Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 3.2.15.32 - Hot Fix-Firmware Update

dtay
Luminary

Re: RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 3.2.15.32 - Hot Fix-Firmware Update

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Somenthing that i'm posting to let users know that NG now recommends using the default CTS value of 64 on Orbi AX. I was informed by NG that orbi AX that there are settings and or drivers in the FW that are effected by any CTS changes and they feel that 2347 may cause problems for some. I can attest to this as my 3rd gen NEST would not keep connected to Orbi AX if I set the CTS value to 2347 which does work on other AC model routers. After changing back to 64, the NEST has been connected with out any problems. Over all my Orbi AX on v32 has been up and online and stable with the default CTS value. 

So seems the Orbi AX maybe different from all the others in regards to CTS value and usage so even though 2347 works for most other system, Orbi AX seems to be the odd one out for this setting.

I recommend that users first try the default CTS value. If you run into problems first try a factory reset if one hasn't been performed. You can try 2347 and use it if seems to help. Though I would suggest that users having problems with CTS value of 64 please report your problem to NG and let them know so they can review and make changes if they can. 

Hope this helps. 

I was a value of 500 which seemed to be working fine but then noticed I couldn't get the kids' school supplied Chromebooks (Lenovo) to connect to the Wi-Fi.  A quick search yielded this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Chromebooks-refuse-to-join-Orbi-WiFi-6-network-AX6000/m-p/1...

When I changed my CTS value from 500 to 2347, the Chromebooks were able to connect fine, so I left it at 2347.

So what now?  Do I change it to 64 because NG says it's the optimal setting for AX?

Message 26 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

So do the chrome books not connect with CTS set to 64? 

Something to let NG know if about they don't. 

@dtay wrote:

I was a value of 500 which seemed to be working fine but then noticed I couldn't get the kids' school supplied Chromebooks (Lenovo) to connect to the Wi-Fi.  A quick search yielded this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Chromebooks-refuse-to-join-Orbi-WiFi-6-network-AX6000/m-p/1...

When I changed my CTS value from 500 to 2347, the Chromebooks were able to connect fine, so I left it at 2347.

So what now?  Do I change it to 64 because NG says it's the optimal setting for AX?

Message 27 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

One other item I noticed last nite, my 1st gen nest disconnected after setting the RBR to 40Mhz only channel width. I set it back to 20/40Mhz and were back to connected. Something else to keep in mind as a troubleshooting step. 

Message 28 of 36
dtay
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@dtay wrote:

Haven't tried 64 yet to see if it works with the Chromebooks.  Will test that once I have the opportunity to schedule an outage with the household. 🙂

Message 29 of 36
the5rivers
Tutor

I have v32 on my 753s, and I have CTS set to 2347, and everything works fine, including my Nest thermostat. I have never tried the default value. Also have 20/40 MHz disabled. 

Just another data point. Thanks. 

Message 30 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What generation is your NEST controller(s)? 

I have 1 1st and 1 3rd gen. 3rd gen seems to not like 2347 and the 1st gen doesn't like 40Mhz only. Crazy I know. 

Someting to try and see if you notice anything if you set 64 for CTS. IF you do, take notes then change back. 

@the5rivers wrote:

I have v32 on my 753s, and I have CTS set to 2347, and everything works fine, including my Nest thermostat. I have never tried the default value. Also have 20/40 MHz disabled. 

Just another data point. Thanks. 

Message 31 of 36
the5rivers
Tutor

Hi. I have a 3rd Gen Nest, and I have had zero problems with it on 2347. I never tried it on 64, but curious to know what the benefits would be if its running fine as it is. 

Also had the same CTS setting on my RBK53, with no issues. 

Message 32 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know 2347 works fine on my RBK50 as well. Zero issues with Orbi AC. Not sure why Orbi AX is so different. NG says there are complex settings in the FW that are intricate. They recommended using the default 64. So far with my 1st and 3rd gen NESTs, they are stable, online and no battery drain while using CTS 64 and 20/40Mhz channel width. Though I see others are still seeing problems with battery drain. Smiley Frustrated Still wonder if part of this is a NEST issue as well. 

Ya, been fighting with this for a while now. Had a bug report with NG that we just closed yesterday. 

Message 33 of 36
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Tried the 64 CTS/RTS threshold as well as 500-played havoc with the PS4 Pro (might be a hardware issue)-when the PS4 Pro is in auto mode (wireless) there would be frequent disconnects-tried 5GHz only mode would not connect-2.4 GHz mode is the only one that would connect at 64 or 500 CTS/RTS threshold. Changed to 2347 and PS4 Pro would connect in all modes (auto, 5GHz, and 2.4 GHz) and no problem with my Nest 3rd gen thermostats. The trials and tribulations of making one solution every one's solution. I don't know if this is necessarily an issue that NG needs to address-when the PS5 comes out this fall we shall see if updated hardware will allow 64 CTS/RTS threshold.

@FURRYe38 

Message 34 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to send to NG support. Let them know what your seeing between the CTS values you have tired. If this is NGs recommendations for CTS and users are still having problems when using it, then NG may need to make changes and keep tuning the FW if there wanting users to use CTS 64. 

@dglsmcd_USMC wrote:

Tried the 64 CTS/RTS threshold as well as 500-played havoc with the PS4 Pro (might be a hardware issue)-when the PS4 Pro is in auto mode (wireless) there would be frequent disconnects-tried 5GHz only mode would not connect-2.4 GHz mode is the only one that would connect at 64 or 500 CTS/RTS threshold. Changed to 2347 and PS4 Pro would connect in all modes (auto, 5GHz, and 2.4 GHz) and no problem with my Nest 3rd gen thermostats. The trials and tribulations of making one solution every one's solution. I don't know if this is necessarily an issue that NG needs to address-when the PS5 comes out this fall we shall see if updated hardware will allow 64 CTS/RTS threshold.

@FURRYe38 

Message 35 of 36
dtay
Luminary

@dtay wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@dtay wrote:

Haven't tried 64 yet to see if it works with the Chromebooks.  Will test that once I have the opportunity to schedule an outage with the household. 🙂

@FURRYe38 - I've changed the RTS/CTS to 64 (from 2347) and the Chromebook seems to be able connect to the Wi-Fi fine.  Will have the kids test it when they wake up, but will keep it at 64 for now to see what happens.

Did NG mention specifically why we need to be at 64?  Any changelog or technote as to the reasons?

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7