Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK963 wont allow Synology NAS to access the internet

Jaydius
Aspirant

RBK963 wont allow Synology NAS to access the internet

I recently upgraded our Netgear Orbi RBK852 system to the Orbi RBK963.  On initial setup of the 963 I upgraded to firmware version V6.3.5.8_3.2.19.  I then proceeded to set up the fibre internet connection and port forwarding rules for the Synology NAS.  My intention was for a seamless transition from the older Orbi model, but it has been far from problem free.

The Synology NAS doesn't seem to have access to the internet (Error on Synology:  Network error occurred. Please check your DNS and network settings), even with all required ports added to the port forwarding rules on the Orbi.  Ive tried setting the NAS IP as the DMZ, still no luck with it accessing the outside world.  Ive tried using UPnP for the port forwarding rules - This populates all necessary ports, but still no change.  Ive tried several factory resets of the Orbi.  Ive also tried mirroring the configuration from the RBK852 and it makes no difference.  Ive tried two different Synology NAS on the new 963, the same issue.  If I plug them in to the 852, the issue goes away. 

On the Synology side ive tried static and dynamic IPs, manually setting the DNS server (1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8) to ensure it wasn't a DNS issue, and also did network resets on the NAS units.  As mentioned above, on the Orbi 852 theres no connectivity issue, the moment I plug them into the 963, all external connectivity is gone - I can still access the Synology internally though.

Ive spent well over ten hours now testing every conceivable configuration and im at a loss.  If it wasn't for having another Orbi to test with in the RBK852, I would assume it was a Synology issue, but as two seperate Synology NAS units work fine when plugged in to the old router, its clear its an issue with the new 963.  

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Could it be a firmware issue?  Faulty hardware?  Or have I missed something. 

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please re-confirm the FW version. There isn't a v.8 version for the 9 series. I presume it maybe v.85?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have Armor or Smart Parental controls enabled at any time on the 9 series?

Have you contacted Synology about this? If other devices are able to access the internet thru the RBR, then this maybe specific to the NAS configuration.

Message 2 of 14
Jaydius
Aspirant

Apologies, the firmware is V4.6.9.11 2.3.5

I’m away from home at the moment so unable to get the ONT details. Will post them shortly.

Have not enabled armor or parental controls on the new Orbi.

I haven’t contacted Synology yet, as the issue is specific to the RBK963 as mentioned. The fact both Synology NAS work fine on my old 852 is what has me pretty convinced it’s an issue with the new Orbi router.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

That FW version if for a 8 series orbi. Not the 9 series.

Message 4 of 14
Jaydius
Aspirant

That’s the version on the 852. The original post has the few version of the 963. I did wonder why the few version was so different from what’s on the offical firmware page of Netgear? But as it was an automatic update the Orbi made on setup I assumed all was okay.
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So is V6.3.5.8 actually V6.3.5.85?

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I see were v.8 comes from. Oy vay. 

So try this, downgrade the RBS first then the RBR back to v.85:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBKE9-Series-RBRE960-RBSE960-Fir...

Factory reset and setup from scratch. Don't enable any armor, spc or traffic meter. 

Check and see if this changes the NAS behavior. 

Message 7 of 14
Jaydius
Aspirant

Thanks for that.  I wasn't able to downgrade the firmware.  I did however isolate the issue - Its in relation to the 2.5G port.  When plugged in to this port the NAS is unable to see outside the internal network (even though it states on the box the port can be used for devices as well as backhaul between satellites).  I may have missed something, but nowhere does it say the port shouldn't / cant be used for network devices.  With the NAS plugged into one of the 1G ports it fixes the connectivity issues.

So a question for anyone that has the RBK963: Are you able to use the 2.5G port for connecting devices? 

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let me ask about this. I've only used the 2.5Gb port for the RBS. 

When it comes to Orbi, anything is possible on this things. 🙄

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Been mentioned that there could be a possible port speed negotiation handling issue at the NAS. This would track to the NAS as the NAS worked on your 8 series which only has 1Gb LAN ports and now that you have the NAS connected to the 1Gb port on the 9 series and works. 

Others have told me that they have had devices connected to the 2.5Gb LAN port behind there 9 series and those devices work here. 

Message 10 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jaydius wrote:

Thanks for that.  I wasn't able to downgrade the firmware.  I did however isolate the issue - Its in relation to the 2.5G port.  When plugged in to this port the NAS is unable to see outside the internal network (even though it states on the box the port can be used for devices as well as backhaul between satellites).  I may have missed something, but nowhere does it say the port shouldn't / cant be used for network devices.  With the NAS plugged into one of the 1G ports it fixes the connectivity issues.

So a question for anyone that has the RBK963: Are you able to use the 2.5G port for connecting devices? 

Interesting find.  Yes, I have a 1Gb switch connected to my 2.5G base port and all those devices are communicating fine back to my Orbi home network.

Try different cables?  Try a 1Gb switch between the 2.5G port and your NAS?  Try another device wired to the same 1Gb port?  These tests can help isolate where the issue is.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The problem is seen when his NAS is connected to the 2.5GB LAN Port on the RBR. It connects fine with the NAS connected to the 1Gb LAN ports on the RBR. Seems like his NAS doesn't handshake with the 2.5Gb LAN port correctly for some reason. Maybe try a 2.5Gb switch behind the RBR then the NAS connected to this switch. My XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series.

What model Synology NAS is this? @Jaydius 

Message 12 of 14
Jaydius
Aspirant

I dont currently have a 2.5Gb switch to use to test unfortunately.  The NAS has a 2.5Gb network card so shouldn't be an issue.  Ive tried several network cables to ensure that wasn't causing any issues.

I havent tested it again since the recent firmware update though (Although I didn't see any mention of any changes / fixes in relation to the 2.5Gb port).

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume there wouldn't be since there hasn't been any problems with the 2.5Gb port on NGs side of the fence. 

What model Synology NAS is this?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7