Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 Guest Network visible while guest network is disabled

DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Sure, if i power off, then GN disappears. Your steps to work this out did not work. I can not wait x Minutes for GN to appear, because it only appears when I have WIFI dropouts. 

Now I could manage to make a screenshot. You can clearly see that GN ist disabled (not checked) but it shows up in "Wifis nearby". Sorry for GN-Name but I am fed up with this. Just before the moment of screenshot I changed GN Name and pressed "apply", you can See Netgear_GUEST & new SSID in parallel.

Message 26 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using v4.6.7.5 FW on the RBR and RBS now? 

Message 27 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 since it is available.

Message 28 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW file appled to the RBR and RBS? Thru the RBRs web page or directly to each units web page?

I presume using a web browser and using the RBS and RBRs web pages to send the files to each unit? 

Only thing I can think of if to re-load the FW on the RBS and RBR again. RBS first, RBR lastly. I'd use MS Edge or Firefox. After they are re-loaded. Turn OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute. Leave the RBS OFF. Turn ON the RBR and after it comes to ready use the ERASE funtion on the RBR to factory reset it. Setup from scratch. Try setting manual channels 1 and 40. Leave CTS at default for now. Disable Guest Network. Leave the name default as well for now. Set Transmit power to 50%. Disable most of the Log options seen under Advanced Tab/Admin/Log. I would disable the logs for options you know that you don't normally use, i.e. VPN and blocked and accessed sites. Ensure NTP is set for your time zone and DST is enabled if your in the USA region. You can enable traffic meter or leave it off. I have mine enabled and No limit set. Avoid enableing Smart Parental Controls and Amror. 

After the RBR configurations have been applied and the RBR rebooted, I'd bring the RBS to same room or near the RBR. Turn one RBS ON at a time. I would press the sync button on the RBS after the front LED starts to blink. Then on the RBR. Wait until the front LED turns BLUE then OFF. Watch the status on the RBRs web page. Log in to the RBS web page and make sure you don't see any Guest Network being displayed and the SSID name and Security mode is set on the RBS web page. Once done, turn off the RBS and do same process for next RBS. 

Once RBS are fully synced wirelessly, power them off and put back in remote locations. You might try powering ON 1 RBS for now and see if the Guest Network reappears when something happens. If it happens again, swap out the RBS for the other RBS and see. If it continues to happen, then this is either a FW issue or a HW issue with your system that NG support will need to check into and see what can be done. 

Message 29 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Can you tell me where I can find Firmware 3,x ? I would try going back to older FW first

Message 30 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

NG download site however seen others try and the system re-updates back to v4 soon after. 

You can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

Message 31 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

So I gave it a last try today. Did EXACTLEY what you told two post earlier. Re-Installed firmware 4.6.7.x made an 30-30-30 Hard Reset on all devices and started from scratch without changing anything, so default WiFi name, default PW. After all Orbi were online and synced, I connected my Laptop via WiFi. And what could I see?? NETGEAR_Guest !!!!! Doublechecked instantly if GN is switched ON but it is SWITCHED OFF. 

Just tried a view hours without changing anything, I got WiFi Dropouts again and again I could see GN available. I wrote GN password down and try to connect to GN, this worked, so I was online via GN despite GN is turned off.

I then opened a case to change hardware via Netgear support. They asked if I did 30-30-30 reset after updating and I confirmed. Looking forward HOW they will help me. 

Message 32 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep on them about this. Seems that your unit maybe having problems. Might ask them for a RMA.

Have them help you capture Debug logs from the RBR AND RBS. IPAddress/debug.htm. 

Message 33 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Quick Update. I am in contact with support for 2 months now. They ask me every once in a while if they can get new traces / logs from Router & Satellite. Did send them now 3 different logs of all devices. Still want more logs....I assume they dont know what they are doing. 4 different support-guys asking same questions "did you do this, have you tried that"...if they would just read what I wrote them it would be nice.

Now the support case is in 2nd level support and they will reach out to me....and what did they want? Yes...again traces...

