Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

We are excited to announce that we have started to roll out new firmware which enables NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls on RBK750 Systems. Customers with RBK750 series systems will get automatically updated over the next few weeks. Customers who would like to manually get the new firmware can do so via the Orbi app and the Orbi web GUI within the next week. We expect to rollout to complete to all RBK750 systems by mid-August. For customers with the RBK850 series systems, we plan to start rollout of firmware which supports NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls in the next few weeks. 

NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls is an easy way for parents to manage kids' screen time, monitor, pause the Internet and promote healthy habits across connected devices. It is available in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Swedend, Denmark, Norway and Finland. We expect to have it available in more countries in the coming months. Learn more at: https://www.netgear.com/spc

Regards,

Christian 

Message 1 of 303

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
its1000
Tutor

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

so for the moment not in France, and not on RBK853... what a sad piece of news. 

Message 2 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

"For customers with the RBK850 series systems, we plan to start rollout of firmware which supports NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls in the next few weeks."

Message 3 of 303
its1000
Tutor

ok but if not available for France, will be an issue for me... thank you for your answers. 

Message 4 of 303
ddkumar
Star

There is an inconsistency in how Smart Parental Controls operates.   I have several Internet-of-Things type devices which I usually quarantine on my Orbi RBK752 guest network.  When I first configured the Smart Controls for my system, fresh from the new firmware update, it let me put one of the devices from the guest network in the "Always On" category during the initial configuration process.  However, when I try to move the second device to the "Always On" category (which was not done during initial configuration), it won't allow it because it is on the guest network.  So, if it is not going to let me put a guest network device on the "Always On" category, it shouldn't have allowed me to do it during the initial configuration instead of having a different policy for initial configuration and subsequent configurations.  Obviously, I'd prefer to put both of my guest network devices in the "Always On" category, but if it is not going to allow that, it should at least have consistent behavior.

Message 6 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Smart Parental Controls product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with SPC and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi AX" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/bd-p/en-home-smart-parental-controls
https://www.netgear.com/home/services/smart-parental-controls/

Good Luck

@ddkumar wrote:

There is an inconsistency in how Smart Parental Controls operates.   I have several Internet-of-Things type devices which I usually quarantine on my Orbi RBK752 guest network.  When I first configured the Smart Controls for my system, fresh from the new firmware update, it let me put one of the devices from the guest network in the "Always On" category during the initial configuration process.  However, when I try to move the second device to the "Always On" category (which was not done during initial configuration), it won't allow it because it is on the guest network.  So, if it is not going to let me put a guest network device on the "Always On" category, it shouldn't have allowed me to do it during the initial configuration instead of having a different policy for initial configuration and subsequent configurations.  Obviously, I'd prefer to put both of my guest network devices in the "Always On" category, but if it is not going to allow that, it should at least have consistent behavior.

Message 7 of 303
Mstrbig
Master

There may be an issue with this firmware.

Since my personal system updated to this new 4.6.3.7 firmware, the RBS units are going pulsating white and never recovering, and the RBR unit is constantly going pulsating white and re-connecting. This is happening quite often.

I've run several tests and pretty much ruled out everything else. So today I'm going to roll back the firmware to see if it resolves the issue.

Message 8 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-RBS750-Satellite-continuous-pulsating-white-light/td-p...

@Mstrbig wrote:

There may be an issue with this firmware.

Since my personal system updated to this new 4.6.3.7 firmware, the RBS units are going pulsating white and never recovering, and the RBR unit is constantly going pulsating white and re-connecting. This is happening quite often.

I've run several tests and pretty much ruled out everything else. So today I'm going to roll back the firmware to see if it resolves the issue.

Message 9 of 303
Timothy88
Luminary

Whne using the Orbi speedtest before uprading to latest firmware (4.6.3.7) the results were pretty much in sync with speedtest app or website. It is now about 300 Mbps slower consistently.  When I test usign the speedtest app or website I get over 900 Mbps very consistently if I login into the router usign the web interface on the same PC the Orbi speedtest shows only over 600 Mbps.  This was not a proble on the previous firmware. AX4200 RBR/RBS 750

Message 10 of 303
Timothy88
Luminary

Another issue I see and its mostly annoying is that it did not retain all of my device names that I had for devices that I have address reservations for.  I had to go in and name them again. 

Message 11 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 303
Africansun
Tutor

I have an RBR750 with one RBS750 attached.
Was connected to cable modem by Ethernet and running in AP mode. All working great.
Recently was prompted to update firmware by orbi app. Now Wi-Fi completely unstable in AP mode - allowing connection for seconds at a time. Works ok in router mode but blocks internal traffic to server attached to cable modem. Completely useless since firmware update last week. I have tried rolling back the firmware - can do so on Satellite but blocked on router.

