Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 850 satellite intermittently drops internet

Big_Denny
Aspirant

RBR 850 satellite intermittently drops internet

Product: Orbi RBR850 w/ 1 Satellite bought packaged together from Best Buy

The satellite intermittently loses internet access or connection to the router once or twice a day. Thew connection functions normally the rest of the day.

the satellite seems to go through a reset of some kind flashing orange and restoring a blue connection after about 5-10 minutes. 

Have already performed factory reset and updated to firmware version 3.2.16.6

Verfied that devices connected wi-fi to router maintains stability and internet.

Only devices connected to satellite lose internet but devices still show healthy wifi signal.

Is this a hardware issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Denny

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

I'm assuming you meant RBS850 Satellite?

Is the satellite wired or wireless? If wired, chech the network cable.

I wireless, what is the distance between the satellite and RBR850 router?

Also check the power supply to make sure it is not faulty.

And lastly it could be a defective satellite.

Message 2 of 7
Big_Denny
Aspirant

I'm assuming you meant RBS850 Satellite?

Yep, it is the RBS850 satellite.

Is the satellite wired or wireless? If wired, chech the network cable.

Wireless.

I wireless, what is the distance between the satellite and RBR850 router?

Just over 30ft. We had it further before and the drops were very frequent. At its current location, it went about a month with no hiccups whatsoever. And it still has strong connection all day until the random 5-10min where it disconnects/restarts, once or twice a day.

Also check the power supply to make sure it is not faulty.

Opened a support ticket today and the rep mentioned this so I will get a new a/c adapter and plug it into the wall versus the surge protected strip it is on right now.

And lastly it could be a defective satellite.

Have an open hardware ticket. Just sucks that the hardware is new from May, at least the warranty applies.

Message 3 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

It could be power drops, surges, spikes, brownouts, depending on where you live. It's been terrible, where I'm at in Tampa Bay, with daily brownouts, due to storms and hot weather.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure to post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@Big_Denny wrote:

Product: Orbi RBR850 w/ 1 Satellite bought packaged together from Best Buy

The satellite intermittently loses internet access or connection to the router once or twice a day. Thew connection functions normally the rest of the day.

the satellite seems to go through a reset of some kind flashing orange and restoring a blue connection after about 5-10 minutes. 

Have already performed factory reset and updated to firmware version 3.2.16.6

Verfied that devices connected wi-fi to router maintains stability and internet.

Only devices connected to satellite lose internet but devices still show healthy wifi signal.

Is this a hardware issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Denny

Message 5 of 7
Big_Denny
Aspirant

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

We actually had it closer to 40ft away when we got the system in May, but the connection would go purple fairly periodically. At its current location at about 32ft, it was functioning properly for the last few months with no drops/disconnects at all.

From about 4 weeks ago, it would start going orange or purple about 1-2 times daily and take about 5-10 minutes to get itself sorted. 

The router is fine and stays connected to the internet. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Channel 6 for 2.4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Most neighbors have wifi, probably all around us in a 100ft on each side and more like 1000ft front and back. When searching for a network, i can spot at least 8-10 strong signals.

Message 6 of 7
Big_Denny
Aspirant

I could totally agree with your idea, except the router itself stays connected and provides reliable wifi all day. But tech support did mention the possibility of unstable current in that particular wall socket or a bad a/c adapter so I am looking to move it a bit.

It could be power drops, surges, spikes, brownouts, depending on where you live. It's been terrible, where I'm at in Tampa Bay, with daily brownouts, due to storms and hot weather.

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7