I am so done with all this stuff, waiting for closing of this case and if the do not want to refund, I will immediately sell all my Netgear stuff.

Cheers

Message 34 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded? 

Asking for logs and traces doesn't mean they don't know whats going on...

Message 35 of 42
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@DennisMaxx @FURRYe38 

I have tested/recreated this with my RBR750.

When the RBR750 (and RBS750) reboots, the Guest Network SSID DOES show briefly (for me, it is about 3 minutes), even though Guest Network is turned off.    After about 3 minutes the GN SSID disappears.    During those few minutes, you CAN log into the Guest Network, but then when it drops it, then connection to the GN is dropped as well.

What I am assuming is that when you satellite drops and reconnects, it also broadcasts that SSID for a short time period.   Since you are looking at the SSIDs when your satellite drops, you notice it.   However, after a few minutes, it should drop off.

IF it remains broadcasting after 3 or 4 minutes - then it is doing something different from my 750.   Please let me know if it remains broadcasting after 3 or 4 minutes.

Unfortunately, the GN SSID can not be left BLANK.

Should the RBR or RBS be broadcasting the GN SSID when it is disabled?   It should not.   This is definitely a bug in the FW.  It does not resolve the issue of your RBS constantly rebooting, but hopefully it does explain why you are seeing the GN SSID.

@DarrenM   @ChristineT     The fact that RBR750/RBS750 is broadcasting Guest Network SSID for 3 - 5 minutes following reboot (and accessible)- even if GN is disabled is concerning.   Can this be raised to engineering team?

Message 36 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you @TC_in_Montana for checking this. I'll get this to NG for review.

Message 37 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. It could be that it is like you described it. I don't know why the RBR / RBS disconnect my WiFi Devices, but when I recognize this (for example iPhone switches from WLAN to 5G), I always can see Guest Network.

When RBR / RBS reboots after power off, I can see GN for 3-5min and also can connect to it. Then it disappears until I discover that one of my devices has lost WiFi connection. Because of that, I connected my work notebook via LAN to not get interrupted in my calls. LAN is working totally fine, never saw any disconnect except when my landline fails.

Message 38 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded? 

Message 39 of 42
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@DennisMaxx 

So I see that you said this:  "LAN is working totally fine, never saw any disconnect except when my landline fails."

Are you by any chance getting your Internet and Voice through the same ISP and same modem?   Who is your ISP and what is the modem you are using?

I ask this because I had the same issues of my network being up, but my internet going gown - and at the same time, I lost my home phone service (no dial tone).   This is a sign of the modem rebooting - not an issue with the Orbi.

I had a Spectrum provided E31U2v1 modem that after about a year of working started rebooting itself every day or so - and sometimes even more frequently than that.   I took it back to Spectrum and got a new modem - this time an E31T2V2 (manufactured by "T"echnicolor vs "U"bit).    Have had it only a few months - but have had ZERO modem reboots since replacing it.   Whether this one craps out after a year or so is yet to be seen.

Message 40 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

Firmware is still V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 but the problem existed also in older FW versions, but as far as I remember not with FW 3.x

I'm based in Germany and do have Telekom as ISP. Modem is FritzBox7490 with latest FW-Version. I have a daily reconnect at approx. 3:30 in the morning. Logs in FritzBox are totally fine, there is no connection loss at the same time when my Orbi starts to drop connection to WiFi devices. There is only 2 devices connected directly to FritzBox via LAN:

1) Orbi RBR

2) PS4 (cause I use always LAN for WLAN and PS4 is right next to FritzBox)

WiFi is alway off in FritzBox to not interfer with Orbi WiFi.

Message 41 of 42
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

After testing more Firmware-Version I am currently at FW 4.6.9.7_2.3.4 (installed 1 hour ago)

In addition support asked me do deactivate 20/40Mhz coexistency during tests with Firmware-Version 4.6.8.3. Until now, this problem did not happen again.

Keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂 

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series