Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 slow wireless when connected to router - satellites fast

mnicols74
Aspirant

RBR750 slow wireless when connected to router - satellites fast

I have the following strange situation with my Netgear RBK750 mesh system:

• I have FiOS (1 Gbps down/1 Gbps down) and have an RBR750 with two satellites.
  • I have the Orbi system running in AP mode.
  • I have shut off the Wireless on the FiOS router.
  • If I plug a device into the Orbi router, I get full 1 Gb internet speed up and down.
  • If I connect wireless to the Orbi router, just a few feet away, I only get 90 mbps up and down.
  • If I enable the fios wireless, I get speeds of 450 mbps up and down with the same device that I only get 90 up and down when connected to the Orbi.
  • I have connected the Orbi satellites - when I connect my devices to the satellites via the Orbi wireless SSID I get excellent speeds such as 450 mbps up and down.

I am struggling to understand why when I wireless connect to the main router, my speeds degrade, but when connected to the satellites my speeds are great.

I have made sure I have the latest firmware, have rebooted several times, and made sure there is no other wireless interference.

Has anyone seen this before and any ideas on what to try to resolve?
Message 1 of 5
mnicols74
Aspirant

Re: RBR750 slow wireless when connected to router - satellites fast

Thanks, Nicole...

When I connect to one of the Satellites it uses the same DHCP as when I connect to the Orbi RBR750 or when I hard wire into it so I don't see how DHCP would affect the speed.

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@mnicols74 wrote:
  • If I plug a device into the Orbi router, I get full 1 Gb internet speed up and down.
  • If I connect wireless to the Orbi router, just a few feet away, I only get 90 mbps up and down.
  • I have connected the Orbi satellites - when I connect my devices to the satellites via the Orbi wireless SSID I get excellent speeds such as 450 mbps up and down.

OK, so there is something problematic with your device's wireless connection to the Orbi router, but not the Orbi satellite.  Very strange.  Please give us more detail on how you are running this test:

• What is the device that you're testing with, e.g., an iPhone?  Is this connected by 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?
  • How are you measuring the speed, e.g., the speedtest phone app?
  • Have you tried with a second device and are the results the same?
  • Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if it affects the results (don't use Auto)?
  • How is your wireless security configured, e.g., WPA2-PSK?
  • What wireless settings have you changed from the Orbi defaults, e.g., WMM / Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence / CTS/RTS Threshold / Preamble Mode
Message 3 of 5
mnicols74
Aspirant

Mikey94025,

Thanks for taking the time to take a look...answers below in italics.

• What is the device that you're testing with, e.g., an iPhone?  Is this connected by 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?

Have tested with multiple iphones on 5 ghz and multiple Windows laptops running Win 10 and Win 11.

• How are you measuring the speed, e.g., the speedtest phone app?

Ookla speedtest on the smartphones and laptop. Have also tested using other bandwidth test applications as well.

• Have you tried with a second device and are the results the same?

Results are the same with the different iphones and windows laptops.

• Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if it affects the results (don't use Auto)?

I have - still remains the same.

• How is your wireless security configured, e.g., WPA2-PSK?

Yes. WPA2-PSK.

• What wireless settings have you changed from the Orbi defaults, e.g., WMM / Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence / CTS/RTS Threshold / Preamble Mode

Initially I did not change any defaults. I compared everything to another Orbi Setup (RBR50) at my brother's home which doesn't have the problem and the only different was CTS/RTS. With the setup having the issue it was 64, at the other location it was 2347 so I switched it to that but no difference.

Message 4 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

You seem to have tried everything correctly.  I can't think of anything that would explain why your RBR wireless is slow but RBS wireless is fast.

When the RBR wireless connection is slow, what does the Windows wireless properties say about the link speed?  That might be a clue for us.  Press the Win key, search for "network connections", select View Network Connections, right-click on your Wireless adapter and select Status.  Mine says 919.0 Mbps and I'm curious what yours says when you are observing only ~90 Mbps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7