FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR760 Port Forwarding Port 4500

No. 

Message 26 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

As the first Orbi product to support WiFi6E (the 6Ghz frequency band), the 960 is clearly build around different WiFi radio chips.  The WiFi5 RBR50 and the WiFi6 RBR750 utilized the previous generation of Qualcomm chips

NAT and Port Forwarding have nothing to do with the WiFi side of the product.  The evidence appears to be building up that WiFi5, WiFi6, and WiFi6E Orbi routers support forwarding port 4500.  (Maybe someone with a WiFi7 Orbi can test forwarding port 4500 on it?)

What is different about the 760 is that rather than use 4x4 MIMO for the 5G backhaul WiFi link, Netgear "cheaped out" and used only 2x2 MIMO.  Saved a few bucks.

https://fccid.io/PY321100530/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-ver-2-5564899 

In terms of solutions to the issue of connecting devices on the internet to web servers on the LAN, purchasing another router and changing the RBR760 from router to access point (AP) mode would not be my first choice:

1. Use the OpenVPN Host built into the Orbi router (free)
  2. Forward individual ports to each of the LAN web servers (free) for example:
    1. External port 1441 to port 443 on server 1
    2. External port 1442 to port 443 on server 2
    3. External port 1443 to port 443 on server 3
  3. Implement OpenVPN Host on the Synology NAS (free)
  4. Implement Wireguard Host on the Synology NAS (free)
    https://www.blackvoid.club/wireguard-vpn-for-your-synology-nas/ 
  5. Spend $80 (plus tax) on one of those MT-2500 appliances, which also provides a VPN Client feature.

It is damned annoying that forwarding UDP port 4500 does not appear to work with the RBR760, but that solution appears to be blocked because:

• It would cost more to get a support contract with Netgear than to buy a solution, and
  • Netgear support appears to repudiate that port 4500 can be forwarded, even though we have at least three Orbi systems that are able to forward port 4500.
Message 27 of 29
abright
Aspirant

I have finally gotten round to trying a different router (one I had at home rather than buying one) and using the Orbi in AP mode.

This worked to enable me to connect to the VPN, but the Orbi says it’s not connected to the internet (even though it clearly is) and the WiFi drops out every minute or so.
I’m not sure if these two are connected or if something else is causing the WiFi to drop out.

Any advice?
Message 28 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure wifi radios are disabled on the older router.

What is the brand and model# of the older router? 

Try setting up a static IP address configuration on the RBR for AP mode:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series