Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 major issues after FW 4.6.3.7

amynpenguin
Tutor

RBR750 major issues after FW 4.6.3.7

Hoping someone can help here – I’ve already spent two hours on the phone with support to no avail. We have had the Orbi RBR750 router/2 satellite system for almost a year and experienced only very minor issues. After the latest firmware upgrade, however, the Router will not stay connected and devices fall on/off intermittently. We have not changed any other equipment or service, and our ISP is operating completely fine. We can connect both wired and wirelessly to the ISP modem/router. We’ve performed a factory reset and it worked for a few hours but then back to the dreaded magenta light. The ONLY thing that changed was the latest FW upgrade so I know the issue has to be connected to that. Has anyone figured out a fix as I’ve browsed a few other topics and it seems to be somewhat widespread issues?? So frustrating to say the least and I’ve been pretty disappointed with the tech-support I pay for from Netgear (will handle that with them separately).
Message 1 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything in here of use? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/td-p/21156...

Do both wired and wireless stop working? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? IF your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 43
5STRIPER
Tutor

Pretty much the same deal. Got back from vacation to discover the solid magenta light, failure to obtain IP address problem. Saw reports of the firmware update and similar trouble. Factory reset didn't work for me at all. Three months free tech support (am absurdly short time) ended mid June. Absurd that I'd be directed to a premium support subscription when a firmware update bricked my device.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything in here of use? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/td-p/21156...

Do both wired and wireless stop working? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? IF your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 43
5STRIPER
Tutor

I scanned that thread and found nothing of help. Wired and wireless stopped working. I can't access my router, via Orbi app or web login, so can't verify channels. After factory reset I see in the Orbi app either "Orbi product not found" or "issues connecting with," with note to try disconnecting from mobile data, then try again. Doesn't work.

Modem is a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200, <Serial number removed>.

Message 5 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Set up the RBR from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. 

Also un-install Orbi app and re-install it...

Do not post SN or MAC addresses in public forums. 

@5STRIPER wrote:
I scanned that thread and found nothing of help. Wired and wireless stopped working. I can't access my router, via Orbi app or web login, so can't verify channels. After factory reset I see in the Orbi app either "Orbi product not found" or "issues connecting with," with note to try disconnecting from mobile data, then try again. Doesn't work.

Modem is a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200, <Serial number Removed>

Message 6 of 43
amynpenguin
Tutor

Honestly this reads like Greek to me, way above my knowledge/skills. While you say the double NAT isn't recommended, we've been using the system as is for almost a year with no issues. The issues were introduced with the latest firmware upgrade. I can try some of the troubleshooting you provided, but as far as I know I am not able to change settings on my ISP-provided modem/router. 

Message 7 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

it may run for while in that configuration however some changing in FW can make a different to bring out problems in that kind of configuration. So though it did work, the configuration is not ideal or optimal. Thus the 3 options are recommended for users that have a modem/router combo unit. 

Message 8 of 43
5STRIPER
Tutor

Oops. Who can edit out the SN or delete the whole comment? Will try what you recommend as Ethernet connection directly from modem to PC does work. Thanks.
Message 9 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll have a forum moderator delete the SN. Smiley Wink

@5STRIPER wrote:
Oops. Who can edit out the SN or delete the whole comment? Will try what you recommend as Ethernet connection directly from modem to PC does work. Thanks.

Message 10 of 43
amynpenguin
Tutor

Looks like I can try the bridge with my Xfinity modem -- going to attempt that, fingers crossed...

Message 11 of 43
ChristineT
Admin

Hello Orbi Community,

@5STRIPER , @amynpenguin 

Thank you @FURRYe38 for escalating this thread!

We are looking into these reports! In order to help our Engineering team try to replicate this issue in-house please send @ChristineT@Blanca_O or @Christian_R a private message with the following information:

• Contact info (Name, Phone #, Email address)
  • Serial number
  • Internet Service Provider (ISP)
  • Front end modem
  • WAN configuration (DHCP/Static/PPTP any VLAN on internet side)

We look forward to your feedback so we can get this issue quickly resolved.

Best,

ChristineT

Message 12 of 43
Kristopher
Star

This just happened to me too - one of my Orbi RBS 750 bricked after an update to 4.6.3.7. The router and other satellite updated fine, the second satellite just choked and died. It no longer broadcasts my wifi network name like the other two still do and instead has network names of "Guest" "Backhaul" and "whc-12345". It also no longer shows up as Netgear branded in Wifi Explorer - it now is Atheros Communications or something like that.

I've reset it 20 times, rebooted it 20 times, ethernet-ed it to the router, tried to TFTP the firmware to it (that was hairy), and generally done everything a pro-sumer customer like me would do. Still no luck to get it back to my network name, connect to my network, or even get the factory ORBIxx network.

Given this was my third Orbi system, which have all worked pretty well (SRR for office, RBK50 for prior home, and now RBK 753 for current home), I thought I would call the support line. Three hours, two disconnected calls, and four operators later I have the replacement ordered. But have to pay the 20 shipping!

Moral of the story - dont use this firmware yet and prepare to pay shipping if you were sold a lemon.

Message 13 of 43
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kristopher

Please check your inbox. I have sent you a message requesting for more information.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 43
Kristopher
Star

@Blanca_O ,

Thank you for reaching out - I appreciate it.

Kris

Message 15 of 43
amynpenguin
Tutor

Coming in to say I am still stuck with a system that is not working. While the case has been escalated I have to say I am very frustrated with the response. I've been asked to pull debug logs and send them (only to find you can't attach them to messages to the support person or email them directly because netgear's firewall strips out the attachments so I had to upload the debug logs to Dropbox). I mean, come on, I have to use how many 3rd party systems to get you the information about your system?! Also I was told nothing was found in my debug logs that was of concern and to run them again when the system wasn't working. Well, newsflash -- IT PRETTY MUCH NEVER WORKS. As I type this right now my app says the system is connected but the router has the magenta light and no devices in the home can connect. Why is it "online" in the app? See photos. Our ISP is working just fine. I would really appreciate it if someone would CALL ME to walk through this live-- I can't believe it has been a week and that has not been offered. IMG_1273.jpgIMG_1272.PNG

Message 16 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Please provide feedback and answers to the question presented to you in my first responce to you. Would be helpful to know what you have which might give us more information to help you. If not, please keep in contact with NG support.

Thank you.

Message 17 of 43
kernel528
Tutor

Just wanted to add to this thread I ran into the same issues.  I have an RBR750 with two RBS750 satellites.  I updated to the v4.6.3.7 f/w after being notified by the Orbi app.  Having all sorts of issues ever since.  Spent 3 hours on 4 different support calls, talking to 4 different engineers (one disconnet and no call back as was told would happen if disconnected).  Router and satellites updated fine at first, but within a few hours one of the RBS750 dropped off and would not connect back to the mesh network.  Multiple factory reset attempts prior to support call, and then several more with different engineers did not solve.  Getting a replacement RBS750, paying for the shipping.  Was told since was my first call would get support...even though I had paid for premium h/w support through 6/2022...in any event, the f/w caused the issue...it took effort, but netgear support setup an RMA.  Waiting for shipping confirmation at this point...had to provide proof of purchase (even though bought through netgear.com) and picture of tag with s/n, mac, etc.  Performance is horrible since upgrade...multiple devices have much higher latency, my 1Gb down/25Mb up is performing at ~50% of pre-upgrade.  From ~900Mbps to max so far of 590Mbps.  Afraid to perform any reboot or power cycle for fear it will just stop working...hoping an updated f/w is soon to come to fix these issues...so many reports of other users with Orbi 7xx series with similar issues.  I wish I had searched here before proceeding with upgrade.  If this does not improve soon, I will be switching to a different product...too many issues.

Message 18 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Intead of updating via Orbi app, try updating manually with a wired PC and web browser and manualy re-loading FW on the RBS then RBR then factory reset and setup from scratch.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try reverting back to v3 FW? 

@kernel528 wrote:

