Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on channels using Orbi AX5400 (RBR760)

spollard101
Tutor

Question on channels using Orbi AX5400 (RBR760)

Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding changing my channels on my wifi network. Just moved into our first home and I recently upgraded my router to the Orbi AX5400 RBR760 Wifi 6 bundle from Costco.

When I access the modem, when I go to change the 5GHz channel - it is now "limited" to 36-64 (52-64 being DFS).

Previously, my Netgear Nighthawk 1760 Router had channels 36-116.

Is there a reason it is capped at 64 DFS? I also have the AX modes enabled - unsure if this is the reason why the channel options have changed, but I suspect it is. 

Equipment:

Netgear Modem CM500

Negeart Orbi AX5400

Firmware up-to-date

Thank you all!

Sean

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason that NH routers have those channels is that there not MESH routers. MESH routers use the higher channels for the wireless backhaul between the router and satellites. This is not user configurable and is used automatically by the mesh system. This is by design on ALL Orbi systems.

Probably to avoid interference problems with higher DFS channels and possible that some of the higher channels could be used by the wireless backhaul. Not for sure on that though. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@spollard101 wrote:

When I access the modem, when I go to change the 5GHz channel - it is now "limited" to 36-64 (52-64 being DFS).

Modem?  Oops. RBR760 Router.

I knew the Costco product is "different", but unless I am tragically mistaken, this is the first Netgear Orbi WiFi router intended for the North American market which supports user facing 5G channels other than 36-48. 

Message 3 of 4
spollard101
Tutor

Thanks for the reply and the correction.

Also that is fascinating to know. I have sincerely enjoyed mine as well

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7