Major bug in new firmware. Any suggestions?

Message 13 of 303
huisakuraflower
Initiate

I had the new update for a few days now, and ever since the update, my wifi/internet connection has been unstable. It will go on and off a few times every day. Internet speed is also slower, with youtube choosing 360P even during non-peak hours.

Am I the only one experiencing such a problem? Are there any solutions available?

Message 14 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 303
Waliuddin
Guide

I am facing the same issue of internet getting disconnected, slower speeds after 4 series update, router not responding via mobile app. Over all a very bad product from Netgear and no sign of refunding the money.
We need to complaint to consumer court and sue them.
Message 16 of 303
Dieselrose
Tutor

RBK750, and yeah my internet has gone from 900MBPS TO 6000MBPS when I do a speed test, and my Xbox Series X which I have CAT 6 Ethernet cable running to is now capped at 95MBPS download speed since this update!

Fix this now!
Message 17 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 303
dhvine
Initiate

I just noticed that my network has the RBR750 router is updated and one of the 2 satellites RBS750 is updated. 

I tried to manually update the out-of-date RBS750 satellite which is V3.2.18.1 but it just gives an error. I downloaded and extracted the file to my download folder and am not having any luck getting it updated.  It is interesting that the manual says that both satellites should be updated before the router is updated. I believe it was automatically updated as I haven't updated. Any help would be appreciated.  Maybe it will be automatically updated; it seems to know there is a newer update but it hasn't successfully installed.

Message 19 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

You might need to turn OFF the other RBS and RBR prior to doing this as the one RBS may connect to the system which you don't want for this process.

@dhvine wrote:

I just noticed that my network has the RBR750 router is updated and one of the 2 satellites RBS750 is updated. 

I tried to manually update the out-of-date RBS750 satellite which is V3.2.18.1 but it just gives an error. I downloaded and extracted the file to my download folder and am not having any luck getting it updated.  It is interesting that the manual says that both satellites should be updated before the router is updated. I believe it was automatically updated as I haven't updated. Any help would be appreciated.  Maybe it will be automatically updated; it seems to know there is a newer update but it hasn't successfully installed.

Message 20 of 303

Same issue here.

The connection to my satellite has gone from rock solid, to regularly disconnecting. One of the satellites regularly goes to a pulsating white light followed by a solid blue light - I assume this means it is losing and re-establishing connecting to the main router.

Never had this problem on any of the old firmwares, just since this one auto updated. I have performed a full factory reset, but the issue continues.

Message 21 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/212426...

@MaleHumanUK wrote:

Same issue here.

The connection to my satellite has gone from rock solid, to regularly disconnecting. One of the satellites regularly goes to a pulsating white light followed by a solid blue light - I assume this means it is losing and re-establishing connecting to the main router.

Never had this problem on any of the old firmwares, just since this one auto updated. I have performed a full factory reset, but the issue continues.

Message 22 of 303
dhvine
Initiate

Many thanks FURRYe38.  I don't think I would have succeeded without your help.  I didn't quite follow your instructions. I didn't want to do the full factory reset on the RBS750 Satellite 1 as there were lots of problems when unit was initially set up so I omitted that step and just connected the Satellite 1 directly to my computer via ethernet cable.  I used the 192.168.1.250 IP address and gave the network login info. Then got to location for doing the firmware update. Provided address for the update file which was downloaded to my PC and updated the Satellite. Worked quickly and effortlessly (thank goodness)!

Very much appreciate the help.

Message 23 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working now.

Enjoy. 

@dhvine wrote:

Many thanks FURRYe38.  I don't think I would have succeeded without your help.  I didn't quite follow your instructions. I didn't want to do the full factory reset on the RBS750 Satellite 1 as there were lots of problems when unit was initially set up so I omitted that step and just connected the Satellite 1 directly to my computer via ethernet cable.  I used the 192.168.1.250 IP address and gave the network login info. Then got to location for doing the firmware update. Provided address for the update file which was downloaded to my PC and updated the Satellite. Worked quickly and effortlessly (thank goodness)!

Very much appreciate the help.

Message 24 of 303
RjDes
Initiate

Just saw this post, so my Orbi had been working just fine for last year or so. Ever since this update my wifi keeps dropping and its an absolute nightmare. I cannot revertback to the old firmware as its V3 on netgear website. I've posted my issues on anohter thread. 

Message 25 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7