Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 in Router Mode Internet Slows to 100MB up/down

AKLGUY
Apprentice

RBK852 in Router Mode Internet Slows to 100MB up/down

Hi team

I have had the 852 for a while now always had it behind another router and in AP mode but I wanted to use the VPN function of the Orbi. So I changed to the Orbi set it up in Router Mode. Got all the MTU settings from my ISP. It works fine for a while at full speed (850-950mb down and  500mb up). But every so often it just drops to 100mb both ways.

I did have this issue before, but decided to go back to the AP mode and use my router.

But now I need the VPN for longer option I wanted to move back to it.

I updated the Firmware to the latest V4.6.14.3 Then I factory reset my Orbi Router and then set up fresh without copying settings and twice in 1 hour it has dropped from full speed back down to the 100mb both ways.Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 9.09.16 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-24 at 9.06.13 AM.png

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this speed test with VPN active? 
What do you see with VPN disabled? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 2 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

The ONT is Chorus model 200
Pretty much the standard ONT in NZ
The providers router when in use is Vodafone Home hub.

Are you suggesting turn off the VPN see if the speed drops?
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

As a comparison test, yes. 

Message 4 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Will try this next time the speed drops to 100/100 seems to be stable at the moment
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

No, even when I disable the VPN service on the Orbi. at random times the speed still drops to 100/100

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

The next time this happens, would it be convenient to record what appears on the

• Orbi web interface
  • Advanced Tab
  • WAN port in the "Show Statistics" box

Number just slightly under 100Mbps are highly suspicious.  Often this indicates that the router and ISP device hardware has negotiated a speed of 100Mbps.  See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation 

100Mbps requires only two pairs of wire inside the Ethernet cable and 1000Mbps requires all four pairs.  Not only do they have to be connected, they have to be connected correctly.  For example, if the RJ45 plug is slightly loose in the RJ45 jack, it might be OK one minute and not OK another.  Sometimes changing the cable fixes this.

Of course, if the speed drops to just slightly under 100Mbps and the Orbi continues to report that the speed is 1000Mbps/Full, then I have wasted your time.

Message 8 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Ok thanks. It has happened again

But this time I am in hospital so can't trouble shoot by replacing the LAN cable again.

Can you disable the Auto Negotiation?

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 5.48.05 PM.png

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

Can you disable the Auto Negotiation?

No.  Auto negotiation is part of the electronics of the Ethernet adapter.  That's how they are built these days.  The same chips are used in millions of computers and other devices.

Is it the case that for some period of time, the Show Statistics page displayed a connection status of 1000M/Full for the WAN port and then it changed to 100M/Full?

Message 10 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

That just happens after random times. A full reboot.  And it is back to normal.Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 8.07.16 PM.png

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

There is either a LAN cable problem or a HW problem at the ISP modem/ONT or on the RBR. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the RBR and ISP modem/ONT. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

I'd have the ISP check any logging on the ISP modem/ONT for any connection rate changes on there WAN Port. They should be able to see that. 

Something you can try as well, put in a 1Gb LAN non managed switch in between the ISP modem/ONT and the RBR. Connect ONLY the modem/ONT line and the RBR line to this switch. No other devices. Use the switches LED indications to see if the ISP Modem/ONT or the RBR change connection rate. 

Message 12 of 13
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thanks Furrye38

I will try these things once I am out of Hospital.

The other option is I move back to the ISP router and put that between ONT and Router and just set up Port forwarding etc to allow the VPN to work.

The VPN is a godsend ah I can log in and update my Plex, Just have to reboot the Orbi every so often to get back to full speeds so I can watch things

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7