Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 won’t connect to modem

alou
Aspirant

RBR750 won’t connect to modem

Everything was working fine since I got the unit in June. I moved to a new house and the cable guy had a few hiccups getting everything to work but it eventually did. Then a day later, suddenly i get the purple light. I’ve tried unplugging the modem and router multiple times but the Orbi won’t connect. I can connect to the internet with a hard wire connection from the modem though. Also, the Orbi app can’t connect to it either. What am I doing wrong?
Message 1 of 4

Re: RBR750 won’t connect to modem

@alou wrote:

Then a day later, suddenly i get the purple light. I’ve tried unplugging the modem and router multiple times but the Orbi won’t connect. I can connect to the internet with a hard wire connection from the modem though. Also, the Orbi app can’t connect to it either. What am I doing wrong?

Which modem is this?

Remember, when starting your network the order is important:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Also, as you have moved house you probably have a different Internet account. It may help to reset the Orbi devices to forget any connection with the previous Internet service.

Message 2 of 4
alou
Aspirant

Modem is Netgear CM1100 and I tried that order of power cycling
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

make sure nothing but the router connected to the cm1100. It might have 2x ethernet ports but the majority of ISP's only provide 1 public ip address. meaning only 1 device can be connected. 

If you have a computer connected to it at the same time as the router, the computer be given the ip address and then the router doesn't get one and so can't assign private IP addresses to devices (simplified explanation)

so try @michaelkenward reboot cycle again but make sure nothing is plugged into the modem. I usually even have people disconnect the coax when everything is powered down from the start. And give it a few minutes. It shouldn't take long but I've seen some ISP's take up to 10-15 minutes to reassign the public ip address. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7