Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

This really sounds like an iPhone issue.  Just a brief search turned up a number of hits regarding Facetime wifi vs. lte, such as:

https://www.unthsc.edu/Information-technology-services/wp-content/uploads/sites/55/WiFiCallingiPhone... 

Message 51 of 113
CrimpOn
Guru

The key seems to be "the instant Facetime is opened, it switches to LTE.. the instant the call drops, it switches back to WiFi"

That sounds like the iPhone, not the Orbi.

Message 52 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hey

I assume there is no news on this? I’m going to have to try another brand this is causing me such an issue now I’m running out of data on my phone each month as my iPhone is constantly flipping to 4G from the Wi-Fi

Thanks in advance
Message 53 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Something to try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
Hey

I assume there is no news on this? I’m going to have to try another brand this is causing me such an issue now I’m running out of data on my phone each month as my iPhone is constantly flipping to 4G from the Wi-Fi

Thanks in advance

Message 54 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I cannot go through this again it’s a total waste of time - I have the latest firmware and it’s crap
Message 55 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Latest being whats on NG download site or what I linked you to? 
And you never confirmed if your ISP modem/ONT has a built in router or not. 

Message 56 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

My router doesn’t have a built in modem

What is the advantage of the firmware you provided, does it fix iPhone disconnection issues? Is it new than the generic latest one provided by netgear as that’s what I’m using at the moment
Message 57 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

I was asking if the ISP modem has a built in router. Some modems/ONT do have a built in router. Some do not. 

Current released version that was pushed, v14 cause lots of problems for lots of users, probably including you as well. We got a pre-released version from NG in hopes it would bring better stability and experiences for user who were not happy with prior FW versions. So far, seems to be having WAY better experiences for users. Something to try. 

Message 58 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Ok good to know, thank you I will try this tomorrow, does the master and the satellite both need the firmware updated?
Message 59 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Update the RBS first then the RBR lastly. Follow the upgrading information seen in the post. 

Message 60 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

@mnichollsuk917 

OK were going to pick this back up here as we need to confirm what your ISP Modem (EE Smart Hub) Is doing and what it is. 

Is your actual modem/router seen here? 

https://www.eehomebroadband.com

We need the model # information of the modem of the sticker please. 

So I just got off of a 15 minute facetime call to a Orbi 50 series user while my iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 15.3 was connected to the RBR850 thats connected to a CAX80 in modem only mode. (Single NAT) Orbi 8 series on v5 FW. Using manual channes 11 and 48. 25% power on the RBR. I have two wifi systems i'm try to keep from creating too much noise. CTS at default of 64. SIP ALG disabled. AX enabled on both frequencies. 

I kept checking the phone for signal change or anything odd. Not one event was seen nor did the phone change from wifi to cell during the call. No dropped call during the entire call. 

Were thinking that your ISP Modem maybe playing a roll in what your seeing and we need to determine if the modem does have a built in router and if it's active while the RBR is online and also working in router mode. If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 61 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hey

Yes it is the black EE smart hub router for £129.99

When I am home this evening I’ll look at the config page and see if there is a router in / off option

When I had decos attached to this router FaceTime had no issues - it had other issues but FaceTime wasn’t one of them! lol

Thanks again
Message 62 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

For clarity, if a FaceTime call is going to drop it does it within the first 5 seconds

If I make it to 30 seconds without it reverting to 4G then it won’t drop at all within that specific call

Message 63 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I’ve had a good look around that EE router config page and can’t see an option to disable / enable any router functions
Message 64 of 113
Foden
Apprentice

I'm pretty sure the EE hubs can't be put inot bridge mode

Message 65 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you see anything in regards to IP Pass thru or DMZ by chance? If not, your going to need to put the RBR in to AP mode.

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
I’ve had a good look around that EE router config page and can’t see an option to disable / enable any router functions

Message 66 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

No I don’t see anything like that

If I put the RBR in AP mode is that all I need to do? Will the RBS still be attached? And is this a possible solution to the problem? I’ll await your instructions before I do anything

Thank you
Message 67 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so this is a double NAT condition that needs to be avoided and is probably the cause of FaceTime immediatly causing the phone to switch from wifi to cell services as the facetime app can't get thru both routers and is probably forcing the phone to cell service to try that connection which probably does work. 

So yes, configure the RBR for AP mode. The RBS should follow and get an IP address from the ISP modem. I might turn OFF the RBS before you change to AP mode on the RBR first. Test the RBR in AP mode first to see if the facetime app works with the RBR in AP Mode. If it does, I hope, then turn ON the RBS and it should connect. 

Message 68 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

It’s now in AP mode with the RBS unplugged

First FaceTime call was good but I just tried FaceTiming my mum and it disconnected immediately
Message 69 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I assume next step is to factory reset and put back into AP mode but will wait to see what you recommend first
Message 70 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the first FT call with your mom or someone different? 

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:
It’s now in AP mode with the RBS unplugged

First FaceTime call was good but I just tried FaceTiming my mum and it disconnected immediately

Message 71 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

My brother, then mum then dad (and they are all in different locations) all calls dropped
Message 72 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

So try your Brother again to see if it drops...you said this first call was good and didn't drop? 

Message 73 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Ah, first was with brother it worked and for all subsequent calls including my bother they all dropped

I just tried my friend Graham and it dropped I called him back and it was ok, I then tried 5 times in a row and they all dropped
Message 74 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, seems like some calls are going thru, then subsequent ones are failing. Wondering if this could be a phone or maybe a ISP/router/ service issue with the Orbi system. 

Lets try a full on factory reset on the RBR. Leave the RBS turned OFF. Set up for AP mode again on the RBR. 

Message 75 of 113
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 112 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7