Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 with RBS50 and RBS20

Daveu
Star

RBK852 with RBS50 and RBS20

I've replaced my RBR50 with an RBR850. I have two RBS20 and one RBS50 plus my new RBS850. Can I continue to use the 3 older satellites?  They're all connected by wire. Some go through a gigabit switch. I understand I'll loose ax, but that's ok with me. 
Also is my RBR50 useless now or can I somehow use it? I've read about switching it to an AP and it'll work like a satellite. Is this correct? If so, how do I do this?

this is my first post here...hope it's ok to ask questions here. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 with RBS50 and RBS20

@Daveu wrote:

I've replaced my RBR50 with an RBR850. I have two RBS20 and one RBS50 plus my new RBS850. Can I continue to use the 3 older satellites? As long as they are ethernet connected. RBS AC series is not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. They're all connected by wire. Some go through a gigabit switch. I understand I'll loose ax, but that's ok with me. 
Also is my RBR50 useless now or can I somehow use it? I've read about switching it to an AP and it'll work like a satellite. Is this correct? No. If so, how do I do this?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Daveu wrote:

I've replaced my RBR50 with an RBR850. I have two RBS20 and one RBS50 plus my new RBS850. Can I continue to use the 3 older satellites? As long as they are ethernet connected. RBS AC series is not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. They're all connected by wire. Some go through a gigabit switch. I understand I'll loose ax, but that's ok with me. 
Also is my RBR50 useless now or can I somehow use it? I've read about switching it to an AP and it'll work like a satellite. Is this correct? No. If so, how do I do this?

Message 2 of 8
Daveu
Star

Ok thanks for the quick reply

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
jamajuel
Aspirant

@Daveu wrote:

I've replaced my RBR50 with an RBR850. I have two RBS20 and one RBS50 plus my new RBS850. Can I continue to use the 3 older satellites?  They're all connected by wire. Some go through a gigabit switch. I understand I'll loose ax, but that's ok with me. 
Also is my RBR50 useless now or can I somehow use it? I've read about switching it to an AP and it'll work like a satellite. Is this correct? If so, how do I do this?

Has this really worked? I have installed this now assuming the ethernet backhaul would work. But it doesn't really. It does show me the satellites as connected. But the Wifi does not roam. Instead, the factory default SSIDs of the satellites ("OrbiXX") are visible. I can even connect to them and then the connection work. But that's not the point of such a system. 

Am I missing something?-

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi RBS AC series are not officially supported on Orbi AX systems. So ethernet may or may not work. I believe it had worked for some on prior FW v3 versions. Possible that NG made this no longer work on v4 FW. 

Message 6 of 8
jamajuel
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi RBS AC series are not officially supported on Orbi AX systems. So ethernet may or may not work. I believe it had worked for some on prior FW v3 versions. Possible that NG made this no longer work on v4 FW. 

Arguably so. It's still very much annoying and seems like a questionable product rather than technical decision. Perfectly understandable that the wireless backhaul is not compatible, but ethernet? Come on.  

Ayway, sending it back now and just ordered an Amazon Warehouse deal on a RBK50, which was the only lucky way to get another satellite.

It would be nice to update to Wifi 6 but it's not worth 1500+€ given that I would need to buy router + 3 satellites. This is just way too expensive.

Mostly added my reply here since, as the OP said, there are many posts here saying it worked for them but it doesn't seem to anymore. Might save others some hassle!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably better off. Sometimes you can find deals on woot as well.

Just tried my RBS50 ethernet connected to my RBR750. It synced however previous SSID and log in PW was seen on the RBS status page. 

Doing a factory reset on the RBS50 and letting it auto sync with the ethernet cable connected. It showed as connected on the RBRs web page as a satellite and "wired" status. But I could not access the RBS web page. Tried 3 different log in PWs and kept getting failures. I believe the one time I got in I saw the SSID was default and not what I have configured. Looking at a phone and SSID listings shows same SSID name I saw before I got logged out of the RBS web page. 

So I presume for the most part, not working. 

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7