mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Re: RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

My iPad with no LTE works fine all the time
Message 26 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you tried the suggestions given. Try not to get side tracked by other postings untill we can troubleshoot your problem fully. Sometimes there is just a configuraiton needed and has nothing to do with FW. 

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
I will hopefully have time over the next week to try resetting it all. Out of interest this issue only happens with my iPhone, never my iPad - why would this be? Merry Christmas all 😊😊

Message 27 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hey all

I have time today to reset everything back to factory defaults. Before I do, I have one issue - my apartment and the 2 beneath me have a video intercom which I setup last year for all of our front doors. The intercom is all over Ethernet and all of our front doors run into a small switch which plugs into the Netgear router. When I reset the Netgear switch will it’s IP address stay the same? If it doesn’t it will have an impact on everyone’s front doors which I will have to resolve
Message 28 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

(I didn’t give it a static IP)
Message 29 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I took a chance, all is ok, system has been reset back to factory defaults and has the latest firmware. I’ll make some FaceTime calls and report back my findings
Message 30 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Ok so I’ve already had a dropped WiFi FaceTime call hours after the reset - what is the first step?
Message 31 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347. 

I'd test Facetime device with with the RBS turned off to see if the problem continues...

Message 32 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

To confirm, RBR is the main router and RBS is is the satellite?
Message 33 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
To confirm, RBR is the main router and RBS is is the satellite?

Message 34 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Ok so I’ve disabled AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347 this didn’t work

I’ve now reset both to factory defaults (with the latest firmware) this hasn’t worked

What is the next step please?
Message 35 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

And happens with the RBS turned OFF and the device connected to the RBR only? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and channel 40 on 5Ghz...

Message 36 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might contact NG support about and see:

Actually I take that back, if you contact NG support, they may give you something:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Beta-Firmware-4-6-6-11/m-p/21...

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
Ok so I’ve disabled AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347 this didn’t work

I’ve now reset both to factory defaults (with the latest firmware) this hasn’t worked

What is the next step please?

Message 37 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Latest:

• I have upgraded to the latest firmware and reset both units back to factory defaults
  • All Wi-Fi devices work in the house perfectly over both the RBR and the RBS apart from my iPhone which disconnects on 99% of FaceTime calls immediately as i dial someone, WIFI reconnects the very second the FaceTime call ends
  • I have tested unplugging the RBS and running a FaceTime call over the RBR only and the same happens

What are the next steps please? This is only a FaceTime / Apple issue - no other hardware or software is experiencing issues in the house

Thanks

Mark

Message 38 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:

Latest:

• I have upgraded to the latest firmware and reset both units back to factory defaults Did you upgrade to v4.6.6.11? 
  • All Wi-Fi devices work in the house perfectly over both the RBR and the RBS apart from my iPhone which disconnects on 99% of FaceTime calls immediately as i dial someone, WIFI reconnects the very second the FaceTime call ends
  • I have tested unplugging the RBS and running a FaceTime call over the RBR only and the same happens

What are the next steps please? This is only a FaceTime / Apple issue - no other hardware or software is experiencing issues in the house. You might contact app and ask them for additional help and information regarding this and let them know this only happens on iPhones and Facetime. 

Try setting CTS values to 2347 and enable WMM under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 39 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

I would say YES firmware issue - I hav ethe same issue when using any type of voip on wifi

Message 40 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I currently cannot change any settings on the Netgear router as it is going round and round in circles asking me to change the admin password - just something else wrong with it, does this fix itself?

I am in the UK and am using a EE Smart Hub

Message 41 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem may already have a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I recommend trying option #2 first. 

I'd factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard using a wired PC and web browser. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:

I currently cannot change any settings on the Netgear router as it is going round and round in circles asking me to change the admin password - just something else wrong with it, does this fix itself?

I am in the UK and am using a EE Smart Hub

Message 42 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

Unit typically only asks to change the password when it's first setup or after a factory reset

• Have you reset the router?
  • Is there an option to 'Skip', at the very bottom of the screen - if so try cclicking on that
  • Double check the unit is not complaining tat your passwords either don;t match or are not complicated/complex enough

What settings were yuo looking to change anyways?

Message 43 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

I posted a reply to this but it seems to have disappeared into the ether

The router usually only asks for admin password change on 1st setup or after a factory reset

Do you see an option to 'skip' at the bottom of the page, if so click that. If not double check that the router isnt complaining the  the passwords don't match or are not complex enough

Took a look at the EE Smart Hub manual and it does not mention bridge mode. Lots of EE forum posts saying that you cannot put this unit into bridge mode. Cannot confirm 100% that this is correct, you'd have to follow  that up.

Seems EE tech support don't know their arse from their elbow either. Smart hub looks like its ADSL/DSL so you'd need to replace it with a similar type unit and not a cable type modem

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Smart-Hub-and-Google-Wifi-issue-Need-to-Bridge-to...

Hope that helps

Message 44 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

my ipad works fine on it

Message 45 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

Pretty sure the drops outs are the same issue many are having across the Orbi range. That's all down to faulty firmware

Message 46 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

While i try and sort the router login, even if this bridge mode was the issue - why would it only effect an iphone and facetime?

I can stream 4k on netflix, facetime on an ipad without any issues at all - how could the EE router be the cause of WIFI drop outs on an Orbi?

(keen to understand how this could be a thing)

thanks for your feedback so far

Message 47 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

it has gotten so bad, its literally the minute i dial someone thw WIFI symbol on the iphone changes to 4G, the minute the call ends it turns back to WIFI

Whats app and facebook video calls are not effected, they work totally fine!

Message 48 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

What iOS is loaded on the phone and iPad? 

Did you change the CTS value to 2347 and lets disable AX mode on 2.4G and 5G on the RBR. Then connect the phone to the system. I'd turn OFF the RBS temporarily while making changes. 

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:

it has gotten so bad, its literally the minute i dial someone thw WIFI symbol on the iphone changes to 4G, the minute the call ends it turns back to WIFI

Whats app and facebook video calls are not effected, they work totally fine!

Message 49 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

I have no idea to be honest, but the 'activities' you are using all work very differently and some are able to cope with dropouts without issue when others aren't.

Not a complete answer to the question but, network traffic (packets) often need to be resent as they don't checkout correctly at the receiving end. If you are browsing the web, streaming etc. (non real time events) you likely won't see this issue unless the retry rate gets very high. However, if you are using voice or video (real time events) you will see the issue even at low retry rates. Video drops, gets blocky or you can't hear or understand the voice.

On top of that each device can handle the data or process very differently with differing levels of success. The whole 'thing' is incredibly complex and something that we all now simply take for granted and over simplify it.

However, when this is your business you should'nt e in a position where an entire range of EXPENSIVE devices fail to function due to huma erro - Netgear

Message 50 of 113
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 112 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7