Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK853 Or i Access point and ASUS Router

netcora
Tutor

RBK853 Or i Access point and ASUS Router

Hello. I purchased a RBK853 mesh system with the purpose to use as AP and use. my ASUS AC5300 router as the main router. The configuration I will use is modem of ISP- My Asus router AC 5300 - the RBK853 in AP mode. The questions are:

1.-I pretend to use the satellites to connect my devices who needs internet via LAN. In other words the satellites can have wifi SSIDS but I care more they communicate to be able to send ethernet connection to devices connected to the ethernet port of the satellites. What is the best way to do this> Considering RBK853 will be in AP becauase I use my router for other things. I just want to use the RBK853 to extend the ethernet port of my router via the satellites.

2.-I have in my asus router AC 5300 several configurations in some devices that are in the network via DHCP and static IP's according the MAC. When I connect the RBK853 and if I connect this devices, wired as question 1 I made or wireless to the satellites, the IP's DHCP MAC static IP is lost? and the RBK853 and satellites will create a new IP. I would love the RBK853 whole system for each device is connnecetd wireless or wired takes the configuration fo the router asus and assign the same router asus as I have now the static IP. In other words I don't want the RBK853 system assigned new IPs or I just want the router has 100% control of that. Is possible I suppose then? And the best how can I configure the RBK853 to do this?

Thank you

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi RBR850 router is connected to the Asus router using an ethernet cable to the internet port (yellow) and the Orbi router is placed in Access Point (AP) mode:

• All DHCP assignments will be made by the Asus router.
  • Any device connected to any Orbi unit (router or satellites) will use DHCP to request an IP address, and the Asus router will provide one.  If the Asus router has an assignment table relating specific IP addresses to specific ethernet MAC addresses, that is what the devices will receive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi RBR850 router is connected to the Asus router using an ethernet cable to the internet port (yellow) and the Orbi router is placed in Access Point (AP) mode:

• All DHCP assignments will be made by the Asus router.
  • Any device connected to any Orbi unit (router or satellites) will use DHCP to request an IP address, and the Asus router will provide one.  If the Asus router has an assignment table relating specific IP addresses to specific ethernet MAC addresses, that is what the devices will receive.
Message 2 of 5
netcora
Tutor

Uff Wonderful. That is what I wanted to avoid assign IPs to dozens of cameras or devices.

Two more things.

*To configure the satellites can be made via AP mode or I need to continue on router mode only?

*I have a Qnap connected with Link Aggregation directly to my Asus router and flies really is amazing the speed. But what would be the best connect the Orbi to the link aggregator ports of the Asus router and the Qnap to the Orbi? Or as I have? I don't know if connecting the Orbi to link aggregation ports on the router will give the same speed as I have connecting the Qnap directly to the Asus router.

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@netcora wrote:

*To configure the satellites can be made via AP mode or I need to continue on router mode only?

There is  nothing to configure on satellites.  Only the router performs any kind of "router functions" when in router mode. (DHCP, port forwarding, DDNS, OpenVPN, access control, etc. etc. When in AP mode, the router stops all that and becomes a simple Access Point.

@netcora wrote:

*I have a Qnap connected with Link Aggregation directly to my Asus router and flies really is amazing the speed. But what would be the best connect the Orbi to the link aggregator ports of the Asus router and the Qnap to the Orbi? Or as I have? I don't know if connecting the Orbi to link aggregation ports on the router will give the same speed as I have connecting the Qnap directly to the Asus router.

The Orbi link aggregation is intended for use with an ISP modem that supports link aggregation. (see page 77 of User Manual)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

Moving the QNAP from the Asus to the Orbi clearly reduces the maximum transfer rate to 1GB because the Orbi does not support link aggregation to client devices.  A large part of the decision may be related to how devices that use the QNAP are connected and whether the Asus supports more than one link aggregation connection.  (one to QNAP, one to Orbi)

• If they are connected primarily to the Asus itself, then leaving the QNAP on the Asus makes the most sense.
  • If they are to be connected primarily to the Orbi, and the Asus supports multiple link aggregation connections, leaving it on the Asus makes the most sense.
  • If they are to be connected primarily to the Orbi but the Asus supports only one link aggregation connection, I don't think it matters.  Either way, the QNAP is limited to 1GB.
Message 4 of 5
netcora
Tutor

Ok thank you

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements