Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK853 3.2.16.6 firmware delete wifi password

darkinners
Tutor

RBK853 3.2.16.6 firmware delete wifi password

Since I updated my RBK853 firmware to 3.2.16.6

If I change ANY setting via webbrowser. Orbi wifi will became "insecure" 

meaning you can connect to my Wifi SSID without password. 

To remedy this is you need to use Orbi app to reboot the Orbi router and satellite, then the SSID would back to secured (you need to input correct password in order to connect)

Also sometimes you do not even need to input username and password to login the webgui..even you already set the username and password. you type in the router IP address without even prompt a pop up to ask you for user/pw, it just went straight in logged in...

You NEED TO use Orbi app to reboot the Orbi, if you reboot the orbi via Web browser GUI, it does not work.

Also despite I disabled the 2.4Ghz wireless all together via WEB GUI, my iPhone 11 Pro still connects to 2.4Ghz...No way to let me connect my phone to 5G channel even I put my iPhone right next to the Orbi Router or the satellite. 

I did a couple of  factory reset via GUI and it does not help but I tried to power down all my satellites and connect only the router and use a paper clip to do a factory reset via the hardware button. Then setup all over again and add the satellites one by one (both of them did a factory reset via hardware button as well)

It's working (for now) but I cannot change any settings now, if I change anything, it loopback to the initial issue I had and I have to do above steps all over again in order to solve it...

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try Edge, IE11 or Opera or Safari. Ive not had any problems with v6 FW. 

How was the FW updated, thru the orbi app or RBRs web page or did you manually download the FW files and apply them? I prefer to manually download FW files and apply them directly to the RBS then RBR. Then factory reset. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 2 of 6
darkinners
Tutor

I used Chrome(PC/MAC), Edge(PC), Safari(MAC) with all extension disabled including adblocks, also cleared cookies, cache..etc 

Result is all the same.

I use manual update, the firmware directly downloaded from Netgear support page.

I update the satellites first then update the router, as advise by support page.

I can only manually update the firmware as my RBK853 are in AP mode. They cannot check for new firmware themselves. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

And then run a factory reset after the update? 

So you change back to router mode or do the factory reset and setup from scratch, just leaving in router mode, can you make changes while in router mode? 

Something is off if you can't make any changes while in AP mode. Though I haven't tested AP mode as of yet. Should matter though. 

Message 4 of 6
darkinners
Tutor

Yes, once I did a factory reset it will revert back to Router mode, I had to factory reset using the hardware reset button in order to fix the issue I had. If a do factory reset via GUI, it won't work.

Like I mention, if I did a hardware factory reset and setup all over, it works.

But if I change any settings via GUI afterward, it will loopback to the issue I have initially then I have to factory reset again. 

It does not relate to what setting cause this, as long as I change any settings while in AP mode, it has the chance to mess up. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well maybe a HW fault as well. Something I would make contact with NG about or return the system and get another. I've had mine in AP mode before and have seen this issue though it's been a short while since last time I used AP mode. Trying to work on a NEST issue currently in router mode so I can't redily change to AP mode. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7