Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 SHOWING DEVICES i DON'T RECOGNIZE

boston_mama
Guide

RBR750 SHOWING DEVICES i DON'T RECOGNIZE

I installed the new Orbi system and when I go into devices, I see all my regular devices but there are these two items that I don't recognize.  What are they?  Not sure why my photos aren't showing.  It is showing DEV-39:89:F3 and shows as Network and then DEV-72:23:FD with a picture of the armor under it and the wifi strength signal.

I had an older orbi and it never showed these DEV-xxx items before.

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic2.jpg

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR750 SHOWING DEVICES i DON'T RECOGNIZE

If you log in through the browser, can you see what those devices are and what their mac ID is? 
You can use an identifier for the MAC address. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Are these connected devices Iphones or iPads? If so, Apple has implemented Privacy Address on there iOSs now. This causes this to appear as a DEV in the deplayes and web pages since the main Mac address is now hidden. If your at home mostly you can disable Privacy Address feature on the Apple devices while at home. I have mine disable. If I travel or fly somewhere, then I re-enable it. 

Message 3 of 6
boston_mama
Guide

@FURRYe38 I don't think so as I can still see my Ipads and iphones as devices on the device list (and connected).

Message 4 of 6
boston_mama
Guide

@plemans When I go to the list on my browser, only the DEV-72:23 shows up but there is no information for me to figure out what it is.  And the other DEV item (the one that says it's a network) isn't on the browser but I can still see it on my orbi app.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@boston_mama wrote:

@plemans When I go to the list on my browser, only the DEV-72:23 shows up but there is no information for me to figure out what it is.  And the other DEV item (the one that says it's a network) isn't on the browser but I can still see it on my orbi app.

On the Attached Devices page, there is a column titled "MAC Address".  That value can be entered into a web site that has a database of manufacturer codes, such as this one: https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html 

What you should see is that the "Device Name" has been created by joining "DEV-" and the last part of the MAC address.

If the web site comes back with "manufacturer unknown", that is why we have a fixation on products which have an option to disguise the true MAC address with a fake one.  Apple is the most obvious, but Android devices and several brands of laptops do the same thing.

For interesting reading, do an internet search on "MAC address randomization".  There will be hits such as this one:

https://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme-networks-blog/wi-fi-mac-randomization-privacy-and-collateral... 

The device has a type of "Network" because that is the default type for something the Orbi cannot look up.

I do not know how long a device will remain visible in the app after is has disconnected from the network.  (unlike ethernet clients which have a physical connection, WiFi clients can just stop sending packets and the router does not know if they have 'gone' or are just being quiet.  My thermostat used to 'disappear' from Attached Devices.  If I would open the Nest app, then it would appear again.)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7