Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Procedure for Factory reset of RBS850

donawalt
Virtuoso

Procedure for Factory reset of RBS850

Hi all, I am just doing some maintenance on my RBR850/RBS850s (2) system, to factory reset them since it's been a long time. Yesterday I did a factory reset on the router and manually re-entered any settings I needed,. All works fine.

Today I want to factory reset my 2 RBS850 satellites, one at a time. I like having a solid procedure to follow, and I couldn't find one for satellites, which I presume are much simpler than factory reset-setup of a router (I have a good procedure for that). 

So - is my procedure for a reset of an RBS850 as simple as:

- This Satellite has Ethernet backhaul. Temporarily move it near the router using wireless only. Plug it in. 

- Press paper clip in the reset hole until power LED blinks amber (~15 seconds).

- After that, satellite front display should eventually turn solid white (~2 minutes).

- Go to the router admin web page,  Go to Basic tab, then Add Orbi Satellite and follow directions in setup wizard (press sync button on satellite, then press sync button on admin web page).

- After sync is successful, power down satellite and move it to its normal locations, connect to Ethernet/back haul, power up.

- Wait for front display to turn Solid Blue. when it does, satellite is connected and sync'd.

That should be it, right? No worries about settings or anything, like with the router? Any advice as to other steps to take, to make this reliable/smooth?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try the 2nd RBS with the 1st RBS turned OFF? 

Try selecting Generate Backhaul Password on the RBRs web page Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Then press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR or walk thru the Add Satellite feature on the RBRs web UI. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The best advise we can give people is to start a new config, power on one RBS and wait for some SOLID light or most often blue or magenta. And then add the RBS WIRELESSLY via the WebUI. Power off the RBS. Then rinse and repeat with any additional RBS(s). Pair RBS one at a time even if you have more than one. For ethernet connected RBS, after things come up wirelessly, you can move to wired backhaul but don't start with wired backhaul for those RBS that are ethernet connected. Wirelessly connect and sync RBS first before ethernet connecting RBS. 

Otherwise, great process for FR the RBS. Works well. 

Message 2 of 14
donawalt
Virtuoso

Worked like a champ. The only additions/mods I made were (1) the time waiting for the solid white light is closer to 5 minutes and (2) After I pressed the reset hole and the amber light blinked, I went to the admin web page, Attached Devices list, and Removed that Satellite from the list (showing as Disconnected). It got re-added once it sync'd up again.  (3) Once all done, change the Satellite name in Attached Devices list if need be.

Message 3 of 14
donawalt
Virtuoso

Hmm. Not so good with second RBS850. No matter what I do, I press the reset hole, I get the amber blinking light, but it always ends up blue on the front, and connected to the router again! It never goes to solid white. I have tried all kinds of combinaitons of power off/on, manual sync with router then reset  it keeps coming up with blue light, sync status "Good". Why won't it factory reset? Is there another way to factory reset a satellite?

EDIT/UPDATE: I brought up the router admin web page, and there the satellite's name was reset to the default "Orbi Satellite-1" or something similar. 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try the 2nd RBS with the 1st RBS turned OFF? 

Try selecting Generate Backhaul Password on the RBRs web page Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Then press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR or walk thru the Add Satellite feature on the RBRs web UI. 

Message 5 of 14
donawalt
Virtuoso

Ah! No I did not - the "other" RBS was always up and working. I'll try both tips next time, my window for network meddling has just closed lol. Thanks! Always a little trick, it's why it's good to get a solid procedure imho!

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi has always been quirky. 🙄

Message 7 of 14
donawalt
Virtuoso

The only thing I would add in further testing, is if there are other RBSs online, power them OFF prior to the factory reset of each RBS. There should only be one RBS powered up, their current one being factory reset, at a time. I found problems with getting the factory reset (solid white) coming up with other RBSs online - an RBS would keep coming up BLUE (meaning connected and sync'd.)

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I was told, use the ERASE button on the RBRs web page, also factory resets any connected RBS as well.

Something to keep in mind if you want to use this method to FR the entire system at once: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Wrote up manual Factory Reset proceedure that should work for all Orbi AX, AXE and BE systems. If and when it's needed.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Proceedure to Manually Firmware Update Orbi and Nighthawk Mesh systems.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Proceedure to configure Static IP Address for AP Mode for NETGEAR Orbi or Nighthawk router systems.

Message 12 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

very nice. thanks for taking the time to do this.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements