices to connect using either security mode. If the printer doesn't support WPA3 then it would never use it. Seems to be a mis-handling issue by the printers FW and wifi connection protocols. 

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@TrippleP wrote:

On the printer UI it shows printer is connected and passes all tests.

On the orbi app it shows offline, but with a static IP assigned.

On laptop, desktop, phones and tablets, printer shows offline.  No communication is possible at all. Not through the smart printer app, not through any program that allows printing.  You cannot "choose" the printer, it is grayed out and says "offline"

How does the Orbi app indicate that the printer has a static IP?

My Android Orbi app shows only devices that are connected to the network.  Devices that are "offline" do not appear at all.

Would love to see a screen shot of this.

Which specific printer is this?  (would like to look at the user manual)

Going out on a limb here, but was this printer working with a different home network before the Orbi 960 was installed?

(and all those devices were printing successfully to the printer with that previous network?)

Message 9 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@TrippleP wrote:

To circumvent this, I actually have to connect the printer to the IoT network, set it only to WPA2-personal, and then every time I need to print something, I need to connect the laptop to the IoT network!  

What is your specific printer make and model that you're having troubles with?  What is it's IP address when connected to the IoT network and what is your laptop's IP address when connected to the main network?

Something else is wrong if you need to connect your laptop to the IoT network to print.  The 9-series IoT is just a separate radio and any device connected to that radio is connected to your Orbi network, similarly to how it shouldn't matter if your laptop is connected to the RBR or one of the satellites.  I configured my 9-series IoT network to only 2.4Ghz to support random older wireless devices, but regardless all of my devices talk to each other just fine.

My Orbi network has been fine for my 3 printers: HP M477fdw, HP M1536dnf, and HP MF420.  All printers are connected to my main network set to WPA2/WPA3 mixed-mode setting.  I wouldn't expect printers to have a problem with the security setting and instead the 2.4Ghz compatibility issues.  For the latter, try setting your IoT network to 2.4Ghz-only and maybe even TKIP/WPA2 security.

Message 10 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

I've been out of town, and notice that this topic seems to be unresolved, or......?

Message 11 of 15
TrippleP
Aspirant

CrimpOn,
I would have hoped that there was somewhere a list of printers that work on the WPA3 and WPA2 mixed security. The HP customer service tells me the printer I have only works WPA2… it seems there isn’t one though…
Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

When the printer itself says it is "Connected" and the Orbi says it is connected, then I have a strong feeling that WPA2 security is not the issue.

I asked about how it was determined that the printer was "offline" because my Orbi 'app' shows only devices that are Connected.  Devices that are not connected do not appear at all.  I asked for a screen shot to see if that "Pause" switch had perhaps been moved so that the printer, although "connected", was in a "Paused" state.  i.e. not usable.

I asked about whether this printer had been working before because I have found (to my dismay) that sometimes devices "learn where the printer is" and persist in looking for it at that old IP address, even though it is clearly "somewhere else".  Deleting the printer and then going through the routine of "Add a Printer" renders it suddenly visible.

Message 13 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@TrippleP wrote:
CrimpOn,
I would have hoped that there was somewhere a list of printers that work on the WPA3 and WPA2 mixed security. The HP customer service tells me the printer I have only works WPA2… it seems there isn’t one though…

WPA3/WPA2 mixed security means that it is compatible with WPA2 devices.  Your printer should be fine. My two HP printers pre-date WPA3 (January 2018) and work fine with my Orbi 9-series.

What is your printer make and model?  We can try to help you resolve your printer issues if you give us more details.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

IF there is such a list, HP would have this list.

@TrippleP wrote:
CrimpOn,

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7