Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 Drop Wifi for 3-4 Minutes Multiple Times a Day...

mattg1960
Star

RBR750 Drop Wifi for 3-4 Minutes Multiple Times a Day...

Yes, I am having the same issue as everyone else; I can't access the router via a browser or the app.

But, like many, I also have Wifi (sort of).

I could live temporarily with not accessing the router directly if NG will fix this issue on a reasonable timeline.

But why does my Wifi drop at random times for 2, 3, or 4 minutes at a time?

It happens on both the 'Main' and Guest networks.

It always fixes itself with no interaction from me.

But we live in a neighborhood with zero cell service, and depend upon Wifi calling for our iPhones, and my wife relies heavily on Wifi for Zoom calls.

It's not the modem because I have plugged her MacBook Pro directly into the modem when this happens and her internet is fine.

Any solutions that don't require in IT degree?

Bear in mind that I am a graphic designer who is only moderately techie. When I pay this much for a well-reviewed product I expect it to work almost flawlessly.

The Orbi replaced an Asus Zen system which was also well-reviewed and turned out to be a piece of junk, along with Asus having the worst customer support I've ever experienced.

Thanks in advance...I am extremely frustrated with expensive tech that doesn't work.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

d Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Setting

Message 2 of 11
mattg1960
Star

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V4.6.5.14

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

It is Netgear CM600

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

4,000, 2-story. Modem and router upstairs, 1 satellite in living room and 1 in the kitchen (both downstairs).

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
About 30 feet between the two satellites. More than that from the router to either satellite.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

The main (family) network is 5GHz. The guest network is 2.4GHz, both password-protected with different passwords. I cannot change settings as I don't have access to the router.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

There are 6 or 7 Wifi networks that show up on my MacBook Pro. All of them are password-protected.

d Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Setting

I can't do any of this as I don't have access to the router.

I appreciate your help, and I see that you are a major contributor here and obviously very techincally-minded. But this goes to my main issue; this is a consumer product and Wifi technology is more than 2 decades old. If I wanted to be a network administrator I would have bought a commercial-level product like Ubiquiti. I don't and I didn't.

If I ever get router access back I will try your suggestions. I am giving NG until next week and if I can't get access and can't stop dropouts I will be returning it to Costco if I can.

I just want something that can cover my house, provide 200Mbs download speed, and can stay up and running without a babysitter. I don't think I'm asking for a lot, especially considering the price of these units.

Thanks again...

Message 3 of 11
mattg1960
Star

Btw, I highlighted your questions in red, but when I posted it turned all the type to black, making it harder to read, so my apologies.

Even this forum doesn't seem to work : )

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and Web Browser at  HTTP and 192.168.1.1

Message 5 of 11
mattg1960
Star

Kind of pointless if a consumer product is this user-unfriendly. Like I said, I'm not an IT tech and my Mac does not have the right connection for the cable, so now I have to go out and buy some sort of converter.

How about 1: NG fixes the dropout issue and 2: NG updates the firmware to allow me (and seemingly thousands of others) to access our routers either via the app or a browser?

This should not be difficult for a half-billion dollar company...

Sorry for the frustration, but all of the 'just do a factory reset' answers are sub-optimal for many.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand the frustrations. Along with everyone elses and mine as well. 

So NG is aware of the issues. Please review the top status for that information.

The only way to regain access to the RBR is a reset thru a wired PC connection and web browser. 

USB to ethernet adapters are fairly cheap and easy to use. I have a few on hand. 

Message 7 of 11
mattg1960
Star

New clue: The Wifi just dropped again a couple of minutes ago. 

I went upstairs and saw the white light on the router flashing. Both satellites had a solid purple light.

When Wifi returned 4 minutes later, there was a solid yellow-ish light on both satellites for about a minute after the Wifi came back.

I ran upstairs and there was no light on the router, but I might have missed it.

Does this make sense?

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Seen this on my 7 and 8 series. I've passed this along to NG for review. I found that mine were rebooting around every 7-8 hours. Took about 5 minutes to get back to ready and continued working until next mysterious reboot. 

I'll add your thread to the info I sent to NG. 

Message 9 of 11
mattg1960
Star

Thank you...and it's frustrating because it seems to be random...at no set time that I can figure out (on the hour, etc.).

If NG figures out router access, I'd like this problem to go away as well or I will have to return it and go with a different manufacturer. My wife's access to Wifi is mission critical for her job as we have no cell signal at our house and can only make calls via Wifi calling (let alone everything else).

Thanks again...

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't know when this will be fixed. I believe NG has something in place for the no web page access or doing a factory reset and setup from scratch gets you access. If your still in the return time frame, you could return. Maybe try back at a later date. I would, until NG gets this fixed, just don't get that information on when fixes get put in. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7