Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 very slow Wifi

JeffersM963
Aspirant

RBR750 very slow Wifi

I have an Orbi RBR750 and RBS750 for some time now and have never been happy with it. Spent countless hours trying to find out how to improve WiFi reception. I have a 1000mb/s Internet Line via my ISP and when I use the Orbi app to check the speed of the internet, it comes in at 960mb/s which means the RBR750 and NBN router are talking almost at top speed.

HOWEVER, when I use my iPhone11 or my laptop, or any device really (connecting at 5Ghz) to check the speed of the RBR750 Wifi from as little as 5 metres away with clear line of sight, nothing in between, I am getting 500mb/s (a drop of 50%). Only when I hold the phone up to the RBR750 a few centimeters away do I get 860mb/s (not even the full 960mb/s).

From other rooms, it is just sad. Getting 80mb/s from a room which is 9 metres away through paper thin walls, with no pictures/ornaments/furniture in the way.

As I said, I have tried all the forums radio frequencies suggestions, wifi option suggestions etc...

Don't hold out much hope, but any suggestions.

A dissappointed, long time Netgear customer.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 very slow Wifi

This situation may reflect unrealistic expectations.  A Speed Test of 500Mbps hardly qualifies for "very slow".

There are scads of articles on the web explaining realistic expectations for WiFi performance.

There is a world of difference between:

• The Link Rate negotiated between the WiFi access point and the user device.
    If the device is capable only of WiFiac, then the maximum possible Link Rate is 866 Mbps.
    If the device is capable of WiFi6 (i.e. 'ax') then the maximum possible Link Rate is 1200 Mbps.
    This Link Rate falls off quickly with difference from the router.  This is a matter of simple physics.  Five meters can make quite a difference in signal strength and thus performance.
    It is instructive to observe (on the phone) how the Link Rate changes at distances of 1m, 2m, 3m, etc.
  • Data Transfer. WiFi is inherently (even less than) half duplex.  With a wired connection, data can flow in both directions at the same time.  WiFi is "one radio talks at a time".  The router, the satellite(s), and every other WiFi device in the house must share the available bandwidth.  Achieving 50% of the theoretical bandwidth is about "par for the course".

The marketing departments of companies such as Netgear (et. al. they are not alone) dangle unrealistic promises.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.  I am so jealous of you guys with gigabit ISP connections.  It's the folks living with 50Mb DSL that are hurting.  They cannot possibly stream two 4K TV programs, while you guys can have 10 TV's streaming 4K video and still have capacity to do other things.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This situation may reflect unrealistic expectations.  A Speed Test of 500Mbps hardly qualifies for "very slow".

There are scads of articles on the web explaining realistic expectations for WiFi performance.

There is a world of difference between:

• The Link Rate negotiated between the WiFi access point and the user device.
    If the device is capable only of WiFiac, then the maximum possible Link Rate is 866 Mbps.
    If the device is capable of WiFi6 (i.e. 'ax') then the maximum possible Link Rate is 1200 Mbps.
    This Link Rate falls off quickly with difference from the router.  This is a matter of simple physics.  Five meters can make quite a difference in signal strength and thus performance.
    It is instructive to observe (on the phone) how the Link Rate changes at distances of 1m, 2m, 3m, etc.
  • Data Transfer. WiFi is inherently (even less than) half duplex.  With a wired connection, data can flow in both directions at the same time.  WiFi is "one radio talks at a time".  The router, the satellite(s), and every other WiFi device in the house must share the available bandwidth.  Achieving 50% of the theoretical bandwidth is about "par for the course".

The marketing departments of companies such as Netgear (et. al. they are not alone) dangle unrealistic promises.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.  I am so jealous of you guys with gigabit ISP connections.  It's the folks living with 50Mb DSL that are hurting.  They cannot possibly stream two 4K TV programs, while you guys can have 10 TV's streaming 4K video and still have capacity to do other things.

Message 2 of 3
JeffersM963
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

Many thanks for your very prompt and informative reply. You learn something new everyday and it makes so much sense when you see it in B&W.

I guess just like life, it is a matter of perspective. I will stop moaning about my speeds and be gratefaul for the speeds I am getting, considering others are not so fortunate.

At least now I can switch to a cheaper NBN plan as I am never going to get/or need those 1GB speeds. I guess 250/50 will do me quite well.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7