Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 unable to assign IP addresses after reboot

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Yep. Never can tell what those spurious electrons will do! 😂

I will try enabling SIP ALG and see if there is any change. I already limit my DHCP pool to only 50 devices. I use XXX.XXX.X.1 thru .50. Never had an issue with DHCP assignments on either my original ORBI 50 or the current ORBI 750 using that scheme.

I also use IP reservations for every one of my 42 devices. It is my OCD showing through but I find it way easier to troubleshoot device connection issues if I do this. It also allows me to immediately notice if a "new" device has connected to my WiFi. (BTW, I do not use static IP addresses on the device side. It is very difficult/not possible on some devices to set this up.) While I cannot prove it, I believe folks having issues with DHCP assignments are overdriving their systems with too many devices. With 42 devices, I'm probably bumping up against the limit sometimes. When my current 750 gives up, I'll upgrade to the larger capacity 800 or 900 series.

Message 51 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your system IS now working well and your not seeing any IP address assignment issues. Be sure to save off a new back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Ya seeing problems in other NG router models and sometimes here on Orbi, wondering if there is a problem with using the wider IP address pool size. Been thinking there maybe some underlying issues with this kind of default configuration. Since I've been using the smaller pool size for years, I've not seen these issues to date or any oddities in this area. I may bring this up with NG and see what could be done. We know there are some other underlying issues at hand that need to be fixed. These could be causing extra problems as well. 

I use this as a kind of a general rule for STATIC assigned devices, items that don't need much or any router management, devices that need some access but can be set and left alone and not accessed but occasionally, and devices that do have management pages that support input of static IP addresses. Devices like Printers, NAS, Cameras are some devices that don't need much and generally can be configured for Static IPs. I have 3 printers, 2 NAS and 3 cameras, all set for statics. Anytime I change out the home network router, I just make sure the incoming router has same network configuration and onces it's online, the static devices are automatically connected at there known IPs. No need for worry about them. 

Message 52 of 62
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au @rayjai @tucsontico 

Are any of you still seeing this issue with current versions of FW? 

I'm not using the Orbis right now.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen this on all current firmware, including 4.6.9.11.

Message 53 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using default DHCP IP address pool range? 

What happens if you change that to .100 to .200 next time you use Orbi? 

@raven_au wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I've seen this on all current firmware, including 4.6.9.11.

Message 54 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW is available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

@rayjai wrote:

This did not work, Rebooted the router and it happened again.

Message 55 of 62
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

I use .80 to .249 for the DHCP range.

Message 56 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you seen this problem continue with the new FW? 

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

Message 57 of 62
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you seen this problem continue with the new FW? 

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

I'm not using the Orbi right now.

I may put them back into use and check if v4.6.14.3 helps.

That version wasn't showing on the Netgear site when I posted the above.

Message 58 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, let us know the results when you can. 
Thank you for your time. 

@raven_au wrote:

I'm not using the Orbi right now.

I may put them back into use and check if v4.6.14.3 helps.

That version wasn't showing on the Netgear site when I posted the above.

Message 59 of 62
rayjai
Guide

I updated to V4.6.14.3 and it still doesn't work.

I had to restart my router today to move some things around and now nothing is connecting on wifi again.

I enabled SIP ALG and have set my range from 2 to 249.

I can't limit to 50 pool size for devices because I live in a multi family and we have about 125+ devices, not counting visitors.

Message 60 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set the pool size to .50 to .200? 

I would make contact with NG support and let them know about this. Possible having that many devices on line is causing problems or seeing a bug. Most of us out here don't have that many. Something NG should look into.

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 61 of 62
rayjai
Guide

I took the time and set all my IOT devices to the guest network. So far no more issues in rebooting.

Message 62 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7