Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 (AX4200 bundle) poor ethernet speeds

AggedwNG
Apprentice

RBK752 (AX4200 bundle) poor ethernet speeds

Have a 940mbps download speed coming in to an Arris SB8200 modem from the ISP connected via cat6 to an RBK752, with an RBS connected via wireless backhaul. RBK752 internal speed test verifies the 940mbps download speed. However, only 300-400mbps is showing up at a switch (per port) that I have connected to the Lan 2 port on the back of the RBK752. Switch is a TP-Link SG108 dumb 8-port switch (gigabit - 10/100/1000). Have tested wired via Cat6 to the switch with a laptop and desktop both showing only 300-400mbps. Have also connected both (wired) directly to the Lan ports on the RBK752 bypassing the switch and seeing the same speeds (300-400). However, connecting both laptop and desktop directly to the modem and bypassing the Switch and RBK752, yields a 940mbps result on both. Having a hard time understanding why this router cannot seem to output 940mbps on any of the ethernet ports when these are gigabit-capable ports.. I've tried testing numerous Cat6 cables and end result has been the same each time. On the most recent firmware and wouldn't you know my "support contract" has expired, lucky me.. Anyone else running into these issues?
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK752 (AX4200 bundle) poor ethernet speeds

What firmware version are you on? 

Are you using any parental controls, traffic monitoring, access control, or qos? 

Try with those disabled.

Also, how are you testing speeds? (What app or is it the built in speedtest)

Message 2 of 8
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Hello Plemans. Please see my responses below.

FW: 4.6.9.11

No parental controls or QOS, Armor but do have Access Control enabled. I did have a trial version active long ago for both Armor and PC but these have long since expired and deactivated. Tried testing this morning with Access Control turned off on the router, same speed results at the switch and router Lan ports.

I am testing speed with router's internal speed test and also using speedtest.net on external devices connected via the switch, router Lan ports and modem.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd try factory resetting the router. 

during the reinstall, tests its speeds without changing any armor/SPC/access control/etc. 

Message 4 of 8
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I did this on both the router and satellite after the fw update and also did this again last night. I don't reuse any configuration settings since I have a small list of devices ( < 10) and just manually reconfigure. Still no change in speed at the switch or the Lan ports on the back of the router.
Message 5 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@AggedwNG wrote:
FW: 4.6.9.11

No parental controls or QOS, Armor but do have Access Control enabled. I did have a trial version active long ago for both Armor and PC but these have long since expired and deactivated. Tried testing this morning with Access Control turned off on the router, same speed results at the switch and router Lan ports.

I am testing speed with router's internal speed test and also using speedtest.net on external devices connected via the switch, router Lan ports and modem.

Do you also have Orbi's Traffic Meter disabled?  http://orbilogin.com, Advanced Tab, Advanced / Traffic Meter.  That's the other option mentioned in the community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slo...

Message 6 of 8
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Hello Mikey94025. Thanks for your reply.

Traffic Meter is disabled as well. I have no advanced features enabled, except for access control. I ran a few more tests again, just to eliminate all possible variables I could think of (even using varying Cat6 cables I could find in my closet) resulting in the following:

Removed the switch, powered off all devices that are allowed to connect to the router wirelessly (to avoid any interfering bandwidth consumption) and even removed the satellite and tested with the router only connected to my modem and access control on. Similar result speeds at the Lan ports (1-3) on the router, with 1 wired test device (laptop) with a varied download range of 312-422mbps from the ports. Speed at the modem without router in the chain, 946mbps.

Tested again with the router back in the chain, satellite powered off and access control off, varied download range of 318-411mbps from the ports (1-3). Speed at the modem, without router in the chain, 952mbps.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a faulty RBR that needs replaced. 

Any chance you have a friend, family or neighbor you can take the RBR to to see if the problem follows or not? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7