Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 updated to new firmware, RBS750 not auto-updating. Unable to manually log into satellite

neknek
Star

RBR750 updated to new firmware, RBS750 not auto-updating. Unable to manually log into satellites.

Hey all, my RBR750 updated to V4.6.8.5_2.1.9 but the satellites are still at V4.6.8.2 and refuse to update on their own.  I can't log into them to do a manual update as the admin/password combo fails.  I have tried to change the RBR750 password through the web page but it refuses, telling me my admin password is wrong.  I can't force a reset of the password using my security questions either.  Any device on my network is able to log into the admin page without a password, even after 'logging out'.  So, how is one supposed to force a password reset on the system and get the satellites to respond to that new password.  PLEASE don't tell me that a full factory reset of the entire system is the right choice, as that is simply asinine and should not be Netgear's answer to everything.

At least I bought this system from Costco so  can just get my money back and go buy a real system somewhere else.  Getting so exhausted with Netgear.

Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 updated to new firmware, RBS750 not auto-updating. Unable to manually log into satellite

Is it possible to access the satellite web pages using a blank password (as on the router)?

Although it is not possible to log directly into each satellite web page (my preferred method for updating satellite firmware), what happens when using the router Firmware Update and selecting the Manual tab?

As long as it is possible to access the admin web site on the Orbi without a password, it might be a good idea to save a copy of the config before things get worse.  There is a tool that will decode the config file into plain text.

https://github.com/Fysac/orbicfg 

Sorting the text output will reveal the key information for a factory reset: the entries in the LAN Setup table.  There is one entry for each device that look like this:

reservation1=192.168.1.2 20:25:64:0F:BA:xx    Mikes HP
reservation10=192.168.1.11 E0:37:BF:AB:F5:xx  Sony Blu Ray DVD
reservation11=192.168.1.12 B8:C7:5D:52:02:xx  Teds iPod
reservation12=192.168.1.13 54:62:E2:36:94:xx  Teds iPad
reservation13=192.168.1.14 A0:18:28:B5:D3:xx  Ted iPhone
reservation14=192.168.1.15 30:AE:A4:6C:C8:xx  Simplisafe Base Unit
reservation15=192.168.1.16 DC:A2:66:28:E2:xx  Family Room TV
reservation16=192.168.1.17 DC:0E:A1:BB:6D:xx  John Acer Ethernet
reservation17=192.168.1.18 84:4B:F5:0A:DA:xx  Linux Mint WiFi
reservation18=192.168.1.19 38:78:62:07:07:xx  Bills Sony Phone
reservation19=192.168.1.27 B8:27:EB:40:F4:xx  Mark Linux Pi ether
reservation2=192.168.1.3 20:25:64:0E:1A:D2:xx Teds HP
reservation20=192.168.1.28 B8:27:EB:15:A1:xx  Bills Linux Pi WiFi

When I get truly desperate and have reached the end of my options and have to do a factory reset, I use this information to set up the device reservations before changing the WiFi SSID/password to the desired values.  This keeps my WiFi devices from connecting to the Orbi and getting random IP assignments before the system is 'ready' for them.  (Because I have been disorganized when adding devices, I usually take this occasion to enter them into the LAN Setup table in order by IP address.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Might need to downgrade the RBR back to v.2 first, then see if you can update the RBS then. 

Be sure to remember to udpate the RBS first BEFORE updating the RBR. 

@neknek wrote:

Hey all, my RBR750 updated to V4.6.8.5_2.1.9 but the satellites are still at V4.6.8.2 and refuse to update on their own.  I can't log into them to do a manual update as the admin/password combo fails.  I have tried to change the RBR750 password through the web page but it refuses, telling me my admin password is wrong.  I can't force a reset of the password using my security questions either.  Any device on my network is able to log into the admin page without a password, even after 'logging out'.  So, how is one supposed to force a password reset on the system and get the satellites to respond to that new password.  PLEASE don't tell me that a full factory reset of the entire system is the right choice, as that is simply asinine and should not be Netgear's answer to everything.

At least I bought this system from Costco so  can just get my money back and go buy a real system somewhere else.  Getting so exhausted with Netgear.

Message 3 of 14
neknek
Star

Can anyone provide a link to the FIXED V4.6.8.2 firmware for the RBR750?  I don't want to start this shambles all over again when I try to downgrade the router unit.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 14
neknek
Star

Isn't that the one that caused all the trouble?  The one that "Removes the remote management feature from the router web interface (if disabled at time of update) to improve router security."?

If I install that, and the RBS750s are still at the remotely-pushed beta fix (i.e. higher firmware), will everything update further on their own?  This is my last gasp to try to fix the Orbi issues before it goes back to Costco and I find a new manufacturer.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

NO. v.2 was not the problem. Was the Auto Update system. 

Remote Management is not longer supported on the RBRs web page. All that is being taking over by the Orbi app that has remote access. Web page UI remote management has gone away we believe for security reasons. 

NG has begun turning off Auto Updates for now. So any FW updates may not be seen or auto updated by the system. FW updates can be manually applied. Again, Update the RBS FIRST then the RBR lastly. 

Review the FW post notes for additional information regarding this. 

Message 7 of 14
neknek
Star

Remote Management is going away?  Oh no.  The Orbi app has never worked for me with any kind of regularity.  Just checked this morning and it can't connect.  The app is garbage.

Message 8 of 14
neknek
Star

Also I can't manually update the RBS750 as it won't accept ANY password that I have.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure local network is enabled for the app if this is a Apple device and WiFi Private IP address is disabled.

@neknek wrote:

Remote Management is going away?  Oh no.  The Orbi app has never worked for me with any kind of regularity.  Just checked this morning and it can't connect.  The app is garbage.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Get the RBR set up again. Then wirelessly re-sync the RBS one at a time to the RBR. Then RBS web pages should be fully accessible. 

@neknek wrote:

Also I can't manually update the RBS750 as it won't accept ANY password that I have.

Message 11 of 14
neknek
Star

Be sure local network is enabled for the app if this is a Apple device and WiFi Private IP address is disabled.

Both of those features are set properly.    It just works *sometimes*.  Maybe 3 times out of 10 when I load the app it works.  Force-quit the app, same thing.  Reboot phone, same thing.  It only connects when it decides I'm worthy.

Message 12 of 14
neknek
Star

You'll need to factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Get the RBR set up again. Then wirelessly re-sync the RBS one at a time to the RBR. Then RBS web pages should be fully accessible. 

And this is why I'm getting rid of the Orbi.  Seems like every method for fixing issues is a complete nuke and pave.  Just bonkers.

I'll return these to Costco and get three Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Pro units for the same price as this garbage.

Thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7