Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 IP address range

Dazza762
Luminary

RBK753 IP address range

My systems IP address range (which I've not changed) is currently .2 to .254. Would there be any benefit to reducing this to say, .2 to .100? 

I'm also confused why this system is advertised to support up to 40 devices when the IP range suggest it can handle way more than 40 devices. 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I picked it up years ago from another router mfr. What they use. Worked well for me. Just kept that schema. No reason that .2 to .102 wouldn't do the same. Try it out. You can always go back or change to something else. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The reason it says "up to 40 devices" but has a much wider ip range is it does support a lot more devices. 

But when you look at the average user, you have streaming, gaming, etc that use a lot of bandwidth. High bandwidth devices are going to saturate it. But most users don't have 40 devices streaming at the same time (that'd be to much too) but a mix of IoT devices, streaming, phones, tablets, etc. So at average, 40 devices are what it supports. If you only had IoT devices that barely use any bandwidth, you could have much more. 

Message 2 of 9
Dazza762
Luminary

Thanks. So what about my question re reducing the IP address range. Would there be any point in doing that?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Not really.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If found that DHCP seems to run a bit better and more stable with a smaller DHCP IP address range. I've been running .100 to .200 for years now. Just now getting upwards of 40 devices after many years of being at 30 or under. Most homes don't have tons of devices that would need a full DCHP range which is most cases would be never used entirely. 

Also changing the DHCP IP range to something smaller, can allow for some STATIC IP Addressed devices to be configured, if needed. Devices like printers, NAS, controllers and devices that don't need much router management and you want them to be static addresses, this comes in handy sometimes. 

Message 5 of 9
Dazza762
Luminary

Thanks. Thats's what I'd heard as well. Any reason for .100 - .200 rather than .2 - .102?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I picked it up years ago from another router mfr. What they use. Worked well for me. Just kept that schema. No reason that .2 to .102 wouldn't do the same. Try it out. You can always go back or change to something else. 

Message 7 of 9
Dazza762
Luminary

Thanks @FURRYe38 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've left mine stock for years and never had issues. But some prefer a smaller range. 

I haven't noticed any difference. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7