Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

MeGrimlock
Apprentice

RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

Yesterday 3/9, starting at about 6AM EST, my Orbi system is disconnecting my Nest Cameras and Thermostat and my work laptop every 10-20 mins or so.  I have about 20 devices connected to my mesh system, and my NEST devices and my work laptop seem to be the only devices being dropped consistently, at least that i can verify right now.  I have two Xbox's running at the same time for streaming and gaming, my sons PC does not drop, phones don't drop, etc. But since yesterday, every 10 mins or so my work laptop and Nest devcies drop from the network, then reconnect after about 2-3 mins.  I have had the Orbi AX system for about 3 weeks (coming from the AC version) and my performance across my network has been stellar - until yesterday morning at 6AM EST.

I've tried soft rebooting the system, i've power cycled everything, and the issue persists.  I have not tried downgrading firmware.

My Firmware version is 3.2.10.11

Message 1 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

What generation is your NEST thermostats? I have 1 1st gen and 1 3rd gen. I did notice that my 3rd gen disconnected the other day. I had to have it reconnect...

Message 2 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

I'm having a similar issue.  It looks like there was a firmware update (v3.2.10.11) that started these issues.

Message 3 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

@cruisencode wrote:

I'm having a similar issue.  It looks like there was a firmware update (v3.2.10.11) that started these issues.

Besides my Google Nest Hub Max, my Ooma device keeps disconnecting as well.

Message 4 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

I just downgraded my FW to 3.2.9.2 so we'll see what happens...

Message 5 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

@MeGrimlock wrote:

I've read in the other threads that this doesn't help.  Keep me posted.  I was planning to troubleshoot this more when I get home from work.

Message 6 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

@cruisencode wrote:

Message 7 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

No problem.  I also opened a support ticket with NG.

Message 8 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for following up with NG support. 

Hope this will get solved soon. Smiley Wink

@cruisencode wrote:

No problem.  I also opened a support ticket with NG.

Message 9 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

@cruisencode wrote:

@MeGrimlock wrote:

I've read in the other threads that this doesn't help.  Keep me posted.  I was planning to troubleshoot this more when I get home from work.

Downgrading the FW did not work. Still having the disconnects on the same devices on V3.2.9.2

I don't know I've seen an issue like this where downgrading FW didn't at least help.

Message 11 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

Downgrading the FW did not work. Still having the disconnects on the same devices on V3.2.9.2

I don't know I've seen an issue like this where downgrading FW didn't at least help.

That's very strange.  I want to try downgrading, but I also don't want to waste my time.  I suppose I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Message 12 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable AX mode? 

And after downgrading did you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-Firmware-v3-2-10-11-seen-on-your-RBRs-FW-update-check-...

I think this worked for this user.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Ensure  WMM is enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@MeGrimlock wrote:

Message 13 of 362
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

May you check your CTS/RTS threshold under WiFi settings. If it's set to 64, may you try setting it to 2347 and update the thread with your results. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 14 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Thanks for pointing this out.  I've always remembered mine being set to 2347, but I did just check and it was set to 64.  i set it back to 2347 so I will see if that helps.  Would the latest FW have set it to 64?

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

May you check your CTS/RTS threshold under WiFi settings. If it's set to 64, may you try setting it to 2347 and update the thread with your results. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 15 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe so. I went in yesterday and set Short Preamble instead of Long as I hoped to stop my NEST contoller from disconnecting upon recommendation from another user. I remembered seeing this and didn't think anything about it since my system has been working mostly. 

Hope this might help the disconnects if this is the case. Let s know what you see after changing it. 

Message 16 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

My network has been having all sorts of very weird performance and connectivity issues recently.  It looks like this firmware update may be the culprit.  I have also been having the Nest camera disconnection problem.  I also noticed that my Pixel 2 XL Android phone had momentary WiFi interruptions early this morning while I was in bed.  I have to say I'm not very impressed with Netgear's latest and greatest so far.

Message 17 of 362
DaytonaZ33
Star

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

Thanks,

Christian 

It was set to 64. Changed to 2347 and still disconnecting. Wired AND wireless devices. 

Message 18 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

May you check your CTS/RTS threshold under WiFi settings. If it's set to 64, may you try setting it to 2347

What happens if AX mode is disabled. Re-enable after trying this. 

You may need to downgrade FW. 

@d1mmy wrote:

My network has been having all sorts of very weird performance and connectivity issues recently.  It looks like this firmware update may be the culprit.  I have also been having the Nest camera disconnection problem.  I also noticed that my Pixel 2 XL Android phone had momentary WiFi interruptions early this morning while I was in bed.  I have to say I'm not very impressed with Netgear's latest and greatest so far.

Message 19 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Still Disconnecting same devices with 2347 CTS/RTS

@MeGrimlock wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out.  I've always remembered mine being set to 2347, but I did just check and it was set to 64.  i set it back to 2347 so I will see if that helps.  Would the latest FW have set it to 64?

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 20 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

I'm also having issues on my wired connection with intermittent outages.  See my "upload" on my most recent speed test.  This was done on a desktop wired via Ethernet directly to my RBR850: https://imgur.com/I2bW57Mhttps://imgur.com/I2bW57M  I'm not sure whether this is my internet connection, router(s), or both.  I'm going to look into rolling back the firmware when I get a chance.

Message 21 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

I would revert back to v3.2.9.2. Manually load the RBR then factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Not sure if the RBS needs to be downgraded as well. Up to you to try. Seem like the RBR is effected by the recent FW rather then the RBS is. 

@MeGrimlock wrote:

Still Disconnecting same devices with 2347 CTS/RTS

@MeGrimlock wrote:

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Orbi AX Community, 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 22 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you factory reset the RBR and power OFF the ISP modem for 3 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR? 

@d1mmy wrote:

I'm also having issues on my wired connection with intermittent outages.  See my "upload" on my most recent speed test.  This was done on a desktop wired via Ethernet directly to my RBR850: https://imgur.com/I2bW57Mhttps://imgur.com/I2bW57M  I'm not sure whether this is my internet connection, router(s), or both.  I'm going to look into rolling back the firmware when I get a chance.

Message 23 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

I have Spectrum (formerly TWC) internet in the LA area.  I'm connected through an Arris SB8200.  The only thing I've done today so far has been to reboot the RBR850.  Unfortunately, having my internet working consistently has become more important this week as my current client has essentially closed their offices and asked everyone to work from home indefinitely.  I'll update this thread once I've been able to downgrade and reset my satellite and router.

Message 24 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure your modem is stand alone. Your good. 

Let us know about the downgrade. Please factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

Ensure that the CTS values are at 2347. I think they should be. 

@d1mmy wrote:

I have Spectrum (formerly TWC) internet in the LA area.  I'm connected through an Arris SB8200.  The only thing I've done today so far has been to reboot the RBR850.  Unfortunately, having my internet working consistently has become more important this week as my current client has essentially closed their offices and asked everyone to work from home indefinitely.  I'll update this thread once I've been able to downgrade and reset my satellite and router.

Message 25 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7