Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK763S (AX5400) reseting to factory default

Soloman
Star

RBK763S (AX5400) reseting to factory default

I have run into an issue where after I reset the RBK760 and two Satellites, I can not get back to a single network.  During the setup process, I encounter a message stating that there is an existing router or gateway present and the various devices in the house including computers, Alexa devices and switches are assigned IP addresses in the 191.168.1.XXX range, but a certain small subset of others are assigned in the 169.254.61.XXX range.  I do not have another gateway/router installed in the house.  How can I get by this issue - anyone have experience with it?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you setting up the RBR using Orbi app or PC connected to the RBR and web browser? Web browser is preferred. 

Try setting up the router disconnected from the ISP modem/ONT.

Message 2 of 8
Soloman
Star

When I use the PC web browser for the setup without being connected to my Modem/ISP, the built-in Orbilogon app does not bypass the search for the Internet in order to continue the setup process.  Is there another way to setup the RBR760 using the web based method only?

Message 3 of 8
Soloman
Star

The Modem that I have been connecting to is a Motorola MB8611 Docsis 3.1 on the Comcast Network gigabit service.  

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

I would try setting up the Orbi system with the RBR disconnected from the modem using a wired PC and web browser and walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1 after you factory reset the RBR. 

Message 5 of 8
Soloman
Star

Still quite frustrated since I have spent about a day trying to get what had been a stable network over the past several months to reset to my original configuration.  I tried the power down of all devices and tried setting up using the web browser directly to the NG router with the modem disconnected, but still can not get all devices attached under the same IP address series, and many wireless devices are just not connecting.  Thinking of upgrading to the 953 or 963 series Orbi modems - do you think that would correct the issue?  Do I need to go to a NG modem as well - such as the CM2000 to ensure campatability?

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Do you have any Armor, Parental Controls or Traffic meter enabled? 

I might ensure that all troubleshooting has been exhausted before going to another Orbi system. Possible this maybe a configuration issue at least. If the system had been working then things stopped working. What changed here that would cause this? Getting into a newer system could see same issues if not fully addressed. 

Yes a NG CM series modem would be recommended. 

Message 7 of 8
Soloman
Star

I do have the latest Firmware loaded: V6.3.1.0_1.1.41

The home is about 3100 Sq ft. I have the main router located at the center of the home and a wired backhaul connection to the first Satellite which is around 30 feet away through severals walls.  The Second Satellite is in my Shed which is over 100 feet away, but still maintains a 2.4 Ghz wireless Backhaul connection.  I tried various channel combination as recommended but som no difference in the Net work issues.  

The one solution that seems to work (tried it previously) is reinitializing the network and changing the password for access to the network (using the default SSID).  That means I have to manually reconfigure all of the end devices with the new password (Ring Cameras, Switches, Wifi lights etc) - but they all connect at once after I compete that change.  

What I have seen in previous system resets due to power less etc,  is that this issue reappears after those events.  Neighbors system are all quite distant and have quite low signal strength once they reach my house - I don't think that is the source for any external interference.  

With the latest reconfiguration of the Network, I have replaced my previous Motorola modem with the Netgear CM2000 - hopefully eliminating that as I had changed to Motorola a couple of months ago.  

I am quite dumfounded about this situation.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7