Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK762S Backhaul Extender?

Hothand
Aspirant

RBK762S Backhaul Extender?

Hi,

Does Netgear make a backhaul extender for their Orbi's?  I don't need a wifi extender.  I need an extender to extend the backhaul to between my Orbi RBK762S router and satellite.  If so, what is the model number?

Thanks,

Hothand

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK762S Backhaul Extender?

No.

Why do you need to extend the backhaul? 

What is the distances between the RBR and RBS? 30 feet or more up to say 50-60 feet is about max range. 

One can ethernet connect the RBS to the RBR for extended distance range from the RBR. You can see up to 300 feet here. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

A physical Ethernet cable is the preferred method of connecting satellite to router over distances up to the limit of the cables.  90 meters is guaranteed (plus patch cables at each end), although some cables appear to support longer lengths. See: https://tripplite.eaton.com/products/ethernet-cable-types 

Often the desired distance is too far or installing actual cable is simply impractical or extremely costly.  In that case, it is possible to use a "Point to Point WiFi Bridge" which which provides a gigabit Ethernet interface to each unit.  The satellite and router "see" Ethernet and have no idea that the actual transmission medium is radio.  Search Amazon for point to point wifi bridge and read some of the user reviews about the situations involved.  (Barns, outbuildings, and boat docks come up frequently).

Message 3 of 6
Hothand
Aspirant

I'm pushing the max range.  About 50 feet plus walls.  The signal between the router and satellite changes between good and poor.  I was trying not to have to buy another satellite to put in between.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sounds like this is within one building, so running a physical cable might be a lot easier than going from one building to another.

WiFi is really sensitive to materials in the path.  Sometimes moving router and/or satellite just a bit will improve the signal quality.  We often have only a vague idea what is "in the walls".  (I once found that the signal to an upstairs office laptop improved greatly when the laptop was moved three feet because there was a brick chimney hidden inside the wall of a house built in 1928 when the house was heated with a coal burning furnace.)

Also, WiFi units tend to do better when higher.  (Possibly one reason there are so many wall mounts being sold on Amazon.)

Maybe a little experimenting with placement will change "Poor" to "Good"?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need another RBS or try using LAN cable:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

@Hothand wrote:

I'm pushing the max range.  About 50 feet plus walls.  The signal between the router and satellite changes between good and poor.  I was trying not to have to buy another satellite to put in between.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7