Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753S AX4200 not compatible with Qnap NAS

DennisLJ
Aspirant

RBK753S AX4200 not compatible with Qnap NAS

Installed a new Orbi AX4200 into my network and my Qnap NAS disappeared. Or actually I can't log into it using the Orbi as the router. When I remove the Orbi, and install my old Linksys wireless router, my NAS shows up and I can log into it. I spent hours on the phone with tech support and we tried all sorts of changes to see if we could get the Orbi to let me connect. We were never able to get to a log in screen. So I have reinstalled my Linksys router and turned off wifi. I've then set up the Orbi as a Access Point for wifi. Now I can access my NAS and use the Orbi mesh wifi. This is not how I wanted to intall the Orbi, but it looks like it will do the job. 

If anyone has any ideas as to why the Orbi isn't compatible with the Qnap NAS I'd love to hear it. Tech support couldn't figure it out.

Message 1 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@DennisLJ wrote:

Installed a new Orbi AX4200 into my network and my Qnap NAS disappeared. Or actually I can't log into it using the Orbi as the router. When I remove the Orbi, and install my old Linksys wireless router, my NAS shows up and I can log into it. I spent hours on the phone with tech support and we tried all sorts of changes to see if we could get the Orbi to let me connect. We were never able to get to a log in screen. So I have reinstalled my Linksys router and turned off wifi. I've then set up the Orbi as a Access Point for wifi. Now I can access my NAS and use the Orbi mesh wifi. This is not how I wanted to intall the Orbi, but it looks like it will do the job. 

If anyone has any ideas as to why the Orbi isn't compatible with the Qnap NAS I'd love to hear it. Tech support couldn't figure it out.

How is your NAS wired into the Orbi router or satellite?  Any switch inbetween may cause problems. When you say you "can't log into it" what do you mean?  Is it just that the DNS for the NAS is not visible but you can you successfully ping it's IP address from another laptop?

If you haven't done this already -- Best test is to first connect the NAS directly into the Orbi router's LAN port and see if it is visible (can you ping the NAS IP address from a laptop client), next change to one of the Satellite's LAN ports and test, next change to an intervening switch and test, etc.

Message 2 of 7
DennisLJ
Aspirant

My Qnap NAS's 10G card is connected through a 10G switch and 10G ethernet connection to my thunderbolt 3 10G box connected to my MBPro. So it needs to be connected through the 10G switch. My Linksys router doesn't seem to care that the NAS is connected to the switch. In regards to "seeing" vs being able to "log-in", the Orbi can see the NAS it just won't open the log-in page. The tech and I spent a few hours trying different addresses and "allowing" blocks in the setup screen on the Orbi, but nothing seemed to work. We tried Firefox as the browser too to see if it was a Safari issue, but that didn't work either. 

Why would the Orbi not work going through the 10G switch?

Message 3 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

I don't know why, but there are various reports here about Orbi connectivity issues between various switches (particularly ones that are not unmanaged).  No doubt other routers, like your Linksys, may work hust fine whereas the Orbi does not.  If you want to experiment, try taking the switch out of the equation.  Then follow-up with Netgear support.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@DennisLJ wrote:

My Qnap NAS's 10G card is connected through a 10G switch and 10G ethernet connection to my thunderbolt 3 10G box connected to my MBPro. So it needs to be connected through the 10G switch. My Linksys router doesn't seem to care that the NAS is connected to the switch. In regards to "seeing" vs being able to "log-in", the Orbi can see the NAS it just won't open the log-in page. The tech and I spent a few hours trying different addresses and "allowing" blocks in the setup screen on the Orbi, but nothing seemed to work. We tried Firefox as the browser too to see if it was a Safari issue, but that didn't work either. 

Why would the Orbi not work going through the 10G switch?

Message 5 of 7
DennisLJ
Aspirant

The switch is a Netgear XS724EM Smart Managed Plus switch.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The common problem with Orbi and any kind of managed switches were some hunts on the network for STP root et all. To my knowledge, the XS724EM does not participate in STP FWIW.

What comes into my mind is the potential issue with Ethernet ports not handling the Ethernet Pause frame used in the flow control between two direct peers, read on the direct physical link. These can source from USB or TB hubs with Ethernet ports e.g. when not in use (computer sleeping or disconnected). But in your case the connectivity from the MBP through the switch e..g to access Orbi and the Internet is fine as far as I understand. Or does the MBP probably fall-back to Wi-Fi? Please confirm.

Last but not least, do both routers (old and Orbi AXi) use the same IP subnet? Just in case if the QNAP should have a static IP config on the port...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7