Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753S - Alex Echo Gen 3

kgurney
Tutor

RBK753S - Alex Echo Gen 3

I recently purchased the ORBI RBK753S WiFi Router for my home.   I purchased this device due to its ability to support 40 connections.   However, I recently purchased a new Alexa Echo Gen 3 and was unable to connect the device.   I spoke with two different people in technical support neither of them were able to resolve the issue. 

I find it hard to understand why this problem is not well documented and that their is no easy fix to the problem.   I think we would all agree the Echo Gen 3 device is very popular today and thus this issue must be impacting the satifaction of this WiFi Device.   

My next step is to return it Costco if I don't get a quick and easy answer to this problem from this note.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

The Orbi AX series may have some wireless compatibility issues with default settings.  Try these (in order):

1. Go to http://orbilogin.com/ and in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings, change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
  2. In Advanced... Setup... Wireless Setup, uncheck AX mode for 2.4Ghz.
  3. In Advanced... Setup... Wireless Setup, what Security Option are you using?  Try the other of [WPA2 or WPA].

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post in the Orbi AX forum for you model Orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

I have a 1st and 3rd gen Dot connected to my Orbi AX system.

Good Luck.

@kgurney wrote:

I recently purchased the ORBI RBK753S WiFi Router for my home.   I purchased this device due to its ability to support 40 connections.   However, I recently purchased a new Alexa Echo Gen 3 and was unable to connect the device.   I spoke with two different people in technical support neither of them were able to resolve the issue. 

I find it hard to understand why this problem is not well documented and that their is no easy fix to the problem.   I think we would all agree the Echo Gen 3 device is very popular today and thus this issue must be impacting the satifaction of this WiFi Device.   

My next step is to return it Costco if I don't get a quick and easy answer to this problem from this note.

Message 3 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@kgurney wrote:

We have several customers with ORBI RBK753S systems, that have Echo plus 2nd gen and Echo 3rd Gen devices running with no issues.

What steps did you take to install the new Echo 3rd gen? To rule out an Echo issue, have you tried installing it on another wireless network?

Message 4 of 10
kgurney
Tutor

The configuration tool does not allow me to make these adjustments on this particular model.  This was the same attempt made by the Tech Support Line when I called them.  They too were not aware of this limitation on this particular model that is sold through Costco.   

I must admit I'm very surprised that such a common wifi device such as the Alexa Echo Gen. 3 would not have been tested prior to this going out on the market.   

Thanks for your attempt to help me.

Mahalo

Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@kgurney wrote:

The configuration tool does not allow me to make these adjustments on this particular model.  This was the same attempt made by the Tech Support Line when I called them.  They too were not aware of this limitation on this particular model that is sold through Costco.   

I must admit I'm very surprised that such a common wifi device such as the Alexa Echo Gen. 3 would not have been tested prior to this going out on the market.   

Thanks for your attempt to help me.

Mahalo

Can you give me the exact steps you did? I ask because we have setup Echo products on the Orbi 753S AX4200 system. I doubt Costco sells a modified model, so it should work? We just use the normal setup using the Alexa app. You do have an Amazon account, correct?

Message 6 of 10
kgurney
Tutor

The Alexa app will discover the device but when you attempt to enable it onto the Orbi WiFi Router is won't connect.   I attempted this process several times with no success.   I do have other Alexa Echo devices which enable w/out problems but the newest version Gen 3 will not work.   

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347?

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I kind ran into the same problem with my gen 3, I did have a prior 2.4Ghz router that I put onliine behind the RBR. Set the same SSID name and PW on this router and got the Dot connected. Once it was online, it seemed to need a FW update on the DOT and after that took place, I turned OFF the 2nd router and the DOT migrated to the Orbi wifi with out any problems. Something to try if you have a spare old router. 

Message 8 of 10
kgurney
Tutor

Thanks for your help but I simply gave up and returned the Alexa Echo Gen 3 device to Amazon.   If I run into other similar issues with this WiFi I'll return the WiFi Router to Costco.   I'm just too lazzy to setup another WiFi device.   This one took an entire day; was anything but easy.   

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Good Luck.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements