Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 directly to FIOS ONT 100M link speed

Adrock
Aspirant

RBR750 directly to FIOS ONT 100M link speed

I have gigabit FIOS and have been running the verizon router connected to the ONT (via ethernet) then the FIOS router to the ORBI. They recently have started charging me for renting the fios router so I am looking to remove that from the setup as they wired ethernet from the ONT (CAT 5e). I am able to plug in my ethernet from the ONT and get internet but the link speed is set at 100M. Is there a setting I am missing? When I plug it back into the FIOS router then I get the full gig speed (and thus my full internet speed). Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 directly to FIOS ONT 100M link speed

Something on the ONT or cable side is not auto negotiating the 1000Mpbs connection properly. 

Orbi auto detects connection rates, nothing to change on the RBR. If the RBR is getting 1000Mpbs when the ISP router is connected and not when direct to the ONT, something to take a look on the ONT and cabling. CAT6 is recommended between the ONT and RBR. 

Might power OFF the ONT and RBR while changing cables then power on the ONT and RBR see if anything changes. 

Contact the ISP about this. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Adrock wrote:

they wired ethernet from the ONT (CAT 5e).

Could you please describe more about the physical placement of things.

I have an impression that the ONT is perhaps outside the house. AT&T ran a cable from the ONT to the desired location inside where they placed their FIOS router.  When you are swapping FIOS for Orbi, it is at the inside location (using the same Cat5e cable to the ONT)?

Did AT&T run a cable and terminate it with an RJ45 plug, or did they terminate it on an RJ45 jack?

Orbi is helpful in providing the Show Statistics information that indicates the "Link Speed" of each interface.

Does the FIOS router have an app that displays similar information.

Finally, when the Orbi is connected to the FIOS router, what download speeds are being recorded by the Speed Test app?

Message 3 of 7
Adrock
Aspirant

Sorry I haven't replied in a week after you were all so attentive. I didn't clarify but it is Verizon Fios and the ONT is outside. They ran a Cat5e cable into the house and it is terminated to rj45. When I plug the cable into the fios router then connect the fios router to the internet port of the ORBI i get close to gig speeds (600-900 Mb). When I take the same cable from the ONT out of the Fios router and directly into the internet port of the ORBI I get a 10th of that around 60-90 Mb. I am going to look into see what the link speed is on the Fios side but inherently if it is getting the gig speed it would theoretically have to be 1000M link. (even though it is only on cat5e). I am thinking it is along the lines of what you all have said (something is interfering from the ont to the house. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

After connecting the ONT to the RBR, did you power OFF both ONT and RBR for 1 minute then back on then check the connection status on the RBR? 

Message 5 of 7
Adrock
Aspirant

You know what I did the Orbi but not the ONT (I unplugged it but now that I think about it it has a battery backup.) I will try that next. Thank you. By the way your response time is incredibly fast. Thank you for your dedication/help to the community. Along with the other members. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, do you happen to have a 1Gb non managed LAN switch handy by chance?

Here to help were I can. 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7