Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 Nat loopback bug on satellite

phusebox
Guide

RBK852 Nat loopback bug on satellite

I have a domainname setup to access the NAS on my network. For example mydomain.com

When I go to this domain on an external network, so out of home or on my phone provider, everything works fine.
When I do this when connected to the main router of the RBK852 set, again everything works fine.

When I am connected to the satellite however, it doesn't. Seems like a NAT loopback issue? 

Message 1 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about and get additional help and information on. 

Message 2 of 31
phusebox
Guide

Found out the issue only exists when the satellite is connected with a cable for backhaul . When it is connected wirelessly it works as expected.

Support won't do any good. I thought bugs were meant to be reported here?
Message 3 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

No, contact and report the bug there with support.

When the RBS is wire connected, is it directly connected to the RBR or is there switch in between? 

Message 4 of 31
phusebox
Guide

A Netgear prosafe switch is between the RBR and the RBS.
Message 5 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

To rule out the switch causing problems, directly connect the RBS the back of the RBR and test again with out the switch. 

Message 6 of 31
gb777
Apprentice

Yep, it's a bug. Apparently, only select devices in Netgear's line up were chosen to receive standard functionality that meets RFCs.

Please ignore @gb777 posts. They either don't know what they're talking about, or in the few cases where they do, choose to ignore it (the NAT loopback issue in particular was discussed here multiple times.)

Message 7 of 31
phusebox
Guide

An 800 Euro Mesh system that doesn't have the basic functionality of a 75 euro router... 😞

If only that was the only shortcoming of this overpriced system.
Message 8 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be great to know if this happens with out the switch in line as well. Trying to gather some info. 

What is the model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

If loopback is working with the RBR and not the RBS, lets try to figure out the RBS issue. Maybe if we can gather some info, we can work with NG on this. Smiley Wink

Well if it's still a problem for you then ether contact NG support and let them know about it or return it and find something that works for you. 

@phusebox wrote:
An 800 Euro Mesh system that doesn't have the basic functionality of a 75 euro router... 😞

If only that was the only shortcoming of this overpriced system.

Message 9 of 31
phusebox
Guide

I will test it some more and come back on this. It might even be that the wifi part does support it and the Ethernet part doesn't. Will test that as well as without the switch. Replacing the switch for another one would be an easy and cheap solution.
Message 10 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post the model # of the switches you have. There are some odd issues with switches that can cause problems. 

Message 11 of 31
phusebox
Guide

The switch that is between the RBR and RBS is a Netgear GS105E.

Message 12 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a smart managed switch. Can you disable IGMP protocols and any green ethernet features on this switch? 

Message 13 of 31
phusebox
Guide

It seems I am gonna have to reset it, as my login credentials don't seem to work anymore. Nor do the default settings.

Message 14 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the RBS directly connected to the RBR as well with out the switch connected...

Message 15 of 31
phusebox
Guide

Well, the funny thing is it does work when the satellite is not connected to a cable backhaul or when the client is connected to the router.
Message 16 of 31
gb777
Apprentice

"connected to the router" with an Ethernet cable without a switch in between, or connected via wireless? Make sure you have the wireless turned off.

Those are different interfaces inside the devices.  I tested on mine running "nc" directly on the router (so coming from 127.0.0.1) and it didn't work. Inside the router, there are multiple interfaces from which packets can be received.  Wired and wireless use different interfaces. The port forwarding rules must accommodate both.

The router generally can't tell if there's a switch between its wired interface and the client or not.  All Layer 2 protocols are designed to be transparent in this respect, especially with unmanaged switches, which are simple frame forwarders (plus some learning of the topology of your home network). Not that it's impossible for the switch to play a role, but just very, very unlikely.

Message 17 of 31
phusebox
Guide

Will try again just with Ethernet and without WiFi.
Message 18 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, thats facinating. Smiley Wink

Now can you fully disable ALL IGMP protocols and any green ethernet features on the switches management web page to see if the switch will change the behavior? I presume there maybe one or both of these features that could be interferring with the lookback behavior. If not, try a non managed, non green ethernet switch. I use HP Procurve 1400/1800 series for my network

@phusebox wrote:
Well, the funny thing is it does work when the satellite is not connected to a cable backhaul or when the client is connected to the router.

Message 19 of 31
xtbe
Guide

This sounds more or less to the issue I have.

I set up port forwarding to one of my pc's and set up DDNS. When I access from within the same network the DDNS address it works. However the RBK852 is to a GS116eV2. Every device that is connected to the GS116eV2 can't reach the DDNS address. 

Additional info when I directly connect a GS105 switch and connect a pc to that one, then it works.

So it would look that there's something wrong or missing with the GS116eV2 but after reading this thread I'm not sure if the cause is the switch of the RBK852. 

Thanks for any advice, hint, tip.

Message 20 of 31
gb777
Apprentice

Message 21 of 31
phusebox
Guide

I have given up. If I connect the satellite with a cable, I get this issue. With this issue the whole set is useless to me. Without the cable connection the mesh is mediocre at best.

Most overpriced useless router ever.
Message 22 of 31
gb777
Apprentice

What is "this issue?" Lack of NAT Loopback?  Did you try the fix proposed and changed

bridge-nf-call-iptables

Message 23 of 31
phusebox
Guide

I have no idea how to apply that and don't like messing about in things I have no knowledge of.

This NAT Loopback issue together with this set dropping all my Teams calls makes it completely useless...
Message 24 of 31
gb777
Apprentice

NG actually sent me a test firmware that does nothing but change this flag. If you file a case with them, perhaps they send it to you, too.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7