Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 admin page won't load -- responds to ping but not HTTP GET

bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

RBR750 admin page won't load -- responds to ping but not HTTP GET

I have a brand new RBR750 (orbi AX4200) and can't load the admin page (192.168.1.1/orbilogin.com) to setup the router even over a wired connection after a factory reset. The router responds to pings but not HTTP GET. The orbi setup app does not find the router either. I can connect to the orbi WiFi network fine -- just can't load the admin page so can't setup internet.

I see the same behavior over a wired connection to every ethernet port on the router and over WiFi. Have tried from multiple laptops, phones, and browsers (Chrome, Chrome incognito, Safari, Firefox OS X, and Firefox Linux). I have cleared the cache in web browsers and that doesn't help. I tried downgrading the ethernet from 1 Gbps to 100 Mbps and that didn't matter.

From wireshark capture it seems the RBR750 does not get the first ACK sent from the client to the router for the TCP stream used to send HTTP GET. Client sends TCP SYN, RBR750 sends [SYN, ACK], client sends ACK and then HTTP GET, then 1 second later RBR750 sends [SYN, ACK] again (TCP dup ACK). The process of TCP RTX and dup ACK continues and RBR750 never responds to HTTP GET for the admin page.

I assumed the issue was specific to the hardware, so returned it and got a brand new one -- same issue!

Appreciate any help how to debug and resolve this issue, otherwise I'll try to return it.
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 admin page won't load -- responds to ping but not HTTP GET

It might be worth taking a few minutes to attempt setting up the Orbi without any connection to the WAN port.

(yes, no cable to the ISP device).  An Orbi will function perfectly well with no internet connection.  (it cannot reach the internet, but the WiFi and LAN operation will be just fine.)

There is a chance that the Orbi is not actually at 192.168.1.1  "something" may be there, but perhaps not the Orbi.  For example, if the Orbi is connected to an ISP router that takes 192.168.1.1 for itself, the Orbi will switch to 10.0.0.1.

With a computer connected to an Orbi LAN port, what is the gateway address that the computer gets via DHCP?

Message 2 of 12
bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried without anything connected to the WAN port but that doesn't seem to matter (direct ethernet connection from laptop to router with no other connections on the laptop or the router). The router always assigns connected devices an IPv4 from 192.168.1.0/24 with gateway 192.168.1.1 (e.g. 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3). Pings from the laptop to 192.168.1.1 start flowing a minute or two after the router boots up, and stop immediately if the router is unplugged. Can't ping 10.0.0.1 and web page does not load. So I think the orbi is indeed using 192.168.1.1.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for humoring me. I agree with your conclusion. The Orbi router is at 192.168.1.1.

I can think of no explanation for why two RBR750 routers should both behave this way. There are a lot of complaints about the 750 product, but this situation is totally new.  Before it goes back, I can think of one more experiment:  Unless the ISP requires a user name and password to get access, Orbi routers are like typical ISP products. They will function without any setup at all.

i.e. They broadcast the WiFi SSID listed on the product label (bottom) and accept the password on the label. WiFi devices and wired devices get internet access and "off we go."

Do devices connected to this Orbi have internet?

Message 4 of 12
bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interestingly, when the orbi is connected to the internet (over WAN port), devices attached to the LAN ports (or orbi WiFi) can ping out to public IP addresses, but nothing else works. Web pages won't load. Curl commands fail. Maybe it's dropping or not handling a certain type of traffic correctly, like TCP? In any case, the router still isn't usable.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 6 of 12
bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to determine the firmware version without access to the admin page or orbi app? Maybe through a console port or something? Otherwise I don't think it's possible to determine the firmware version.

The issue is not related to my ISP modem, since it was the same behavior before connecting the orbi to the ISP modem. But for reference it's an Arris BGW210.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You may need to disconnet the RBR fron the ISP Modem and factory reset the RBR and set it up from scratch with out it being connected to the ISP Modem first. You should be able to access 192.168.1.1 on the RBR using a web browser and wired PC connected. 

Message 8 of 12
bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your last sentence "You should be able to access 192.168.1.1 on the RBR using a web browser and wired PC connected." captures the problem -- I am unable to access 192.168.1.1 on the RBR even after a factory reset and wired PC connection.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

And you reset the RBR by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release and with the RBR not connected to the ISP modem? 

Message 10 of 12
bpd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I've reset it by holding down reset for 10-15 seconds and confirming the light starts flashing without a connection to the ISP router.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How long are you waiting after the reset before attempting to connect to 192.168.1.1? I presume if your waiting for 1 minute or longer and you can't get to the RBRs web page at all, i'd make contact with NG support and see what your options are. Ask about RMA options.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7