Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 internet disconnections

Twomoons84
Aspirant

RBR750 internet disconnections

Ive got a 1.5 year old Mesh rbr750 running firmware V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 and I am getting random short bursts of internet outages.  During the internet outages i am seeing the solid magenta light on the main orbi router, the wifi network is reachable .  The outages last about 2-3 minutes and self resolve, during the outage the logs on the route will display the "Internet Disconnected" message.

I am using xfinity cable and when the internet is up the connection is excellent, I can get upwards of 800-900MBPS when testing the speeds from the Orbi.  I am connected via a Motorola MB8600 with docsis 3.1. 

I haven't altered many settings on the orbi other than I recently swapped the included Cat 5e cable with a Cat 6 cable from the mode to the router.  I WFH and these outages are very disruptive to my workday as I frequently get disconnected when on calls with customers.  Any help here would be appreciated!  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 internet disconnections

Front LED indications means there is a problem at the modem or between the modem and RBR:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 9
Phyber
Luminary

I have the exact same setup: Xfininty, Motorola MB8600 modem, and the Orbi RBR753s system (750 router, two satellites). Firmware 4.6.14.3. Speeds average around 900 via the router. No issues. The satellites upstairs are hard wired via solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCA/CCS) and the router is connected via a good quality CAT-6 ethernet patch cable. Pretty much default settings.

Have you Reset the router and/or the modem?

Message 3 of 9
Twomoons84
Aspirant

I have had the ISP replace all cables from the power poll to the wiring inside of the house.  They have checked that the modem has been provisioned properly.  I have a cat 6 in place between router and modem.  There are no signal splitters , filters or attenuators on the cable line into the house. 

I have followed the steps for powering off all devices, both modem and router.  I have reset both the modem and router to default firmware (then upgraded the router and modem firmware).  My home is 1500 sq ft , but the satellites cover the entire lot which is around 9000 sq ft.  All satellites are placed at least 30 ft from one another

Where exactly are the DHCP settings you are referring to in the router ?  It looks like there are a couple of spots in the router setup where I can specify DHCP addresses.  

Im really at a loss here and growing increasingly frustrated,  willing to try anything at this point. I am highly technical and can provide additional information or perform advanced troubleshooting steps as needed. 

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So the home is 1500sq feet in size however you say entire lot is 9000sq ft? Doesn't make sense here. 

If your home, just the home is 1500 sq ft, then you really only need the RBR and maybe 1 RBS. The 2nd RBS would be a bit too much.

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

This system is only for inside home user and just some outside of the home coverage. Not meant to cover larger areas outside of the home. 

Advanced Tab/LAN Setup. 

Also enable SIP ALG as well under WAN setup. 

Message 5 of 9
Twomoons84
Aspirant

We have devices outside that need internet access , the extra satellites help to cover that area.  Additionally I need good coverage in the garage. Actual coverage area is likely over 4000 sq ft. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the RBR is showing PINK when this happens, can you look at the RBRs web page and check both BASIC tab for Internet status and the Advanced Home page for Internet section. Looking for status on the basic page and on the advanced tab under Internet section is there a WAN IP address displayed here or is this section empty? If the Basic tab says WAITING or BAD something at the ISP modem is not feeding the RBR correctly. 

Have the ISP review any modem logs during this time frame on when this happens to see if there is any thing they can spot. 

Might try a different ISP modem. 

Message 7 of 9
Twomoons84
Aspirant

After much further investigation I believe that this issue is not a problem with the ORBI but rather the modem firmware for Motorola's MB8611 modems and specifically xfinity internet.  You can see loads of people on the xfinity forums stating that they have this same issue

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/mb8611-firmware/63886b8a39eb3658cfbb7083?...

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7