Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850/RBS850: device does not connect to wired satellite, even it is next to it

brisk5181
Tutor

RBR850/RBS850: device does not connect to wired satellite, even it is next to it

I have one RBR850 and two RBS850.

One RBS850 is wireless connected to RBR850 (A)

One RBS850 is wired connected to RBR850 (B)

I have 24 devices connected, but none of them connected to B.  If I remove the wired connection from B, so B becomes wireless connection to RBR850, then I see some devices are connected to B.  If I plug back the wired, then I don't see any connected to B.  During these tests, I did not move the router nor satellites.

Why is that?  I noticed the same behavior from my old RBK50

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850/RBS850: device does not connect to wired satellite, even it is next to it

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What CAT# LAN cable is used between the RBS an RBR? 

Is the RBR and RBS thats ethernet connected directly beind the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between?

Message 2 of 10
brisk5181
Tutor

Re: RBR850/RBS850: device does not connect to wired satellite, even it is next to it

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V4.6.14.3

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Technicolor TC4400, service is 1G down/50Mbps up

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Yes, good quality Cat 6

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

N/A since I am using wired connection

What CAT# LAN cable is used between the RBS an RBR? 

Cat 6

Is the RBR and RBS thats ethernet connected directly beind the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between?

Directly.

Strange thing is, I was actually upgrading from RBK50 (2 satellites) to RBK853.  Everything is the same, routers and satellites were placed where the old device were placed, right after I replaced all orbi devices, my mac and linux both got around 600mbps speed.  Then, after about 20 or 30 minutes, they both were down to 50Mbps.  Both connected to 2.4G. (my mac and linux stayed at the same location before and after the swap).

Also, want to mention, even with my RBK50 kit, wired satellite never get any device connected.

Message 3 of 10
brisk5181
Tutor

I think I know why. 

This is due to Orbi's bug.  If a satellite is wired connected to the router, any clients connected to that satellite will be displayed as wired connected to the router, hence you will see nothing is connected to the router from that satellite.

This bug is still not fixed in the latest firmware.

Now another problem, I know my satellite is wired connected to the router, and my devices are connected to the wired satellite, but in the webui, it shows only 1 satellite (my wireless one), and in the details page it also shows the wired satellite is not available (but it is).

Can you guys fix this bug?

Message 4 of 10
brisk5181
Tutor

Firmware version for all: 7.2.6.21

Same problem even with previous version (4.6.14.xx)

thanks

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS ethernet connected directly behind the RBR or is there a LAN switch or any in wall cabling in between them? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Set the RBS wirelessly first. Make sure it connects wirelessly and test some devices connecting to it while it's wirelessly connected to the RBR. Then try ethernet connected to the RBR. 

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 10
brisk5181
Tutor

Thanks, problem half solved.

If I remove the switch between the router and satellite, the details page shows the wired satellite, however, the summary page still shows 1.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of this switch? 

Message 8 of 10
brisk5181
Tutor

DLink DGS-1024D

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try the RBS eithernet connected with out this switch in the middle. Direct connec the RBS. 

Also make sure that any Green Ethernet features on this particular switch are disabled: 

• 3-pin front panel DIP switch for real-time toggling Energy-efficient Ethernet (EEE), Flow Control, Port Isolation, and Storm Control

Try a different brand and model switch as well: NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7