Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Cannot reach company websites

dudeSweet
Aspirant

RBR750 Cannot reach company websites

Currently have Fiber -> ONT -> RBR750 with two satellites (RBS350).  New house, new internet 🙂  

Firmware on all devices is 4.6.11.1 

I'm getting timeout errors when trying to connect to any work vpn/crm that requires credentials for my company.  Strangely, netflix also times out although other streaming services work fine.  Netgear support has had me reset the system twice, and place static DNS addresses without any success.  

Reaching out here due to users' expertise with these systems, and to avoid the blame game between manufacturer and ISP.  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dudeSweet
Aspirant

Re: RBR750 Cannot reach company websites

My ISP called and allowed me to plug into the ONT directly and I was able to confirm all sites I need access to were available.  Following the direction of Orbi phone support, I copied all ip information and statically set the Orbi router using my PC's mac address.  

This fully restored all of my access.  

I'm thankful for all of your replies and assistance!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Was this working previously?

• Different ISP?
  • Different home WiFi system?
  • Same computer?

Most VPN software produces a log file that  details each step in the process.  ( I use OpenVPN client because OpenVPN host is supported in the Orbi router for connecting to the home LAN when away.  It produces a very detailed log.)

Does your log file indicate the exact IP address that it is attempting to reach?

Message 2 of 10
dudeSweet
Aspirant

Thanks for the response! 

We're using Cisco AnyConnect for VPN access to assets on the company network.  Message history from my earliest attempt this morning:

7:10:55 AM Checking connection state.
7:10:55 AM Please wait as this may take up to 30 seconds.
7:10:55 AM Umbrella is inactive.
7:10:55 AM You are not currently protected by secure web gateway.
7:10:55 AM The secure web gateway is not licensed.
7:10:55 AM The secure web gateway is disabled.

Note that our service now instance is reachable while off vpn (as well as several other web apps that we use). 

In the past week, I've successfully used all of this software at Starbucks, an Air B&B, my hotspot, etc (we just moved into this new house and purchased the Orbi for our home) on the computer in question - I've never had an issue with any network.  This is my first experience with Orbi or the ISP.  

Netgears plan of action is for me to plug directly into the ethernet side of the ONT, test applications, if successful - store all relevant network info (ip address, dns), then statically assign the Orbi router with those values to test.  I've requested any network requirements from the ISP but I don't believe I've talked with the right people yet - it's an uphill battle.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@dudeSweet wrote:

it's an uphill battle.

Absolutely.  Networking issues are frustrating.  In general, Netgear support's suggestions are reasonable.

• It is useful to learn if the fiber system assigns the same public IP address to the Orbi system as it does when the computer (probably a laptop) is connected directly to the ONT.
  • There are indeed weird situations where an Internet Service Provider (ISP) DNS servers do not resolve URL's correctly.  I personally set the Orbi DNS servers to CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8).
  • Both Netgear and I are assuming that the laptop has an Ethernet port (or you have an Ethernet to USB device?)

"Timed Out" does not seem to match the log entries.  Is is possible to increase the logging level (perhaps to "debug"?) in Cisco AnyConnect?  Is this web site any help?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect40/administration/gui... 

Everything is working except the Cisco AnyConnect and Netflix?

Message 4 of 10
dudeSweet
Aspirant

Everything (that I've tried, at least) works except Netflix, VPN connection (via anyConnect), and any work sites (Sharepoint, Service Now, etc) that I try to visit.  I am using a laptop with a physical ethernet port - no dongle.  

I've been unable to connect my laptop directly to the incoming line due to my ISP locking connectivity to one mac address (currently the Orbi router).  I've requested they call me, then unlock it... but the small electrical/data co-op that serves this area isn't very responsive.  

I've ran the VPN dart tool but the output is pretty significant.  Summary.txt didn't appear to have any glaring issues.  I've also ran the /debug.htm while sending requests to service now and netflix, but don't know where to look to find the errors.  I have noticed that the region in Orbi is set to Canada, but cannot be changed.  Other forum posts/reddit suggest the ability to unlock via telnet are now disabled and I can confirm there's no telnet checkbox in advanced/advanced/wireless.  both ssh admin@192.168.1.1 and telnet 192.168.1.1 fail.  

Really appreciate you time 🙂
Considering getting a router from the ISP and putting orbi into AP mode only at this point.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model of the ONT. 

Is there any router between the ONT and the RBR? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Last thing to try would be to update FW and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

@dudeSweet wrote:

Currently have Fiber -> ONT -> RBR750 with two satellites (RBS350).  New house, new internet 🙂  

Firmware on all devices is 4.6.11.1 

I'm getting timeout errors when trying to connect to any work vpn/crm that requires credentials for my company.  Strangely, netflix also times out although other streaming services work fine.  Netgear support has had me reset the system twice, and place static DNS addresses without any success.  

Reaching out here due to users' expertise with these systems, and to avoid the blame game between manufacturer and ISP.  

Message 6 of 10
dudeSweet
Aspirant

The technician reported the ONT was an Adtran, but didn't know the model name - and I've misplaced my security driver set. It's the outdoor model so likely a SDX 622vh.  There is no router between - Orbi is set as the router.  Per the tech (and their supervisor), it's just a firehose to the internet with no blocking.  They've reported success with other mesh systems - this was their first time seeing Orbi.  

LAN cable between the incoming rj45 and orbi is my own supplied cat6 cable.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so if no router between the ONT and RBR, then that's good. AP mode won't work in this configuration. 

I'd give the FW update a try. Follow the manual installation method and factory reset and setup from scratch. Dont' load any saved configuration backups from file. Start fresh with a ethernet connected Pc and web browser to walk thru the RBRs setup wizard. Don't enable any feature services after you complete the wizard. Go right in and check the VPN connections. You might get your work IT tech online with you to see if they can check there config from there side as well. 

As a test, put your PC in the RBRs DMZ and see if this changes behavior.

Message 8 of 10
dudeSweet
Aspirant

My ISP called and allowed me to plug into the ONT directly and I was able to confirm all sites I need access to were available.  Following the direction of Orbi phone support, I copied all ip information and statically set the Orbi router using my PC's mac address.  

This fully restored all of my access.  

I'm thankful for all of your replies and assistance!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7