Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 slow WiFi

Jon20175
Aspirant

RBK852 slow WiFi

Hey y’all

I have broadband service and get 50-70 mbps over an old Apple AirPort Extreme.

I installed my orbi and one satellite and the WiFi speed is capped at 10mbps. I thought it maybe increased traffic so I plugged my AAE back in and the speed went right back up to 70mbps.

I have reached out to customer service multiple times. They elevated me to LVL 2 (whatever that means) and I haven’t heard back from anyone in a week.

Is there a setting or something I am i missing? I bout ready to return this and go back to the AirPort Extreme.

Jon
Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What are your wired speeds with a PC and at the RBR? 

What wireless devices do you have connected and using to speed test with? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

Something seems wrong with your setup / wireless settings, but it may be a Mac thing.  Make sure you're connected at 5Ghz for the fastest wireless speeds.

On my Windows laptop connecing via 5Ghz and sitting very close to one of my AX satellites, fast.com gives 470 Mbps.

However, my work Macbook Pro sitting next to a different AX satellite can only get 52-95 Mbps, even when connected to a 5Ghz channel (I used the Airtool app to verify since it's not easy on MacOS to force 5Ghz).  I can't explain why the Macbook wifi performance is so much worse. If I switch it to an ethernet cable connected to the same nearby AX satellite then fast.com gives me 250 Mbps!

Message 3 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

It is not a system issue. My dell laptop doesn’t get any better speeds.

It is a settings or configuration issue. Can’t figure out what it is.

Message 4 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

I'm more familiar with Windows so my suggestions will involve your Dell laptop:

1. Are you able to connect your Dell via an ethernet cable to the base and/or satellite?  If you can, that tells us if it is a wireless setting or a base station issue.
  2. Let's assume wireless.  In Advanced...Setup...Wireless Setup:
    • Is AX checked?
    • Is Security options set to WPA-PSK [AES]?
  3. Did you leave all the other Orbi wireless settings at the defaults?  The RBR850 interface has even less options than the RBR800 to mess with, but the defaults seem fine for me.  In particular, in Advanced...Advanced...Wireless Settings:
    • Is Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence checked?
    • Is Enable WMM checked for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this? Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2346. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices.

@Jon20175 wrote:
Hey y’all

I have broadband service and get 50-70 mbps over an old Apple AirPort Extreme.

I installed my orbi and one satellite and the WiFi speed is capped at 10mbps. I thought it maybe increased traffic so I plugged my AAE back in and the speed went right back up to 70mbps.

I have reached out to customer service multiple times. They elevated me to LVL 2 (whatever that means) and I haven’t heard back from anyone in a week.

Is there a setting or something I am i missing? I bout ready to return this and go back to the AirPort Extreme.

Jon

Message 6 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Tried it. No change. Both are at 2346.

Thank you, though.

Message 7 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

1. Dell is wireless. No Ethernet port available for hardwired connection.

2. Yes ax is checked. Yes spa-psk aes checked.

I am not a tech guy (obviously). Didn’t change any settings, was going this would work out of the box. It doesn’t for me.

Last 2. Yes yes.

Thank you for trying.

Message 8 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jon20175 wrote:
1. Dell is wireless. No Ethernet port available for hardwired connection.

I think it would really help if we isolate whether the issue with the Orbi's connection to your router, or if it is just the wireless.  If you have access to a USB-to-Ethernet dongle then you can connect an ethernet cable to your Dell laptop and see if there is any change.

It doesn't sound like there is anything you have setup wrong or differently from the rest of us using the Orbi AX at high speeds.

Message 9 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Ok. Found an old docking station.

Ethernet from Mikrotik to laptop. Download 40 mbps upload 11 ping 40. (About expected for time of day).

Ethernet from orbi to laptop. Download 9 upload 8 ping 33. Test conducted within 2 minutes of mikrotik to laptop test.

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different laptop if you have one or can barrow on. 

Ensure wifi adapter drivers are up to date for th Dell laptop. 

What is the mfr and model # of the wifi adapter installed in the Dell laptop.

@Jon20175 wrote:
Ok. Found an old docking station.

Ethernet from Mikrotik to laptop. Download 40 mbps upload 11 ping 40. (About expected for time of day).

Ethernet from orbi to laptop. Download 9 upload 8 ping 33. Test conducted within 2 minutes of mikrotik to laptop test.

Message 11 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

So I am confused on your methodology.

I have plugged in an AirPort Extreme directly to Mikrotik. Get 40mbps+ wirelessly on all devices Mac and PC.

I plugged in laptop to Mikrotik. Get 40 mbps+.

I plug in orbi to Mikrotik. Get 10 mbps-.

The problem seems to be based in the orbi, not the model and mfg and firmware of other devices, right?

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Helpful to know the Mfr and model # if the adapter. 

However this is something NG will have to help you out on. Not much else we can do here in the forums:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Have them help you with debug logs found here:

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

They will probably ask you Mfr and model# of the adapter as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.

I am still waiting to hear back from “Customer Support”. I update my available times daily in my file. Haven’t heard from
Them in going on two weeks. Terrible service.
Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would take into account during this world event of CD19 that most support will be delayed. If you have a case open or ticket open, keep in touch with them. 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 24
Bandito
Luminary

It's probably worth trying a factory reset and then reconfigure your Orbi from scratch.  This has cleared up slow speeds for other users in the forum here.

Message 16 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Thanks for recommendation. Tried factory reset. No change. Tried unplugging satellite so only focused on base unit, no change.

Bout ready to return and find a better solution.
Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Helpful to know the Mfr and model # if the adapter. 

Message 18 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

The orbi is the RBK852

The ISP antenna is
Mikrotik
RBSXTR
R11e-LTE-US
RouterOS v6.46.4

That is all that is connected. Not sure of any adapters.

Thanks

Jon
Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

You reported using "Dell is wireless." ?

Message 20 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Sorry. I was just trying to show that speeds was device agnostic. I don’t get any higher speed regardless of PC or Mac. Mobile or laptop. I am somehow capped at 10mbps. I have login to antenna and can see it coming in faster.
Message 21 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jon20175 wrote:
I have plugged in an AirPort Extreme directly to Mikrotik. Get 40mbps+ wirelessly on all devices Mac and PC.

I plugged in laptop to Mikrotik. Get 40 mbps+.

I plug in orbi to Mikrotik. Get 10 mbps-.

Did you use the same ethernet cable to connect the Orbi to your Mikrotik that you used for the AirPort Extreme and the laptop?  It certainly does seem to be your Orbi base unit, assuming everything else is exactly the same (same cable used, connected to the same port on the Mikrotik).

Message 22 of 24
Jon20175
Aspirant

Yes. The mike Otis is mounted high on the exterior of the house. A single cable is run to a place in the house. I have no ability to change out the cable. So the antenna end cable are the same.

Jon
Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have your prior router by chance? IF you do. you might do this, swap in the prior router and speed test. See if speeds are to spec. if it is, then this point to the RBR. 

I presume if a factory reset has been performed and setup from scratch on the RBR, and speeds are still not to spec, I would presume the RBR is faulty. Only other way to check the RBR out is to take it to a different location with a different ISP Modem and see if the problem follows. If it doesn't, then the issue is between the RBR and your particular ISP Modem. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7