Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Proposed ORBI Network for Home

woutie76
Aspirant

Proposed ORBI Network for Home

Hi there all Netgear Professionals!

I have an RAX80 Router with a few older routers setup as Access points in my house, but I find that when you walk around in the house the connection does not change automatically. Somtimes you need to drop and reconnect the wifi or wait until the original signal is lost and the device picks up the new stronger one. I am looking at the Orbi system, although I do have a powerful router, but if I have to I will do away with it and just use the Orbi system. A few questions/concerns though:

1 - Can I keep my RAX80 as router and have the remainder of the ORBIs in AP mode only?

2 - My CCTV NVR requires a static internal IP on my network, can this be done if I have to remove my RAX80 and use the ORBI as a router?

3 - Will the propose diagram work?

4 - Can I add the RAX80 into my proposal as the main router and ORBIs as APs only as asked above?

Thank you for any advice and help provided.

WoutieSH - 217 Aug. 29 13.15.png

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@woutie76 wrote:

Hi there all Netgear Professionals!

I have an RAX80 Router with a few older routers setup as Access points in my house, but I find that when you walk around in the house the connection does not change automatically. Somtimes you need to drop and reconnect the wifi or wait until the original signal is lost and the device picks up the new stronger one. Depending upon device and there design, they may not migrate or roam to the next stronger signal, even on Orbi systems. It's mostly up to the devices to pick and choose where they connect too.  I am looking at the Orbi system, although I do have a powerful router, but if I have to I will do away with it and just use the Orbi system. A few questions/concerns though:

1 - Can I keep my RAX80 as router and have the remainder of the ORBIs in AP mode only? Yes though it won't be integreated into Orbis wifi signal: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

2 - My CCTV NVR requires a static internal IP on my network, can this be done if I have to remove my RAX80 and use the ORBI as a router? Static IP address are configured ON devices. IP address reservations are configured ON the router. 

3 - Will the propose diagram work? Please use the Choose File button to attach files so we can see them. Inline pictures have to be approved by a forum moderator and that may take longer.

4 - Can I add the RAX80 into my proposal as the main router and ORBIs as APs only as asked above? See #1. 

SH - 217 Aug. 29 13.15.png

Message 2 of 7
woutie76
Aspirant

Message 3 of 7
woutie76
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, by the sound of it I may not need a ORBI system afterall then?

Also PDF of network uploaded now.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to see if your current system will work for you or not. 

Message 5 of 7
HMCuzGus
Aspirant

I only get a cable from my ISP to a netgear modem and Netgear router. I'm wondering if I can put the switch after the router, or does it matter? And also, what about plugging in an external hard drive, so that it is recognizable for everyone on our home network?
I suppose it would be considered like a cheap server in that way?
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@HMCuzGus wrote:
I only get a cable from my ISP to a netgear modem and Netgear router. I'm wondering if I can put the switch after the router, or does it matter? Yes it matters, any LAN switch needs to be connected to the router, not in between the modem and router if the modem is just a modem only and your using the Orbi in router mode.  And also, what about plugging in an external hard drive, so that it is recognizable for everyone on our home network? Orbi doesn't support any external USB drives. NAS would be highly recommended. I have two. 
I suppose it would be considered like a cheap server in that way?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7