Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Privacy warning on iPhone when on AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK753) network

Dazza762
Luminary

Privacy warning on iPhone when on AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK753) network

I've noticed that when looking at the wifi setting on my ios devices that there's now a privacy warning when I'm on my home wifi. The wanring is: This network is blocking encryted DNS traffic.

Does anyone know what setting I need to change on my RBR750 to get rid of it?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

My internet search for this situation turns up a number of possibilities, including "restart the iPhone".

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-security-warning-message-that-my-network-is-blocking-encry... 

There are also questions about whether the iPhone is running a VPN and if Parental Controls are enabled on the iPhone or router.

I know of no 'setting' on an Orbi router that needs to be changed.

Regular DNS uses port 53.  Encrypted DNS uses either port 443 or 853 (there are two versions of encrypted DNS).  Orbi does not block any of these ports.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have Privacy Address disabled on the iPhone, this will appear if this feature is disabled. 

It may also appear if you have WPA and TPIK set on the RBR. Be sure to set WPA2 and AES only. 

Message 2 of 11
Dazza762
Luminary

No. Privtae wifi address on iphone is enabled and I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES] security setting on the RBR

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

My internet search for this situation turns up a number of possibilities, including "restart the iPhone".

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-security-warning-message-that-my-network-is-blocking-encry... 

There are also questions about whether the iPhone is running a VPN and if Parental Controls are enabled on the iPhone or router.

Regular DNS uses port 53.  Encrypted DNS uses either port 443 or 853 (there are two versions of encrypted DNS).  Orbi does not block any of these ports.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What iOS version is loaded on the phone? 

@Dazza762 wrote:

No. Privtae wifi address on iphone is enabled and I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES] security setting on the RBR

Message 5 of 11
Dazza762
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

No VPN running on the phone when I'm on my home network and no parental controls. A restart of the iOS devices seems to have sorted it. Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Dazza762 wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

No VPN running on the phone when I'm on my home network and no parental controls. A restart of the iOS devices seems to have sorted it. Thanks.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

No s**t? The oldest technology solution of all time, and it worked!!!

Message 8 of 11
Dazza762
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

No s**t? The oldest technology solution of all time, and it worked!!!

Can't fault the old "turn it off and back on again"

Message 9 of 11
Dazza762
Luminary

Well, that didn't last long. The privacy warning is back since I rebooted the RBR yesterday and now to add to the hassle, the orbi app won't connect to the system at all. I can now only use the web admin page to change anything. 

Message 10 of 11
Dazza762
Luminary

@Dazza762 wrote:

Well, that didn't last long. The privacy warning is back since I rebooted the RBR yesterday and now to add to the hassle, the orbi app won't connect to the system at all. I can now only use the web admin page to change anything. 

So, another restart of the phone has solved it for now. I've noticed though that in the connected device list on the app, the device the orbi app is on has an orange dot next to it. Having checked the maunal this is meant to mean the connection between the device and the network is weak. This is not the case as the link rate is 864Mbps and I'm getting the expected speed.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7