Just wanted to add to this thread I ran into the same issues.  I have an RBR750 with two RBS750 satellites.  I updated to the v4.6.3.7 f/w after being notified by the Orbi app.  Having all sorts of issues ever since.  Spent 3 hours on 4 different support calls, talking to 4 different engineers (one disconnet and no call back as was told would happen if disconnected).  Router and satellites updated fine at first, but within a few hours one of the RBS750 dropped off and would not connect back to the mesh network.  Multiple factory reset attempts prior to support call, and then several more with different engineers did not solve.  Getting a replacement RBS750, paying for the shipping.  Was told since was my first call would get support...even though I had paid for premium h/w support through 6/2022...in any event, the f/w caused the issue...it took effort, but netgear support setup an RMA.  Waiting for shipping confirmation at this point...had to provide proof of purchase (even though bought through netgear.com) and picture of tag with s/n, mac, etc.  Performance is horrible since upgrade...multiple devices have much higher latency, my 1Gb down/25Mb up is performing at ~50% of pre-upgrade.  From ~900Mbps to max so far of 590Mbps.  Afraid to perform any reboot or power cycle for fear it will just stop working...hoping an updated f/w is soon to come to fix these issues...so many reports of other users with Orbi 7xx series with similar issues.  I wish I had searched here before proceeding with upgrade.  If this does not improve soon, I will be switching to a different product...too many issues.

Message 19 of 43
kernel528
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Intead of updating via Orbi app, try updating manually with a wired PC and web browser and manualy re-loading FW on the RBS then RBR then factory reset and setup from scratch.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try reverting back to v3 FW? 

@kernel528 wrote:

Although I appreciate the intent of helping by gathering more data on different user configurations, and I can understand why you'd ask for such information and attempt to guide to other options for installing the f/w updates...Obviously, my ISP modem, physical locations of where I placed my router and satellites, nor the size or physical makeup of my house have changed. It was working "fine" before the f/w update.  However, for reference...

• ISP Modem Make/Model:   Hitron CODA-45
  • Home Sq Ft:  ~3000 (3 levels)  Router placed in basement level in home/office, satellite on each floor above.  Router --> 1st satellite ~20 feet through floor/celing, router --> 2nd satellite ~30 feet (through 2 floors).  
    • I am, and have been, following the large multistory home layout.
    • When the stalellites did/do sync, a solid blue light in front is displayed, indicating a good wireless connection.  Same reported in the UI.  

As mentioned, performance is demonstrably worse.   Not only the speed test from the router to the ISP, but from my several Mac, iPhone and linux clients...consistently higher wifi latency than before, lower throughput, higher rate of jitter and dropped packets.  From multiple clients.  All the same clients as before.  The variable is the f/w update.  

My confidence is low, and if I need to reset everything to resolve the results of this poor f/w update, I will simply move to another vendor, or go back to Synology or Asus where the experience, although not perfect, was better than this experience with Netgear.  I've had this Orbi setup since June of 2020, with ocassional issues, but was hoping to see improvement with future f/w releases. 

This is a major step backwards.  

Message 20 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

@kernel528 wrote:

Although I appreciate the intent of helping by gathering more data on different user configurations, and I can understand why you'd ask for such information and attempt to guide to other options for installing the f/w updates...Obviously, my ISP modem, physical locations of where I placed my router and satellites, nor the size or physical makeup of my house have changed. It was working "fine" before the f/w update.  However, for reference...

• Home Sq Ft:  ~3000 (3 levels)  Router placed in basement level in home/office, satellite on each floor above.  Router --> 1st satellite ~20 feet through floor/celing, router --> 2nd satellite ~30 feet (through 2 floors).  BASEMENTS are not recommended places for any wifi router system. All that concrete and steel will cause problems and be problematic. Distance between the RBR and RBS is too close as well. 
    • When the stalellites did/do sync, a solid blue light in front is displayed, indicating a good wireless connection.  Same reported in the UI.  

As mentioned, performance is demonstrably worse.   Not only the speed test from the router to the ISP, but from my several Mac, iPhone and linux clients...consistently higher wifi latency than before, lower throughput, higher rate of jitter and dropped packets.  From multiple clients.  All the same clients as before.  The variable is the f/w update.  Have you tried changing the CTS values to 2347 from 64? Also changing channels to a manual is recommended as well. 

My confidence is low, and if I need to reset everything to resolve the results of this poor f/w update, I will simply move to another vendor, or go back to Synology or Asus where the experience, although not perfect, was better than this experience with Netgear.  I've had this Orbi setup since June of 2020, with ocassional issues, but was hoping to see improvement with future f/w releases. 

Factory resets are a standard troubleshooting step. Been know to resolve problems seen, even after FW updates. 

Up to you though. I recommend if you don't at least try, do contact NG support and let them know about what your having prolems with.

Good Luck

Message 21 of 43
kernel528
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@kernel528 wrote:

• Home Sq Ft:  ~3000 (3 levels)  Router placed in basement level in home/office, satellite on each floor above.  Router --> 1st satellite ~20 feet through floor/celing, router --> 2nd satellite ~30 feet (through 2 floors).  BASEMENTS are not recommended places for any wifi router system. All that concrete and steel will cause problems and be problematic. Distance between the RBR and RBS is too close as well. 

