Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 WiFi and Lan

Mizer39376
Aspirant

RBK753 WiFi and Lan

The other day I lost internet to my ISP and noticed that I had no way to access the internal network, WIFI and Lan connected. Is there a configuration I need to use? It seems odd that I can't connect to internal WiFi if I lose external WAN connection.
Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Mizer39376 wrote:
The other day I lost internet to my ISP and noticed that I had no way to access the internal network, WIFI and Lan connected. Is there a configuration I need to use? It seems odd that I can't connect to internal WiFi if I lose external WAN connection.

How is your system configured? Are your satellites wired or wireless? 

When I lose internet connection, my local area network still functions, my cameras still run, and I can communicate with other PCs and devices on the network. You could lose your LAN connection if your Orbi Router is in AP mode and your main modem/router shut down, disabling DHCP, or your Orbi router froze and is not distributing IP addresses. 

Message 2 of 10
Mizer39376
Aspirant

It is setup as wireless, no wired back haul. Also main router is plugged directly into the ISP, no modem. The router is handing out IP via DHCP. I get connected with no internet, but I get no wireless signal and can't connect to anything internally. I can't even get to router by http://192.168.1.1, so not using dns either.
Message 3 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Mizer39376 wrote:
It is setup as wireless, no wired back haul. Also main router is plugged directly into the ISP, no modem. The router is handing out IP via DHCP. I get connected with no internet, but I get no wireless signal and can't connect to anything internally. I can't even get to router by http://192.168.1.1, so not using dns either.

You must have something setup wrong

Message 4 of 10
Mizer39376
Aspirant

That really was not helpful.
Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Mizer39376 wrote:
That really was not helpful.

If you post your settings I could be more helpful

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

@Mizer39376 wrote:

Message 7 of 10
orbira
Apprentice

@Mizer39376 wrote:
I get no wireless signal and can't connect to anything internally. I can't even get to router by http://192.168.1.1, so not using dns either.

If you don't have any wireless signal, how are expecting to connect to router? Can you connect to router using a wired device and test out that way? Without wireless of course you will see what you are seeing.

Message 8 of 10
Mizer39376
Aspirant

That is my concern, why do I lose wifi, if I lose ISP connection? My 30 years experience with routers says that I should still have a WiFi connection in my house if I lose ISP wan connection.
Message 9 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Mizer39376 wrote:
That is my concern, why do I lose wifi, if I lose ISP connection? My 30 years experience with routers says that I should still have a WiFi connection in my house if I lose ISP wan connection.

Are you losing WIFI or connection to other devices? If your DHCP server goes down, you will lose WIFI connection to other devices.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7