Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 DHCP Options in Advanced Setup

Chuck_M
Mentor

RBR850 DHCP Options in Advanced Setup

I have recently been playing around with Pi-Hole running on a mini-pc on my LAN.  It works great with Orbi simply by replacing the DNS IP with that of the Pi-Hole server.  No more ads and faster browsing!

What I am having questions about is the DHCP Options under the ADVANCED | INTERNET SETUP.  There are two entries there (Vendor Class ID String & Client Identifier String).

I would like the Pi-Hole to handle all DHCP IP issuances instead of Orbi.   

Do I have to change the DHCP server on all network clients or is there a way to tell the Orbi that the mini-pc running Pi-Hole is the right place to do for DHCP?

Attached is a capture of the Orbi Setup with the DHCP options.  What are these for?Screenshot 2023-02-16 074612.png

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I haven't done it with pihole but usually you disable dhcp on the netgear and enable it on pihole. In theory, the devices should look for the pihole as advertised server. But with pihole its a little more user intensive so just be aware of that. 

Should be able to find disable dhcp in the orbi here: ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.

Message 2 of 4
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thanks, I will give that a shot... do you have any idea what those options above are for?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Some ISP's require option 60/61 to work with their equipment. 

Which NETGEAR routers support DHCP option 60 and 61? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7