As mentioned, performance is demonstrably worse.   Not only the speed test from the router to the ISP, but from my several Mac, iPhone and linux clients...consistently higher wifi latency than before, lower throughput, higher rate of jitter and dropped packets.  From multiple clients.  All the same clients as before.  The variable is the f/w update.  Have you tried changing the CTS values to 2347 from 64? Also changing channels to a manual is recommended as well. 

Factory resets are a standard troubleshooting step. Been know to resolve problems seen, even after FW updates. 

Up to you though. I recommend if you don't at least try, do contact NG support and let them know about what your having prolems with.

Good Luck

Okie Dokie.  Perhaps you missed it in my original comment, but as I mentioned, I did talk to NG support already and have attempted several factory resets, with no success. When factory resets don't unbrick a device after a f/w update, not much the customer can do.  Hence the reason Netgear is sending me a new RBS750, covered by their h/w warranty.  Also, the placement I have these is optimal for my configuration and layout.  As evidenced by having good coverage for the first13 months...only after this f/w update are there issues.  I did initially (after setup in June 2020) make some tweaks to the router configuration as the defaults were causing issues with zoom calls, and some video streaming.   Issues I didn't have with my Synology (although there were other issues with their Smart Connect feature and DHCP, but I digress)...

And the reason I have the second satellite is because of extending range from basement to second level.  Once I added that satellite, there has been smooth/consistent/performant connections.  Until this f/w upgrade.  It all comes back to the f/w upgrade.  The fact it bricked one of the satellites, a day after it was initially working is suspect to the f/w as well.  Yo usee, it didn't brick during the f/w update...it simply failed after a while...which reduces my confidence in NG, and leads me to consider a more reliable solution...I can accept ocassional outages, and some bugs...but bugs which brick their own hardware and lead to factory resets not working...  I expect to have to replace consumer wifi setups every 2-3 years, but I need more reliability than this.  Thanks for the "Good Luck" wishes...appears I will need it.  

I have not tried changing the CTS settings from default of 64.  

5Ghz is set to a manual channel.  2.4Ghz is set to auto.

Regardless, thank you for configuration suggestions and inputs.  

Message 22 of 43
Mstrbig
Master

I and 2 of my customers experienced the bricked RBS750 satellites, after firmware 4.6.3.7 auto update. After numerous factory reset attempts, direct connect attempts, nothing brings back the RBS satellites. I am able to connect via network cable and log into the satellites. However the GUI never fully populates. So I am not able to perform any tasks. The RBR750 routers are periodically losing internet connectivity and pulsing white light comes on, then reconnects. I've ruled out the ISP modems, cabling, devices, etc., and concluded the fault lies with the most recent 4.6.3.7 firmware. I never auto update firmware on any device, and alway download the latest firmware and perform a manual install. This was very unusual that the update was performed automatically. 

Message 23 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd keep in contact with NG support about this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-RBS750-Satellite-continuous-pulsating-white-light/td-p...

@Mstrbig wrote:

I and 2 of my customers experienced the bricked RBS750 satellites, after firmware 4.6.3.7 auto update. After numerous factory reset attempts, direct connect attempts, nothing brings back the RBS satellites. I am able to connect via network cable and log into the satellites. However the GUI never fully populates. So I am not able to perform any tasks. The RBR750 routers are periodically losing internet connectivity and pulsing white light comes on, then reconnects. I've ruled out the ISP modems, cabling, devices, etc., and concluded the fault lies with the most recent 4.6.3.7 firmware. I never auto update firmware on any device, and alway download the latest firmware and perform a manual install. This was very unusual that the update was performed automatically. 

Message 24 of 43
MeowWifi
Aspirant

I have the same issues with my RBR752, that I think I've narrowed down to the FW also. It was stable for a long time, and then it just started having issues. Reading your post makes me feel better, I was starting to think I was going crazy.

It's been stable for months, but now I have the issue where my Satellite constantly disconnects.   Trying to figure out the issue, I actually factory reset the router. And when doing so it actually broke the wifi. The router believed it was sending out an SSID, but in reality there was no signal.  I ended up RMAing it. I got the new one, but the satellite is still borked.

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7